Interspecies Conflict/Battles

Hello again Jonathan,nice to be contacting you again!Any ways here are some animal fights i would like to get your answers on!And here they are.

Blue Wildebeest vs Pygmy Hippo

Yak vs Green Anaconda

Gorilla vs Ostrich

Bobcat vs Coyote

American Bison vs Gaur

Black Caimon vs Water Buffalo

Hippo vs Walrus

Black Rhino vs Giraffe

Hello Trish.

This question was moved to the question pool; hope you don't mind if I answer it for you.

Blue Wildebeest vs Pygmy Hippo: These two animals weigh the same.  The wildebeest is almost twice as tall at the shoulders.  The wildebeest uses its sharp, curved horns to battle with, and its long legs will give it the ability to move around more quickly than the shorter pygmy hippo.  The hippo has a dangerous bite, but it will probably be too slow to catch the wildebeest in its jaws.  Edge to the blue wildebeest.

Yak vs Green Anaconda: Yaks are huge bovids that can weigh well over a ton.  The green anaconda only gets about 1/5th as heavy.  If this battle occurs on land, the yak will simply trample it with its hooves.  Anacondas are great at ambush, but they aren't good fighters on land against large, mobile animals.  Anacondas also get tired very quickly if they exert themselves on land.  In shallow water, the anaconda can move around faster and with a lot more ease.  However, it still won't be able to overcome the yak.  An anaconda can squeeze (and suffocate) an animal as large as a horse, but the yak is much larger than most horses.  If the anaconda coils around the yak's neck, the yak might be in trouble, but the chances are slim the snake will get into a position to do this.  Yak wins.

Gorilla vs Ostrich: The ostrich will weigh about 3/4th the weight of the gorilla.  Gorillas are very strong animals, but they don't have predatory instincts and don't typically battle other types of animals.  The ostrich stands almost 9ft tall, and can injure attacking animals with its strong kicks.  If a gorilla got mad and attacked an ostrich, it could easily grab it and pull it to the ground.  However, the gorilla might not know to do this.  A gorilla usually bites & clubs with its arms to fight, but it would be kicked by the ostrich if it tried to hit it or bite it without pulling it to the ground.  This fight could go either way depending on how it plays out, but I think the gorilla will be intelligent enough to know it needs to knock the bird over or pull it down (and it as the strength to do this).  In a normal encounter, the ostrich would likely drive the normally-passive gorilla away, but a fight where both are willing to engage it would be different.  If the ostrich starts kicking at the gorilla and it doesn't have a way to escape, it will likely grab the bird and overpower it.  Edge to gorilla.  

Bobcat vs Coyote: The bobcat will weigh almost 75% the weight of the coyote.  Bobcats are fierce combatants with great agility, speed, and sharp claws.  Coyotes have a bigger bite & don't get tired as easily.  The coyote would likely rush right in and try to bite the bobcat, and be met with a face full of claws & fury.  The bobcat would likely roll on its back (a tactic most cats use) and use all four claws to rake away at the coyote.  The coyote's bite is its only weapon.  This is a close fight, but the coyote would need more than a 50% weight advantage to be favored.  Bobcat wins.

American Bison vs Gaur: These bovids can weigh more than a ton, but the gaur is typically heavier.  The bison has a very solidly built shoulder & neck area (half of its weight is in front of its shoulders), and it uses its head like a battering ram in conflicts.  The gaur is extremely muscular, and has sharp horns on its head to fight with.  At equal weights these animals would be close to evenly matched, but the gaur will win with this weight advantage.  Gaur wins.

Black Caiman vs Water Buffalo: Water buffalo can weigh over a ton, and are 2 to 3 times heavier than a large black caiman.  The buffalo will trample the black caiman on land, and the caiman won't be able to move the buffalo at all even if it grabs onto it with its jaws.  Caimans, like many crocodilians, are slow-moving on land and get tired easily.  In the water, the caiman would be able to move around better, but it would still be too small to tackle a water buffalo.  It would take a huge Nile or saltwater crocodile to tackle a bovid of this size, and shallow water would be needed.  Water buffalo wins.

Hippo vs Walrus: Hippos are usually heavier than walruses (around 50% more).  Hippopotamuses have jaws that can open almost 4ft wide, and they have large teeth that can bite & slash opponents.  Walruses have thick, tough hide that gives them great protection from many attacks and long tusks (around 3ft long) that can be used to stab.  If a hippo battled a walrus on land, the hippo would be able to move around much easier than the walrus could.  It could bite the walrus and probably avoid getting stabbed with its tusks most of the time.  The hippo's bite wouldn't be able to get through the hide of the walrus easily, but it could do it using the sharp-edged lower canines in its jaws.  The walrus could injury the hippo with its tusks if the hippo got into range, but the walrus would have a hard time hitting its mark without being able to move around well.  In shallow water, the walrus could move around a little better, but it wouldn't be enough to give it a good chance against the larger hippo.  In water deep enough for the walrus to swim around freely, it would gain the upper hand against the hippo.  It would be able to swim around easily and stab the hippo with its tusks.  Hippos can't swim, but they walk along the bottom of the river and push off on the ground to bounce up and down when they move about.  Hippo wins on land or in shallow water; walrus wins in water over 5 or 6 ft deep.

Black Rhino vs Giraffe: These animals usually weigh about the same (around 1.5 tons).  The black rhinoceros is aggressive & built like a tank.  It has a frontal horn that can reach 5ft in length, and the rhino can use this weapon with a lot of force.  Giraffes are typically peaceful animals, but they can deliver powerful kicks with their heavy hooves to deter enemies.  A kick from a giraffe can injure most other animals with a direct hit, but it will find it hard to connect its hoof into a charging rhinoceros.  The rhino can readily thrust its horn into the taller animal, and has the power to knock the giraffe over with a charge.  The rhino's higher level of aggression & better weaponry make it too formidable for a giraffe to deal with.  Black rhinoceros wins.

Have a nice day!
Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.