Interspecies Conflict/House cat vs other animals

Question
Hello! IŽd be interested of knowing how regular house cats would fight other animals they might encounter while roaming around.  

- House cat vs hare
- House cat vs ferret
- House cat vs European pine marten
- House cat vs mink
- House cat vs fox
- House cat vs European viper snake
- House cat vs fisher
- House cat vs poodle
- House cat vs Yorkshire terrier
- House cat vs miniature dachshund

And tongue-in-cheek, house cat the size of a human vs his/her owner :-)

Thank you in advance!

Answer
Hey Peter! Lovely to hear from you!

1. Well Hare's can actually grow larger than your average house cat (around 14-15lbs) and are actually well equipped for survival against lesser predators. They are of course extremely agile, and surprisingly robust, with powerful back legs that give them remarkable speed and stamina, and they are armed with very long front teeth and have claws that can do some damage. Like cats, they have the ability to use their forelimbs offensively.

House cats possess the fundamental weaponry that all felines have (speed, agility, sharp claws, the ability to use their forearms and jaws in battle) but they're at a much lower capacity due to their domestic adaptations. Their heads are much smaller than wild cats, they are less muscles and compact physically and most importantly they lack the same agggressive, predatory instincts as Big and feral Cats which does put them at a disadvantage against wild animals, who have inbuilt defensive strategies and equipment.

A lot also depends on the individual, with some house cats being bolder and more aggressive than others, but generally I would expect the Hare to win by forcing the cat to retreat. I've known instances of Rabbits and Hares behaving VERY aggressively around domestic cats, ripping and biting at them causing very nasty injuries in some cases.

2. A House Cat easily. They far out-weigh any species of ferret, and their weaponry is far superior. A cat would be able to overpower the ferret with its foreclaws and deliver a fatal bite. That's of course if a house cat was especially determined.

3. Both very similar in size, but the Pine Marten is a wild animal, and thus will have a pre-disposed level of aggression that the cat does not. Wild animals generally are much more robust than domestic cats and their whole physiology is built for survival against predators and other opponents so they know how to defend themselves.

I think the Pine Marten can be victorious here.

4. Well Mink are much smaller than house cats and their weaponry is much less defined as a result. They have very stout, small snouts that don't give them much range when it comes to using their jaws as a weapon, and their bodies are very lithe and lightweight and not as robust and athletic as a cats.

I favour the cat here.

5. Canids that are much larger than cats (which most foxes most certainly are) will always do well against them. Foxes themselves are agile, very robust with high levels of stamina and are skilled predators, plus the all important factor that they are WIlD and will have a much more heightened degree of aggression.

Some Foxes can reach over 20lbs. Cats are fundamentally stronger than dogs, but they need to be the same size or bigger to utilise their superior strength and equipment over them. The Fox wins this.

6. I doubt any house cat would know how to successfully tackle a wild serpent. One bad move and the serpent can inflict nasty, piercing strikes with those fangs which produce venom that can linger in the bloodstream for a long time.

The Viper Snake wins.

7. Close contest again in size, strength and equipment, but the Fisher's robust athleticism and keener predatory aggression would probably prove decisive. They are very athletic for their size, with muscular, compact frames that are much more defined than animals like Feretts and Mink.

8. Poodles are much too large for any house cat to tackle. Some Male Poodles can exceed 50lbs, 3 times heavier than even the largest of house cats.

Poodle wins.

9. Now, unlike the larger Poodle, the Yorkshire Terrier is roughly the same size as a domestic cat, which means their strengths are negated against the cat's superior weaponry. The house cat is considerably more athletic, able to dodge and avoid any attacks by the Terrier and can out-maneuver and claw the dog repeatedly, and is strong enough to clasp onto the dog and use its jaws to great effect too.

I doubt a domestic cat would ever try and kill a Yorkshire Terrier though.

10. Same as above. A dog's skill set in comparison to a similar sized or bigger cat is just completely inferior. Plus a Dachshund's complete lack of agility puts it at a disadvantage from the off.

11. Well yes, if a house cat was the size of an average human man (72kg) and an average human woman (70kg), then it would be much stronger and far better equipped than a human being. It wouldn't be as dangerous to a human as a real big cat, as it wouldn't be as muscular, with such dense bones and large skulls as a Jaguar, Lion etc, but it of course could overpower and cause sufficient enough harm to a human.

Humans are a very weak species physically. Our bones are slender, our skin is extremely light, and we lack the fundamental strength and stamina of large mammals, and especially predators.

Thanks for the great questions Peter! Keep them coming!

Jonathan.  

Interspecies Conflict

Jonathan