Interspecies Conflict/Vietnam

Hello there,

There are some special amazing animals from vietnam remaining in the wild. I just want to ask you some questions about these animals conflicts.

Are cats vicious? I am not sure.

Some matchups

2 60 kg sun bears vs large 225 kg indochinese tiger
165 kg indochinese tiger vs 165 kg southchina tiger
2 large 225 kg Indochinese tigers vs water buffalo
water buffalo vs 10 sun bears

Hi Jessica

Haha you'll need to clarify this. What type of cats? Vicious in what way?

1. This tiger should win easily. Far too much for the bears.

2. 50/50, basically nothing separates them.

3. If working together the tigers would almost certainly do it. In real circumstances they'd probably just get in the way of each other though.

4. I think the sun bears will lack the predatory know-how and strength to bring the buffalo down. If they take their time and pick away at the buffalo then sure, they could do it.

Happy Holidays.

Interspecies Conflict

Jim Wilson

I can answer most questions relating to real or hypothetical situations. I have a better understanding of animal behavior and specifically predatory behavior and interspecies predatory relationships. Mammals is my field of expertise but I can do my best in answering questions regarding other animals. Small mammals are my favourite matchups. One or two prehistoric match-ups is OK, but please do not focus on them as they are outside my expertise.

Even before completing my degree I considered myself an expert in mammal behavior. Doing my degree only furthered my interest and knowledge in the subject. After uni I got the opportunity to spend 6 months in South Africa and Kenya where I spent nearly every day basically observing and studying the animals of the savanna.

BSc Degree in Zoology from the Melbourne University, Australia.