Interspecies Conflict/Tigers vs Bears

Tools wrote at 2012-09-28 04:49:27
Hello there.

Just to know that it only takes a similar sized bear (except sloth bears) in order to beat a tiger. Sloth bears wont work against a bengal tiger in a fight since they are lightly built, have weak bites, and arent used to hunting prey like other bears. In northern india, sloth bears often fall prey to bengal tigers as they are totally disadvantaged in fights and are also much smaller than them. The asiatic black bear isnt a frequent prey by bengal tigers, although there was a case where an adult bengal tiger killed a 600 lb asiatic black bear in northeast india. Asiatic black bears in siberia have been known to chase off adult female siberian tigers from kills. They are both same in weight.

Thank you

clouds wrote at 2012-09-28 04:54:09
I would say a bengal tiger would win a fight with an asiatic black bear 7/10 times. The asiatic black bear is very carnivorous, very aggressive, very powerful, has powerful long forelimbs, and also has a quite dangerous bite. But it simply is not big enough to do much damage. An average bengal tiger at 450 lbs would be able to defend itself from a 300 lb asiatic black bear.  

crimmer wrote at 2012-10-05 05:00:07
Brown bears in east siberia coexist with the siberian tiger, and if they fought (which would be sometimes likely), the fight would be very close. Tigers are more agile, far more predatory, and faster than bears, and they also have a more killing bite. However, brown bears are just much larger and the far more durable robust animal.  

arnold wrote at 2012-10-21 06:19:28
More information

Adult sloth bears have drove tigers from kills due to the fact sloth bears are very aggressive. The bengal tiger only hunts them by ambush, in which they pin the bear down with their heavier weight and reach for its neck. In a front on front fight, the sloth bear would have better odds. Its claws are very long and dangerous, in which can cause serious damage to the tiger. There was an incident where a 150 lb female sloth bear with cubs quickly scared off a male and female bengal tiger. Also, a male sloth bear of 330 lbs was recorded to give a tigress with cubs a hard time.

The siberian tiger is known to prey on large brown bears, but only in an ambush. They usually prefer to kill them while they hibernate. Brown bears have followed up siberian tigers to steal their prey whenever possible. They also have been known to kill them for the matter of territory. In a front on front fight, it could struggle a lot. The brown bear would just be too strong, aggressive, large, and robust. Male Brown bears in siberia weigh 800 lbs on average, as siberian tigers average 550 lbs. Siberian tigers can definitely beat ussuri black bears due to the fact that they are only 400 lbs at average sizes.

The bengal tiger can approach sizes of 600 lbs at max. The siberian tiger maximum size is around 800 lbs, but 700 lbs is probably more comfirmed.  

sum wrote at 2012-10-27 05:44:50
Brown bears are just too much for even the largest siberian tigers to beat. However, an american black bear of 100 or 110 lbs weight advantage would be a fair fight.

550 lb Siberian tiger vs 660 lb American Black bear- Close to 50/50. The siberian tiger is very durable for a tiger and has a stronger bite than other tiger species. But the black bear would be nearly as powerful and is also has higher stamina.  

Interspecies Conflict

Jim Wilson