Interspecies Conflict/None

Question
Hello again BK, I again have some fascinating faceoffs in my mind.

1. African hunting dog vs Olive baboon

2. Striped hyena vs Gray wolf

3. African Lion vs American Black bear

4. Red fox vs African golden cat

5. Goliath Tigerfish vs Smooth fronted cayman

6. Bull shark vs Bottlenose dolphin

7. Sivas Kangal vs Sage Koochie

8. Black rhinoceros vs Guar

9. American bison vs African buffalo

10. Main event: Marsupial lion vs Epicyon

Answer
Hello Jem.

1. African hunting dog vs Olive baboon: The olive baboon will be slightly heavier than the African hunting dog.  The olive baboon is a solidly-built primate with good mobility & leaping ability.  It is armed with upper canines almost 2" long, and can cause serious injuries with its bite in a short amount of time.  The African hunting dog is a nimble canid with strong jaws, but it is a more effective combatant as part of a team than solo.  African hunting dogs sometimes cross paths with baboons, and typically give them a wide berth.  An olive baboon will have the mobility to land the more effective bites in a fight with a single African hunting dog, and will be favored.  Olive baboon wins.

2. Striped hyena vs Gray wolf: A gray wolf will typically weigh about 30% more than the striped hyena.  Striped hyenas are bold & aggressive, and can usually drive a wolf away in an actual encounter.  However, if a gray wolf was determined to fight, it would have a decent chance.  Wolves are nimble, and have strong bites, but they are better suited for confrontation when joined with other members of the pack.  Striped hyenas have strong bites as well (and it may be just as strong as the wolf's despite its smaller size).  The striped hyena would probably need to be at least 85% of the wolf's weight to give it an even contest, and it's not quite there in this scenario.  Close fight, but edge to the gray wolf.

3. African Lion vs American Black bear:  The black bear will weigh about 10% more than the lion.  Black bears aren't as formidable (pound-for-pound) as the more robust, aggressive brown bear, but they are still strong animals with great endurance.  African lions are the fighters of the big cat world (against other male lions), but they do not cross paths with any bear in nature.  However, the lion's superior agility, quickness, & finishing experience (against large animals) will serve it well against the black bear (which is omnivorous & doesn't usually tangle with large animals).  The sturdy, durable bear will certainly have a chance, and this will be a close fight, but the lion brings too much to the table.  African lion wins.

4. Red fox vs African golden cat: The African golden cat will weigh over 40% more than the fox.  The African golden cat will have advantages in agility, speed, & weaponry (claws).  The red fox is nimble, but is only brings its bite & endurance into the battle.  With the edge in assets & a weight advantage, the felid will be too much for the canid.  African golden cat wins.

5. Goliath Tigerfish vs Smooth-fronted caiman:  The Goliath tigerfish will weigh about 25& more than the caiman.  Tigerfish are capable carnivores, dispatching victims with jaws armed with vicious-looking teeth (long, sharp, spaced apart).  The smooth-fronted caiman is covered (top & bottom) with osteoderms (bony plates), and has a strong set of jaws used to clamp onto prey items.  The teeth of the Goliath tigerfish would likely penetrate the hide of the caiman in some areas (particularly the head), and would probably cause more damage in the fight than the jaws of the reptile.  If the caiman's teeth didn't punch through the tigerfish's scales, the larger fish would probably be able to pull away and counter-attack.  The tigerfish will be more agile in the water, and that will dictate the positioning to a large degree.  Equal weights would make it closer.  Goliath tigerfish wins.

6. Bull shark vs Bottlenose dolphin: The dolphin will weigh about 50% more than the bull shark.  Dolphins are more agile in the water, and would be able to avoid the shark's bite on most occasions while delivering headbutts to the body of the shark.  The shark can cause a lot of damage with one bite (and this would happen some of the time considering the quick turns of the shark), but the numerous headbutts the dolphin will employ can stun the fish (especially a strike on the nose or in the gills).  At closer weights the shark's deadly bite would give it more of a chance, but the dolphin is a bit too large here.  Bottlenose dolphin wins.  

7. Sivas Kangal vs Sage Koochie: These dogs are close in weight.  The Kangal is a heavy, powerful dog with a large head and a blunt muzzle.  This courageous dog was once used as a flock guardian, and has a strong bite force.  The Sage koochie is muscular & agile, has a similar build as the Kangal, and was also used to defend livestock (often against wolves, bears, cougars, etc.).  Close fight between 2 very capable dogs; slight edge to the Sage koochie.  

8. Black rhinoceros vs Guar: These animals will weigh about the same if the maximum weight for the bovid is considered, but most of the time the black rhinoceros will weigh about 1/3rd more.  The rhino is built like a tank, and has a lower center of gravity.  It will be able to use its long frontal horn to impale the gaur with powerful thrusts, and can use its strength to topple the bovid.  Gaurs are muscular & formidable in their own right, but they are outmatched by the more solidly built rhinoceros.  Gaurs have thick, sharp horns used to gore opponents with, but these will be far less effective than the offense the rhino will provide.  Black rhinoceros wins.

9. American bison vs African buffalo: The bison will weigh considerably more (35-45%) than the Cape buffalo.  Bisons have huge shoulder & neck areas, and fight by using their head as a battering ram or hooking with their short, curved horns.  Cape buffaloes are aggressive & unpredictable, and they use their sharp horns to gore as well.  However, the Cape buffalo is giving up too much weight here.  Even at parity I would give the bison the edge due to the massive frontal region of its body & slightly more diversified offense.  American bison wins.

10. Main event: Marsupial lion vs Epicyon: The Epicyon haydeni, which is slightly heavier than the marsupial lion, is the only species of Epicyon that would have a chance against the marsupial lion (the others would be too small).  The marsupial lion was powerfully built & agile, and had extremely strong jaws that enabled it to tackle animals much larger than itself.  Epicyon haydeni was stocky, and had a decent amount of mobility as well, and had bone-crushing capabilities with its jaws as well.  However, the marsupial lion was a bit more robust, had stronger jaws, and was more accustomed to overcoming large animals by itself.  Edge to marsupial lion.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

BK