Interspecies Conflict/Triceraton continued

Thanks for the prompt and excellent reply, BK. Just to clarify a couple things--the triceraton can and does grab and grapple with its forelegs, just not as quickly as a cat would. It doesn't use them to slap like a cat or bear would, however. It attack sequence is always rolling attack (similar to Sonic the Hedgehog) first, then knocking you down with its tail, poison breath if necessary, and finally grabbing and finishing with its bite. When cornered and desperate it leaps up and attempts to stomp on its enemies.

When a triceraton is not attacking, it normally moves quadrupedally, to graze.

Here are a few web resources on Triceraton:

A few more triceraton fights:

1--Triceraton vs. fighting bull at standard weights; triceraton is about one-third the size of the bull (but it is far more resistant than anything else that size to its horns)
2--Triceraton vs. fighting bull at parity
3--Triceraton vs. spotted hyena at parity (agility is about equal but triceraton is faster; triceraton has less endurance but far more weaponry; triceraton has almost 3x the jaw force of a mature spotted hyena)
5--Triceraton vs. short-faced bear at normal weights (using conservative estimated weight for Arctodus)
6--Triceraton vs. alligator snapping-turtle at exact parity

Hello again Martin.

Triceraton vs fighting bull: This would be a dangerous fight for Triceraton.  Fighting bulls are very aggressive, packed with muscle, and have the ability to make quick, powerful charges and turns to use their forward-pointing horns to great effect against an enemy.  There would be a small window of opportunity for Triceraton to utilize its specialized weaponry (and it would have to choose the correct one) before the bull inflicted concussive injuries to it.  The armor-like skin of Triceraton would provide some protection from the horns' penetration, but the force of the bull's head crashing into it would stun (and perhaps disable) it.  The fighting bull has enough mobility & agility to make this a uniquely dangerous matchup for Triceraton.  Triceraton might get a direct hit on the bull with a rolling attack (and this might be its best chance), but it could easily be met by sharp horns at the point of contact.  Its poison breath/noxious gas could take effect as well, but it might not be enough to prevent the initial attack of the fighting bull.  Biting the bull on the snout or the legs would be a decent tactic, but this would require a level of precision that would put Triceraton at risk while the attempt was being made.  While I certainly believe the Triceraton has the assets to pull this off, I don't think it will prevail most of the time at these weights.  Fighting bull wins.  

Triceraton v fighting bull (at parity):  This is a better fight for Triceraton.  A similar-sized fighting bull won't have the great size advantage to make a considerable impact with its horns, and Triceraton will have better results with its poison attacks and quick bites.  Triceraton may be roughed up a bit at the conclusion of the battle, but it should have the adequate means to defeat the fighting bull.  A rolling attack may not connect first time out, but any direct hit would definitely take the bull out of commission on most occasions.  Triceraton wins.

Triceraton vs spotted hyena (at parity): Another good fight for Triceraton.  Spotted hyenas are durable & have very strong jaws, but they are somewhat ungainly in their overall movement.  The hyena's jaws are its only weapon, and Triceraton likely knows this.  A direct bite from the spotted hyena won't easily breach the osteoderm-covered hide of Triceraton, but a counter-bite from Triceraton will cause more damage to the body of the hyena.  A rolling attack, if on the mark, will put the spotted hyena down for the count.  The poison/noxious gas attack will be effective, but Triceraton should be able to win without employing it.  Triceraton wins.  

Triceraton vs short-faced bear: A short-faced bear (Arctodus) weighed about a ton, which is over 4 times the weight of Triceraton.  Arctodus, on paper, is a more formidable animal overall than the fighting bull, but the specific way the bear will attack will offer Triceraton better ways to achieve victory.  A rolling attack against the bear (which will have some effect but may need to be repeated) has a good chance to make contact due to the bear's size and limited lateral movement.  The bite of Triceraton will have a better chance to make contact here (than with the bull) because the motion of the bear won't be as swift.  The big advantage Triceraton will have is the exploitation of the bear's sensitive nose, which would be greatly effected by the tear-gas like substance when expelled by Triceraton.  It would be imperative that Triceraton avoids getting grabbed & pinned (even though Triceraton can escape from this position) because this allows the bear to mount a quick offense (bites & claw swipes) that would be difficult to defend.  There are no guarantees here, but Triceraton should be intelligent & innovative enough to defeat the larger Arctodus on most occasions.  Triceraton wins.

Triceraton vs alligator snapping turtle (at parity): Alligator snapping turtles are very difficult adversaries for anything trying to attack them due to its powerful snapping jaws & armored shell.  However, it has one glaring weakness: lack of mobility.  An animal making quick attacks to the reptile's head (as long as it avoids the jaws) or limbs can have success over the course of a prolonged attack.  Triceraton's rolling attack wouldn't be advised because the turtle has such a low center of gravity, and the poison attacks/noxious gas might not have the same immediate effects as it would with a mammal.  However, the strong bite force of Triceraton sharp-edged beak would be able to shear right through the skull of the alligator snapping turtle.  The bipedal Triceraton would easily be able to avoid the jaws of the turtle & mount an effective offense of its own (and this would be key).  As long as caution is taken, Triceraton has the means to end this one quickly.  Triceraton wins.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.