Interspecies Conflict/Another enhanced fight

Question
Hey BK, thanks for the great answers again! I have one more enhanced animal for you: a grizzly bear with a thick, muscular tail (similar to an alligator) that can be whipped around readily, with great force, to knock opponents down. Let's say this adds circa 80 kilograms to the weight of the grizzly.

How will it do against:

1--a normal grizzly at parity
2--a male lion that weighs 100 lbs. less
3--a lion at exact parity
4--an alligator at exact parity, on land, in shallow water, and in deep water
5--a fighting bull at exact parity
6--a game-bred fighting dog at exact parity

7--How would my clawed olive baboon from last question do against an alpha male lion at exact parity?

8--Spotted hyena vs. triceratops at exact parity

Thanks!

Answer
Hello Martin.

1.  enhanced grizzly vs normal grizzly (at parity): I'm not sure how much the tail will help the enhanced grizzly bear in this particular fight.  It might, though.  Because this is a parity matchup and the tail accounts for 80kg (almost 18% of the bear's weight), the enhanced grizzly will have a smaller, less robust build than the normal grizzly throughout the rest of its body.  The normal grizzly will have bigger jaws & paws (about 7% larger), and will be stronger at the point of contact (grabbing & swiping face-to-face).  If the enhanced grizzly can strike the normal grizzly with its tail while they are clenched in a stand-up wrestling war (which is typical of bears), it might have a chance to gain the edge.  However, I see the normal grizzly overpowering it enough to take the tail out of the equation.  Normal grizzly wins.

2.  enhanced grizzly vs male lion (100lb less than bear):  This will be a close fight.  As with the normal grizzly matchup, it depends on how actively the enhanced grizzly uses its tail (does it swing the tail as often as it swings its paws?).  Assuming the bear weighs the same as a normal large grizzly (we'll use 454kg), the tail will again be 80kg, and the rest of the bear will be 374kg.  The enhanced grizzly, without the tail, would be the size of a grizzly that weighs 374kg.  The lion will weigh 408kg.  I favor this lion to defeat this grizzly because the cat has a 9% weight advantage, but the addition of the tail could to be enough of an upgrade for the bear to close the gap.  I think it will be.  With the ensuing struggle, there will be plenty of opportunities for the bear to swing its heavy tail into the lion (possibly stunning it).  Edge to the enhanced grizzly.

3.  enhanced grizzly vs lion (at parity):  The enhanced grizzly will have some trouble here.  Considering the tail changes the distribution of the grizzly's 454kg, the front part of the bear will weigh a little over 82% of the lion's weight.  The tail could come into play, but the lion will be able to hold its own physically with the bear long enough to get favorable position to land a finishing bite.  It won't be easy, but the lion has the edge.

4a.  enhanced grizzly vs alligator (at parity; on land): An alligator has limited mobility on land, and tires quickly.  The bear will have greater endurance, and should be rotund & thick enough to battle its way out even if the jaws of the reptile latch on.  The bear's tail could be used to bash into the gator as well.  Enhanced grizzly wins.

4b.  enhanced grizzly vs alligator (at parity; in shallow water): This battle will be more competitive than the one on land.  The alligator will have better mobility, and its endurance will improve a little (because movement will require less energy).  The enhanced grizzly will be OK if the water depth isn't enough to impede its movement (so it can effectively strike with its paws & tail), but if the water is over 3/4 of a meter deep, the alligator will have more room to move & employ its offense (jaws & death roll).  At this depth it is probably an even battle; less depth favors the bear, more depth favors the gator.

4c.  enhanced grizzly vs alligator (at parity; in deep water): The bear won't be able to apply force with its striking weapons if its paws can't touch the bottom.  It would have to cling to the alligator with its claws and gnaw on it to injure it at all, but the more likely result would be the much more maneuverable alligator clamping onto a limb and drowning the bear.  Alligator wins.

5.  enhanced grizzly vs fighting bull (at parity): I would slightly favor a normal grizzly bear to defeat a fighting bull at parity, and a bear the size of the front part of this bear would make for a very close fight with the bull even at 82% of its weight.  In this particular matchup, the tail serves as a bonus, but the bear will need to use it when it can.  The tail can strike the bull if the bear is attacked from the side, and its strong paws can control the front of the bull to some degree.  A lot of this depends on how effectively the bear can actually use its tail while being charged at by this powerful bovid.  This should be a very close fight, and I'd probably call it a 50/50.  If i had to go one way or the other, I'd slightly favor the enhanced grizzly bear.

6.  enhanced grizzly vs game-bred fighting dog (at parity): The best fighting dog pound-for-pound is the American pit bull terrier.  If this dog was assigned the bear's weight (454kg), it would be almost 1.4 meters tall (taller than the bear) at the shoulder.  The tail would not come in play very much for the bear because the pit bull would rush right in and clamp onto the bear's neck or face with its jaws.  The bear would have to fight out of this position with its front claws.  It could certainly claw the dog as it rushed in, but the dog would be determined to sink its teeth into the bear quickly.  I received a question a while back (called "Top 10" on 8/29/13) where I answered a grizzly bear vs pit bull at parity matchup that provides some detail if you want to read it.  Close fight, but I give the edge to the American pit bull terrier.  The only other dog I would favor over this enhanced grizzly at parity would be a Staffordshire bull terrier (which is similar to an APBT, but usually weighs 60% of its weight).

7.  enhanced clawed olive baboon vs alpha male lion (at parity): Here is the description you gave of this baboon:

"My latest creature is a baboon with cat claws on the end of all of its fingers. In every other way it's a normal baboon but it has fearsome talons now. With the great arm and hand strength that baboons and other simians have, it could do a ton of damage, I think."

I added this to assign what species our enhanced clawed baboon would be:

"There are a few species of baboon to choose from.  For this question I'll use a large olive baboon (about 37kg) as it is solid & strong."

A large African lion can weigh up to 250kg (but they average about 182kg).  A baboon of this weight would be about 10% taller at the shoulder than the lion.  The talons would definitely aid the baboon in gripping onto the lion, and would be useful in slashing at the lion during the fight.  The lion would be physically stronger, but the baboon's teeth would be over 8.5 centimeters long (67% longer than the lion's).  Both would have the important ability to grab & bite, but the lion's more powerful body & killing know-how would give it the slightest of edges (the baboon's attack would be somewhat random; the lion's attack would be more precise).  Lion wins.  

8.  spotted hyena vs triceratops (at parity): In order for these 2 to be the same weight, the spotted hyena would need to be about 40% taller than the dinosaur.  The triceratops won't be as quick as, let's say, a warthog would be, but it will be better armored.  Hyenas aren't the most graceful movers themselves, however, and any attempt by one to bite the triceratops will put it in danger of being speared by the reptile's horns.  The hyena will have better lateral movement than the triceratops, and it will have a decent chance to get in a few good bites before it gets impaled.  If the triceratops keeps the hyena in front of it (and turns quickly when the hyena attacks from the side), it will be able to defeat the hyena more times than not.  The key is how much damage the triceratops will do when it turns into the hyena (which will undoubtedly get to the dinosaur's side on occasion and land a bite) and rams into it.  Another factor would be the endurance of Triceratops, the nature of which isn't set in stone.  The triceratops was probably accustomed to making quick turns to repel a Tyrannosaurus-rex attacking from the side, so I imagine it could do the same with a spotted hyena (even though the spotted hyena might have had better lateral movement than the T-rex).  Probably close to a 50/50, but my money's on the Triceratops.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

BK