Interspecies Conflict/Megaladon

What is the biggest all around animal of all time? Would it be a Megaladon? If so, do you think they still exist? I heard some scientist still believe that a few still are around. If they still existed, would it still be considered the largest at this time? Wouldn't be considered as a quantamery consumer? In the prehistoric times, what would be its predator?

Hello Hunter.

Q: What is the biggest all-around animal of all time?
A: The largest animal of all time is the blue whale.  This huge mammal reached almost 100ft in length, and weighed over 175 tons (almost as much as 30 elephants).  The largest land animals ever were the sauropod dinosaurs, including Argentinosaurus, which reached 131ft in length (longer than 3 school buses) and weighed between 75 & 100 tons.  Other sauropods, like Bruhathkayosaurus & Amphicoelias fragillimus, are also considered by many to be the largest dinosaurs ever, but their sizes are unsubstantiated.  However, it's possible these prehistoric giants may have approached the size of the blue whale.

Q: Would it be a Megaladon?
A: Megalodon was a the largest shark known to exist, but it wasn't the biggest animal ever.  It may have been the largest predator ever, but its size is subject to debate.  Most estimates put its length at close to 50ft (2.5 times longer than a great white shark), and its weight as close to 50 tons (20 times heavier than a great white shark).  Some top-end estimates assign a length of over 65ft and a weight of over 100 tons, but these numbers haven't been proven.

Q: Do you think Megalodon still exists?
A: No.  No one has a definite answer to why Megalodon died out.  If by some chance it did exist today, its chances of being detected by humans would be very high.  It's not reasonable for an active predator weighing more than 8 or 9 elephants to remain hidden from us considering the frequency at which humans explore the seas and considering this beast likely came close to the surface from time-to-time (as many current sharks do).

Q: If Megalodon still existed, would it be considered the largest at this time?
A: Megalodon would be the largest predator in the world if it existed today, but some of today's whales are larger.  The blue whale was certainly larger, and the fin whale, the right whale, the bowhead whale, & the sperm whale were probably much larger as well.

Q: Would Megalodon be considered a quarternary consumer?
A: Megalodon feasted upon every other animal in its ecosystem, and as such would likely qualify as a quarternary consumer.  Many of the prey items of Megalodon were likely tertiary consumers.

Q: In prehistoric times, what would be Megalodon's predator?
A: An adult Megalodon did not have to worry about being predated upon by any other species.  However, there was another large predator that shared the same waters as Megalodon called Livyatan melvillei that would have been a worthy opponent on occasion.  Livyatan melvillei was a huge toothed whale (with teeth on the upper & lower jaws) that exceeded the length of Megalodon (and weighed almost as much).  A sub-adult Megalodon may have fallen victim to an adult Livyatan melvillei, but an adult Megalodon had a superior bite (huge gape & razor-sharp teeth) and would have defeated the whale in battle.

Have a nice day.
Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.