Interspecies Conflict/fighting dog breeds

Sam Piper wrote at 2013-01-27 03:49:36
Hi Jim,

Just a few facts to contribute.

Most dog breeds have already established a reputation among the people who use them day after day as a tool. These professionals do not make excuses as to why a dog did not work that day. It either works, or they lose money or their reputation. So they cannot afford to fantasize about their dogs abilities.

In terms of dog fighting, I do not think any one who knows the APBT would think any other breed but an American Staffordshire Terrier or an American Bulldog could compete. This has been established during the days when it was legal.  

During the International Catch Dog Trials run by Art Parker, the top four contenders were: the APBT, the American Bulldog, American Staffordshire, and the Black Mouth Cur. This is a trial where a dog has to catch a wild boar and hold it under control, usually many times its own weight. None of the breeds appeared to be better than the others, but they did have different abilities. For instance, the American Bulldog had more size and muscle on average then the other three. The other three had to make up the difference with grit, agility, and speed. A lot of the Presa Canarios on average did not fare well in the trials. The English and the Bull Mastiffs were not agile enough to avoid getting hurt. The Filas and the Dogo did decent, just not consistently in the top levels of performance. The Bandogs, even when mixed with APBT, just did not have the grit of a purebred.

Out in the field, when boar hunters go hunting, again they choose the four top performers I mentioned previously, but there are some hunters who will swear by the Dogos or Filas, so they should also be considered to be decent workers. Sometimes they will use dogs of uncertain pedigrees (they are picked up cheap), but the dogs rarely last more than a month or two before they are gone.

Bear hunters will use Cur or Hounds to put a bear up a tree. The Montana Department of Fish and Game uses a BMC named Bat to train grizzlies to leave trash cans at campgrounds alone.

Out west, ranchers use BMCs, Catahoula Leopard Curs, Kelpies and a few line of tough Border Collies to handle rank cattle. Those people who make a livelihood of catching runaway crazy cattle at the stockyard, which might try to stomp, hook, or kick a dog trying to control it, usually use a BMC or a Catahoula.

In North America, Cougars are hunted with Curs or Hounds, but down in South America, I believe the Fila and Dogo come into their own tracking the Jaguar. I think the terrain may have something to do with their dominance.

There have been some hunters who tried using the wolf dog crosses, but all the ones I have seen were extremely flighty when charged by another animal even if the crosses had bigger teeth and size than the other dog breeds.

In terms of manstopping; the Fila, the Rottweiler, the Bandog,an American Bulldog, the German Shepherd Dog, and the Doberman reign supreme. I like the Belgiums but they have too low a pain tolerance for my taste but they are a sharp dog. The Bullmastiffs could do the job, but the majority of the ones I have known did not have the right temperament.  Don't even think about English mastiffs, Great Danes, or Irish Wolfhounds as manstoppers as a breed.

Does anyone have a Kangal to be able to say how they stack up alongside the other dog breeds?  

Interspecies Conflict

Jim Wilson

I can answer most questions relating to real or hypothetical situations. I have a better understanding of animal behavior and specifically predatory behavior and interspecies predatory relationships. Mammals is my field of expertise but I can do my best in answering questions regarding other animals. Small mammals are my favourite matchups. One or two prehistoric match-ups is OK, but please do not focus on them as they are outside my expertise.

Even before completing my degree I considered myself an expert in mammal behavior. Doing my degree only furthered my interest and knowledge in the subject. After uni I got the opportunity to spend 6 months in South Africa and Kenya where I spent nearly every day basically observing and studying the animals of the savanna.

BSc Degree in Zoology from the Melbourne University, Australia.