Interspecies Conflict/varied

Question
hey jonathan how are you?always thought a honey badger was one of the toughest animals on the earth for size and strength.so few match ups here.honey badger vs leopard.honey badger vs 20ft rock python.honey badger vs 20ft green anaconda.honey badger vs wolverine tough match up that one.honey badger vs pitbull.and finally if you dropped a 600lb siberian tiger in the amazon do you think it would be top predator?thanks jonathan:)

Answer
Hi Christian! Lovely to hear from you.

Honey Badgers are very robust mustelids, with very stocky, muscular, thickly-skinned proportions for their size and equipped with quite effective weaponry with those long ranged claws. Of course their real trump card is their relentless aggression, which they will rely on for nearly every defensive situation. Here's how they would match up against the animals you mentioned:

1. The Leopard would win if it was fully determined in a fight. Leopards are cautious predators who always prioritise their physical well-being over most confrontation, because any injury can be detrimental or even fatal to their lifestyle so it could be forced into retreat by the Badger's aggression.  

Leopards however can be over 3 times as heavy as Honey Badgers, and have much more substantial weaponry. Those big muscular forearms, those sharp, rapier claws and those ferocious canines that would finish any Honey Badger off very quickly. They are formidable predators and amazing physical specimens in comparison to the much smaller Honey Badger. Leopard wins.

2. Although serpents are at a disadvantage to animals that can mobilise themselves around the snake to target its fragile head, the Python would probably be too large for the Badger to successfully tackle. Although Python's being reptiles aren't agile or quick on land, they can still retaliate very well with sudden bursts of attack using their huge fangs to cause serious damage, alongside those rippled coil of thick muscles that can strangulate large antelope.

I think it would be far too much of a risk for the Honey Badger. It's too small and out-matched.

3. Same as above.

4. I'd favour the Wolverine. They're heavier, with huge muscled bodies for their size, packed with thick neck muscles and powerful forelimbs that are laced with piercing claws. They are incredibly robust and resilient mammals with formidable weaponry that can rival the Honey Badger for aggression and primal tenacity.

Wolverine wins.

5. I'd favour the Honey Badger, even at a weight disadvantage. Pit Bulls seem voraciously aggressive to us, but compared to wild, undomesticated animals their ferocity is so much less, having none of the primal instincts that other animals rely on to survive. Yes they are very robust domestic dogs, but they would be at a loss to consistently compete with the Honey Badger's high octane and relentless attack, with those raking forelimbs able to do so much damage, causing extremely serious lacerations and incisions.

Dogs are always at a disadvantage against animals that can use their jaws and forelimbs defensively, as canids only have one primary, and limited form of attack and defense (their jaws).

6. It's very hypothetical this question, and environmental concerns play a part (temperature, landscape, the availability for a constant supply of food etc). That said Tigers are very adaptive predators and used to frequent diverse habitats all around Europe through to India and  places like Indo-China, Sumatra etc.

The advantage would be that they would be the Apex predator completely, as the Jaguar would be supplanted and there are no social prides of Cats (like Lions in Africa and India) that would limit their access to prey or territory. A Siberian Tiger at this size would dominate against even the largest Male Jaguars (that can reach over 150kg in some extreme circumstances).

So yes, HYPOTHETICALLY speaking, a Siberian Tiger could become the Apex predator in the Amazon, on a purely theoretical basis.

Thanks so much for the questions Christian! Please always send more!

Jonathan.

Interspecies Conflict

Jonathan