Interspecies Conflict/animal powers

larissa wrote at 2012-08-22 05:17:25
Sumatran tiger vs Asiatic black bear- I say the black bear would win. It is simply bigger on average (350 lbs vs 250 lbs).

Bison vs Lion pride- Lion prides have troubles taking down cape buffalos as cape buffalos are too aggressive, too mobile, and also too robust. I think the same applies to the bison.

Hippo vs walrus- I would not say the hippo in deep water. In deep water, the walrus would be too agile and its 4 ft tusks can pierce through the hippo's thick skin. On land or in shallow water (where the walrus is not very mobile), the hippo can easily avoid it's tusks and deliever a massive bite.

African elephant vs 3 hippos- The hippos can win if they all landed their massive bites to the elephant, but it wont be easy. The elephant, as you said, would be strong, big, and heavy enough to resist the damage and trample the hippos.

Water buffalo vs 2 asiatic black bears- Adult male water buffalos are sometimes preyed on by lone asiatic black bears, and the asiatic black bear kills it by breaking its throat. Two black bears would have more of an advantage, with this kind of buffalo.

Giant eland vs grizzly bear- The grizzly bear has the advantage, although the eland is far bigger (2000 lbs vs 800 lbs). It is quite good in dealing with big hoofed mammals and other big prey, and its brute strength plus powerful compact built is going to be siginificant.

Leopard vs Wildebeest- Unless caught in an ambush, the wildebeest is not losing to a leopard. It is powerfully armed, nearly 3 times the weight of the leopard, and quite robust, aggressive, and fast.

Zebra vs giant eland- The giant eland would win due to the horns and huge size advantage, but the zebra has good chances. Its kicks is so strong that scientists consider that it can break through a lion's skull.

Komodo dragon vs Asiatic black bear- I understand that komodo dragons have very powerful venomous bites, but it would be simply too slow, very poor in fighting, and extremely unagile. The asiatic black bear also has the weaponary, strength, and size to kill the sluggish lizard.

spokes wrote at 2012-10-24 06:15:53
Sumatran tiger vs Asiatic Black bear- Some large asiatic black bears could win, but the sumatran tiger would generally be a little too much. Sumatran tigers are very aggressive and also are much faster/agile than bears. They also have a more killing bite than the asiatic black bear.

Bison vs lion pride- If the lions could get a good hold of the bison, they could well kill it. But a bison is still a formidable animal. They have very robust heads/built and are also very mobile.

Hippo vs walrus- In shallow water, the hippo would win just because of its larger size and enormous bite. Its tusks could penetrate through the walrus's thick skin. The walrus has no chance on land, but in deep water, it would prevail. Hippos arent really good deep swimmers. They are more adapt to shallow water.

African elephant vs 3 hippos- If the fight took place on land, the elephant could destroy all of them. The hippos would have trouble landing their bites on an elephant, and the elephant is generally too powerful for even a white rhino to beat it. In water, the hippos have some chance.

Water buffalo vs 2 asiatic black bears- The asiatic black bears could bring it down due to strength and durability, but the water buffalo is still tough. Water buffalos are quite aggressive, and their horns could cause serious damage to the bears. Water buffalos also have fought off tigers.

Giant eland vs grizzly bear- The giant eland could win due to size and dangerous horns. But the grizzly bear has some chance. Grizzly bears have hunted adult moose, which are more powerful than giant elands. They also show they know how to avoid antlers/hoofs.

Leopard vs wildebeest- Leopards max out at 200 lbs, as wildebeests can grow to sizes of 500 lbs. The wildebeest is too big, too powerfully built, and too well armed for a leopard to beat in a fight.

Zebra vs giant eland- The giant eland is 2 times the size of a large zebra, and would win without much trouble. Its horns could also do damage to the zebra.

Komodo dragon vs Asiatic Black bear- Komodo dragons are very poor fighters and are very unagile/sluggish. The asiatic black bear could use its powerful forelimbs, size, and strength to kill the reptile.  

alias wrote at 2012-12-20 07:00:59
Jim's answers are not bad

1) I'd go with the sumatran tiger. It could be a little bit smaller than the asiatic black bear, but it is much quicker and is a mighty aggressive killer. Close fight though.

2) A whole pride of lions includes up to 15 lions. The bison wont stand much chance.

3) Hippo wins. Its bite could do quite a damage to the walrus, and the walrus cant catch it.

4) Still favor the elephant. It would be literally around the weight of them combined and should be able to flatten them out.

5) Water buffalos arent particulary fast moves and are sluggish. If the asiatic black bears take their time and work together, they could bring it down.

6) The grizzly bear would win on occasion, but more than not the giant eland would counter it. Bears arent well designed to take on big prey.

7) In a fight, the wildebeest should win. Too big, quick, and well armed.

8) The giant eland wins simply cause of size and horns.

9) The asiatic black bear. The komodos bite could kill it, but the asiatic black bear has forelimbs/weaponary to deter and kill it.  

Interspecies Conflict

Jim Wilson

I can answer most questions relating to real or hypothetical situations. I have a better understanding of animal behavior and specifically predatory behavior and interspecies predatory relationships. Mammals is my field of expertise but I can do my best in answering questions regarding other animals. Small mammals are my favourite matchups. One or two prehistoric match-ups is OK, but please do not focus on them as they are outside my expertise.

Even before completing my degree I considered myself an expert in mammal behavior. Doing my degree only furthered my interest and knowledge in the subject. After uni I got the opportunity to spend 6 months in South Africa and Kenya where I spent nearly every day basically observing and studying the animals of the savanna.

BSc Degree in Zoology from the Melbourne University, Australia.