Interspecies Conflict/None

Hello again BK, hope you're well. Below are the questions....

I have a bit of a confusion here, you said the Pitbull can defeat a Gull terr. But I must say that there are two types of Gullterr. One is with erect ears and is the size of between Boxer and Pitbull. The other type is the drop eared type, locally called the 'Lappa' But both types are bigger than the Pitbull. Lappa Gull terr can be the size of German Shepherds and Rottweilers. I've seen this type and when I saw it, the first thing I thought was, 'Damn! That dog's invincible!' I mean this type is very impressive looking and is possibly, pound for pound stronger than the smaller erect eared type. So my first questions are about this type,

1. Lappa Gullterr vs Pitbull

2. Lappa Gull terr vs Dogo Argentino

3. African hunting dog vs Coyote

4. Cave bear vs Amphicyon

5. Lion vs sloth bear

6. Cougar vs Sloth bear (ignore it if I'm repeating this one)

7. Helloid vs Smilodon
That's enough for today, thanks alot

Hello Jem.  Doing OK here, hope everything's good with you.

Gull terrs are medium-sized dogs that are mainly from Pakistan.  There are apparently at least 3 types of Gull terrs, but none of them typically exceed 45kg.  Pure Gull terrs have the long, erect ears & somewhat slender builds, and other types are stockier (and drop-eared) and resemble pitbulls (and may have bulldog in them).  The Bull terrier is the main "ingredient" of the long-eared Gull terrs (and other Gull terrs).  All Gull terrs are skilled & relentless in combat, and have plenty of energy.  I'm not familiar with the exact breakdown of every type of Gull terr & their characteristics, but I do rate them rather highly in general.

1. Lappa Gull terr vs Pitbull: The American pit bull terrier weighs about 30kg, and is pound-for-pound as good as it gets when it comes to canine combat.  Any dog taking one on will need a weight advantage to prevail on a large majority of occasions.  I believe there is only one dog out there that compete with an American pit bull terrier without exceeding 45kg, and that is the Japanese Tosa.  A Gull terr is definitely one of the top dogs pound-for-pound, but it's not quite on the same level as a pitbull without having a weight advantage greater than 50%.  Rottweilers can exceed 55kg in weight, and if a Lappa Gull terr reached this weight, I would favor it over a 30kg pitbull.  At 45kg, I don't think a Gull terr will have what it takes to win most of the time.  Pitbull wins.

2. Lappa Gull terr vs Dogo Argentino: These dogs will weigh about the same.  Gull terrs are bred from Bull terriers, which means they have an infusion of the egg-shaped head, powerful jaws, and tenacity.  Gull terrs are also known for their agility & quickness.  Dogo Argentinos were originally developed as a big game hunter, and among its "ingredients" are various mastiffs, Bulldogs, & Bull terriers.  Dogos are muscular, powerful, and have a broad head with strong jaws.  They are often used for hunting wild boar, and will grab the boar from the side (usually on the neck area) to hold it for the hunter.  Dogos are formidable dogs, but any Gull terr is going to exceed it in skill & ferocity.  Lappa Gull terr wins.

3. African hunting dog vs Coyote: An African hunting dog is the second largest wild member of the canid family (after the wolf), and can be about 30% heavier than a large coyote.  African hunting dogs hunt large prey in a pack, and have developed very strong jaws muscles to effectively hang onto struggling prey.  They deal with a variety of competition on the African plains (including lions, leopards, hyenas, & baboons) and are accustomed to combat.  Coyotes have more slender snouts and less robust head & neck areas.  An African hunting dog is a bit out of the coyote's league.  African hunting dog wins.

4. Cave bear vs Amphicyon: Cave bears were about the size of today's grizzlies.  Some Amphicyons were as large as a big dog, while others (like Amphicyon ingens) could exceed half a ton (putting it above the weight range of the cave bear).  This would be a close fight, as the cave bear probably had a strength advantage (and thicker fur) and the Amphicyon likely had more agility & a more dangerous bite.  At equal weights it would probably be a toss-up, but with Amphicyon ingens getting a bit heavier (about 30%), it would have the edge on most occasions.  Amphicyon wins.

5. Lion vs Sloth bear: The lion will weigh about 30% more than the sloth bear.  Lions are fantastic combatants, and males battle each other often for territory & females.  Lions don't encounter bears, but they are too large & powerful for a sloth bear to deal with.  At a greater size, the lion would likely have a strength & speed advantage in a swipe war, and would have the agility to get into a good position to deliver a throat bite on the ursid.  Sloth bears can fight fiercely with their sharp claws, but a lion (and even a lioness) will bring too much too the table.  Lion wins.

6. Cougar vs Sloth bear: The cougar will weigh about 55% of the sloth bear's weight.  Sloth bears can be aggressive, and have long (3") foreclaws that can cause serious injury to an attacker.  Cougars have agility, jaws & claws, & excellent predation ability.  Cougars have been known to drive away larger bears in their habitats, but driving away & fighting are 2 different things.  Sloth bear wins.

7. Helloid vs Smilodon: The Helloid (created by Tejas) is a tenacious, 250kg mustelid with 4-inch claws, 4-inch canines, & a 1,500lb bite force.  It is experienced in combat, and has thick fur enhanced with sharp bristles for added protection.  Smilodon populator was a robust, muscular felid with sharp claws & long upper canines that could be driven into soft tissue of opponents.  Smilodons were adept at using their forepaws to grip & control adversaries to get into a good position in which to utilize their long sabers.  Smilodon populator would have outweighed Helloid by about 60%, and this would have been enough of a weight advantage to overcome it most of the time (but would not have been easy).  Smilodon fatalis weighed about the same as Helloid (or about 10% heavier), and would have had trouble trying to control the mustelid while avoiding its offense.  This would have been a close fight, close to 50/50.  Smilodon gracilis was less than half of Helloid's weight, and would not have had the ammunition to overpower the mustelid in most confrontations.  Smilodon populator wins, Smilodon fatalis forces a draw, and Helloid defeats Smilodon gracilis.  

Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.