Interspecies Conflict/Its Tejas Again

Dear Mr. BK,

Its me, Tejas, again. According to, the maximum size a Liopleurodon could get is 5 tons.

It does seem correct for a 10 m animal, considering that T. rex weighed at a maximum of 6.8 metric tons despite measuring a maximum of 12.8 meters.

Using this as a factor, the size of an animal could be to a ratio of 17:32.

Considering this, Tyrannosaurus is a very different animal from a Pliosaur like L. ferox.

Hence, let us take a relative of L. ferox, Kronosaurus, weighing 7 metric tons and measuring 10 m.

A ratio of 7:10 can be taken to Liopleurodon, also measuring 10 meters, meaning Liopleurodon, at highest estimate, would have weighed 7 metric tons, compared to Livyatan's 45-50 tons, and a Sperm whale's 60 tons.

This is my personal list of Top 10 animals:

1. C. megalodon
2. The Monster of Aramberri
3. L. mellvilei
4. P. macromerus
5. P. funkei
6. P. macrophelus (Sperm Whale)
7. C. chubutensis
8. Mosasaurus
9. Tylosaurus
10. O. orca (Killer Whale)

Please tell me if you agree with this list.

Also, there are two species of animal I have created.

1. Helloid (Fenrirus maximus)
Below are its characteristics:

Kingdom - Animalia
Phylum - Chordata
Class - Mammalia
Order - Carnivora
Family - Mustelidae
Genus - Fenrirus
Species - F. maximus

A tenacious, 250 kilogram mustelid. 4 inch canines, 4 inch claws. 1500 pound bite force. Excellent swimmer. Speed 80 km/h (running). Mainly terrestrial animal. Opportunistic ambush predator. Thick fur with random sharp bristles measuring 1 cm in length as defense. Jet-black in color, superb night-vision, both nocturnal and diurnal. Excellent sense of smell, able to smell a drop of blood 70 m away. Lives in packs of up to 50 in number, headed by an alpha male and an alpha female. Females and males equal in size.
Males experienced in combat, but still prefer ambush attack. Bristles can detect the slightest sound vibrations.

2. Drakon eagle (Harpagornis agrios)

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Aves
Order: Accipitriformes
Family: Accipitridae
Genus: Harpargornis
Species: H. agrios

Females weigh 18 kilograms, wingspan 11 m, claw force 600 pounds, sharp, powerful beak. Males 15 kilograms, wingspan 7 m, claw force 400 pounds. Females larger, more powerful than males. Live in flocks of an average 50 birds, 25 females, 25 males. Excellent eyesight, and swift flyers. Hunting groups consist of 10 animals. Hunt close to territory. Nest in ground, near trees. Prefer grasslands close to rivers. Entire flock defends hunting groups.

1. In which area of the world would the above animals live?
2. Male Helloid vs Male African Lion
3. Nile crocodile vs 5 drakon eagles
4. What would be preferred prey of drakon eagles?
5. What would be the preferred prey of Helloids?
6. 5 Helloids vs White Rhino
7. 5 Helloids vs Nile crocodile
8. Flock of drakon eagles vs bull African Elephant

Regardless of the fictional animals, which would be the top 10 animals in combat judging in equal sizes (pound-for-pound)? Wouldn't eagles, mustelids and hyenas dominate the list?

Thank you a lot, and apologizing for any offence,

Hello Tejas.

The upper estimations of weight for Liopleurodon were made with the assumption that the animal achieved lengths much greater than 10 meters.  You'll find weight estimates ranging from 5 tons to 100 tons, and length estimations from 7 meters to 25 meters.

The accuracy of your list depends on what weights you assign to each animal.  Looks like a good list, though.

1. In which area of the world would the above animals live?  The Helloid would likely live in any lightly-forest area (to allow for ambush & fast running) and could survive in colder climates.  The drakon eagles could live in grasslands of very continent (except Antarctica) and would probably prefer Africa, North America, Europe, & Asia.

2. Male Helloid vs Male African Lion: The Helloid would likely win.  It weighs just as much as the lion, and being a mustelid, is every bit as strong.  Its claws & teeth are more impressive than the lion's, and its hide would offer it a decent defense against the lion's attack.

3. Nile crocodile vs 5 drakon eagles: I'd probably go with the crocodile unless the eagles were persistent.  Despite the eagle's 11-meter wingspan, it only weighs 18kg (which would mean its wings are narrow or its body is light in build).  The birds could prevail if they attacked the head area (and remained wary of the jaws), but it would take a long time to make any headway with any area covered in osteoderms.  The birds could tire the crocodile out if they made it react to their attacks, but the crocodile's head can make sudden movements side-to-side to catch any bird in range. Depends on the bird's mentality.

4. What would be preferred prey of drakon eagles? Other birds (on land or in air) would be targets as well as anything from rodents to mid-sized mammals.  A group of 10, working together, could overpower herbivores as large as zebra as long as they didn't get in each other's way with their very long wings.

5. What would be the preferred prey of Helloids? Almost anything would likely be on the menu, but a group with 50 members would likely want to target larger game to feed the clan.  If they attack as a group, they will be able to tackle large bovids, cervids, and other hooved animals.  Solo hunters would still be successful, but would likely target shorter animals like suids.

6. 5 Helloids vs White Rhino: Not having the leaping ability of a big cat might hamper the efforts of each member, but they have a shot to pull this off.  If the Helloids use their claws to grip into the rhino's hide & hold on, they can drive their canines into it without having to worry about the rhino's frontal horn.  If the mustelids try to slash at the rhino without securing a grip on it, they will be picked off by the powerful horn thrusts of the huge beast.  The Helloids have the weaponry to succeed, and will likely have the game plan to do so.

7. 5 Helloids vs Nile crocodile: The Helloids should easily prevail on land or in shallow water.  The long, piercing claws can stick into the crocodile in either location and enable the long canines to be driven into a vulnerable area (side, head, or belly).  The bite force of the mammals will allow them to quickly injure the reptile, and their collective attack should wear the crocodile down.  Only in deep water will the more powerful movements of the crocodile allow it to win.

8. Flock of drakon eagles vs bull African Elephant: If it is a hunting group or 10, they will likely be swatted away by the elephant's trunk if they get into range.  A collective effort by 10 drakon eagles would lead to an eventual victory if they strategized & remained diligent, but it would take a very, very long time.  The beaks of the birds could be used offensively as they held onto an area of the elephant away from its trunk with their talons, but it wouldn't be worth the time & effort.  The whole flock would have a better chance if they rotated attacks (to stay out of each other's way), but it would still take more time than it would probably be worth.

Top ten animals in combat (pound-for-pound)

* I'll exclude aquatic animals & insects/arachnids for now; I'll include them later if you'd like me to.

1.  Jaguar
2.  Lion
3.  Tiger
4.  Leopard
5.  Wolverine
6.  Honey badger
7.  Snow leopard
8.  Puma
9.  Grizzly bear
10. American pitbull terrier (game-bred)

Others high on the list include black bears, baboons, hyenas, elephants, rhinos, wild boars, tasmanian devils, and venomous snakes like the king cobra & spitting cobra.  The animals in the top 10 are almost interchangeable; a jaguar vs a pitbull of equal weight would actually be a decent fight.  Rhino vs grizzly at equal weights would be close as well.

I don't rate eagles & other birds of prey highly without the benefit of ambush.  They don't take damage well at all (bones are light to enable skillful flight), and they don't offer much in terms of offense once grounded against an equal-sized terrestrial predator.  With ambush they could conquer any animal on this list, though.

I may have left an animal or two off by accident, but these are the ones I can think of at the moment.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.