Interspecies Conflict/None

Question
Hello again BK!

1. Please honeslt tell, which questionnaire asks you the most interesting questions? Please say the truth because I'm just heavily curios.

2.   Snow Leopard vs Striped Hyena
2.   Kodiac Brown bear vs Polar Bear
3.   Grizzly bear vs Nile croc
4.   Kodiac brown bear vs Hippo
5.   Great white shark vs False killer whale
6.   Megalodon vs Sperm whale
7.   Indian mongoose vs Eastern quoll
8.   Brown hyena vs snow leopard
9.   African golden cat vs Caracal
10.   Caracal vs Guinea baboon
11.   American black bear vs Silverback gorilla
12.   Olive baboon vs Caracal
13.   Asiatic black bear vs African Lion
14.   Asil gamefowl vs Shamo gamefowl
15.   Main event: Olive baboon vs  Striped Hyena

Thanks alot!

Answer
Hello Jem.

1. Which questionnaire asks you the most interesting questions?: Hard to say.  I get so many great, interesting questions (ranging from large animals to small, modern & prehistoric, real & fantasy, land & sea, etc.), from a variety of questioners and I don't think I could pick just one.  I find something interesting in every question I'm asked.

2. Snow Leopard vs Striped Hyena: The snow leopard will be around 30-40% heavier than the striped hyena.  Snow leopards are great hunters, and can tackle animals much larger than themselves.  Striped hyenas have very strong bites & can be quite aggressive, but it will have trouble dealing with the agility, quickness, claws, & finishing ability of the snow leopard.  The feisty hyena might succeed in driving the larger cat away in a realistic confrontation, but a fight to the finish between 2 determined individuals will favor the snow leopard.  Snow leopard wins.

2. Kodiak brown bear vs Polar Bear: These bears will weigh about the same.  The polar bear is sleeker (built for swimming), but probably is stronger pound-for-pound.  The Kodiak bear has a stockier build, and probably is stronger than the polar bear in the shoulder/neck region (and can generate stronger paw swipes).  The polar bear might have the edge in positioning if the 2 began wrestling around, but the paw swipe war would likely favor the Kodiak bear (which has long claws).  Brown bears are typically more confrontational & aggressive than polar bears, and a realistic encounter would probably end up with the Kodiak bear driving the polar bear away.  In an actual fight to the end, I would slightly favor the more robust Kodiak bear.

3. Grizzly bear vs Nile crocodile: The crocodile can weigh close to double the bear's weight.  Grizzly bears are very strong, have great endurance, & can be aggressive.  The crocodile is protected by its osteoderm-covered skin, and has large jaws with a tremendous bite force.  On land, crocodiles have limited mobility & endurance, and will have a small window of time in which to overcome the bear.  In order to do this, the crocodile must clamp its jaws onto an area of the bear's body that will enable it to disable the bear (head or limb), and simultaneously avoid the bear's counter-attack of clawing & biting.  Some of the bites on the bear's body might not be enough to keep it from fighting back effectively, and the struggle will quickly tire the crocodile.  The crocodile's head & sides will be vulnerable to the raking claws of the grizzly bear, and the paw swipes can stun the reptile if the head is targeted.  In shallow water, the crocodile will have greater mobility (and better endurance), and will be able to clamp onto the bear & perform a "death roll" with a lot of torque.  On land the battle is a close one because of the crocodile's weight advantage, and the reptile should have a slight edge at these weights (the croc would lose at parity on land).  In water, the crocodile will be too much for the grizzly to handle.    

4. Kodiak brown bear vs Hippopotamus: The hippo can weigh over 3 times as much as the bear.  Kodiak bears are powerful fighters, but don't have the size to take on a hippopotamus.  Hippos have jaws that can open almost 4ft wide, and are armed with sharp lower canines that can cause massive damage to a bear.  The bear can injure the hippo with paw swipes, but it would take a lot of them to have great effect.  The bear doesn't have the lateral quickness to avoid getting bit by the hippo's jaws (which would be key), and doesn't have the leaping ability (like a big cat) to jump on top of the hippo.  Brown bears can usually handle most animals close to their weight range, but the larger hippo will be too formidable for it.  Hippopotamus wins.

5. Great white shark vs False killer whale: The false killer whale will weigh about 60% of the great white shark's weight.  The false killer whale probably has greater mobility, but at close quarters it won't be quick enough to avoid every bite attempt from the shark.  The shark's razor-sharp teeth will cause more damage to the false killer whale than the mammal's jaws (conical teeth on upper & lower jaws) will cause to it.  While I would favor the false killer whale at parity, the shark will likely prevail at these weights.  Great white shark wins.

6. Megalodon vs Sperm whale: The sperm whale will be about 20% heavier than the Megalodon (if conservative estimates are used).  Sperm whales are the kings of the ocean in modern times, but the Megalodon was much more formidable than anything found in today's aquatic habitats.  Sperm whales are carnivores, and have banana-sized teeth in their lower jaws used primarily to capture large squid.  These whales can also ram with their heads and strike with their tails.  Megalodon was 2.5 times as long as today's great white shark, and weighed around 20 times as much.  Its huge jaws were lined with razor-sharp teeth used to remove large chunks of flesh quite easily.  The Megalodon's offense would trump the sperm whale's offense, and would defeat the mammal on most occasions.  Megalodon wins.

7. Indian mongoose vs Eastern quoll: The quoll will be slightly heavier than the mongoose.  Both animals are quick & agile, but the quoll is known for having an above-average bite force.  Edge to the Eastern quoll.

8. Brown hyena vs Snow leopard: The snow leopard will have a small weight advantage over the brown hyena.  The brown hyena is slightly larger than the striped hyena (the snow leopard's opponent in matchup #2), but the outcome of the battle will be the same.  The snow leopard's use of paws & claws is a great asset in this fight, and it should prevail a majority of the time.  A spotted hyena would be better competition for this feline.  Snow leopard wins.

9. African golden cat vs Caracal: These cats have similar builds (and attributes), but the caracal is usually larger (by about 20%).  A parity fight would be close, but at these weights the caracal wins.  

10. Caracal vs Guinea baboon: The guinea baboon can get slightly heavier than the caracal.  Baboons have dangerous upper canines they use to bite enemies with.  These can cause grievous injuries in a short amount of time.  The caracal has a strong build, and its claws are its main tools in a fight (it will bite as well).  The caracal has the advantage of being a predator capable of killing prey larger than itself, as well as quickness & agility.  The baboon is almost as quick & agile, but it is chiefly an omnivore.  The caracal will need to cause enough damage with its claws to the baboon before it receives too many significant bites.  I would probably favor the caracal at equal weights, but even that would be a toss-up.  Reasonably close fight; edge to guinea baboon.

11. American black bear vs Silverback gorilla: The gorilla simply doesn't have the weaponry to compete with the black bear.  The bear will be typically heavier, but its claws are its trump card.  It has the ability to seriously injure the gorilla before the gorilla can mount much of an offense itself.  The gorilla has a dangerous bite and long, powerful arms, but it won't be able to significantly injure the durable bear before the bear's claws & jaws take their toll.  The gorilla would need a large weight advantage to be an adequate matchup for the black bear, and it just doesn't have it.  American black bear wins.

12. Olive baboon vs Caracal: The olive baboon will be over 50% heavier than the caracal.  The olive baboon is one of the more robust species of baboon, and will be a very dangerous matchup for the caracal.  Even though the caracal has claws and the baboon doesn't, the baboon's bite is more formidable.  The caracal is quick & agile, but the mobility (and grabbing hands) of the baboon will help neutralize this advantage to some degree.  The chances of the caracal inflicting significant injuries to the baboon with its claws & teeth before it is seriously injured itself aren't good against this primate.  Olive baboon wins.

13. Asiatic black bear vs African Lion: The black bear will weigh about 80% of the lion's weight.  Asiatic black bears eat fruit, nuts, leaves, insects, etc., and are not as robustly built as brown bears.  The Asiatic black bear will typically fight by standing on its hind legs and swiping with its paws. African lions are skilled combatants against other lions & at times large prey items.  These cats don't encounter bears, but their quickness, agility, & finishing know-how will be a big advantage here.  The black bear will have an endurance advantage, but the lion will likely be able to overcome the bear before it tires.  African lion wins.

14. Asil gamefowl vs Shamo gamefowl: Not sure about this one, but from what I can tell, the Shamo might be a little taller (and more slender) at parity than an Asil.  This might mean greater reach with its kicks, but it might also mean less power.  Without knowing more about domestic fowl, I'll call it a 50/50.

15. Main event: Olive baboon vs Striped Hyena:  The baboon will weigh about 90% of the hyena's weight.  The olive baboon is one of the more robust species of baboon, and is a tough opponent for any animal in its weight class.  Striped hyenas have bone-crushing bites, but baboons have long upper canines (2") that can be used to inflict grievous injuries to an opponent in a short amount of time.  The striped hyena will try to land some good bites with it jaws, and the baboon will use its mobility & hand usage to aid it in biting the hyena with its sharp teeth (and keeping the hyena from biting exactly where it wants to).  With most of the bites the hyena will manage to land, the baboon will likely be able to inflict a counter-bite almost immediately.  This battle could go either way, but the baboon's offense will likely induce blood loss at a faster rate.  Slight edge to the olive baboon.

Great questions as always!
Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

BK