Interspecies Conflict/None

Question
Hey BK,
Check this out, the most hilarious answer ever!

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Interspecies-Conflict-3754/2012/8/humans-vs-big-cats.
1. What do you think about this?

2. Anyways, I had some good matchups, first of all being, Ratel vs Guinea baboon

3. Sloth bear vs Bengal tiger

4. Chimpanzee vs Saimang

Thanks

Answer
Hello Jem.

1. With a category as diverse as Interspecies Conflict, opinions will inevitably vary from time to time.  Each expert has a perspective created by education & experience, and some points of view can be unique.  With this particular question my answer would differ somewhat.

2. Ratel vs Guinea baboon: The Guinea baboon will weigh about 1/3rd more than the ratel (honey badger).  Ratels are fearless & aggressive, and have strong bites & sharp claws (used mainly for digging).  The hide of the ratel is thick & tough, and protects it from many attacks.  The guinea baboon has good mobility, and has sharp upper canines that are used to bite adversaries with.  The ratel has the advantages of tougher hide (can injure the baboon more readily than the baboon can injure it), teeth & claws as weapons (the baboon only has teeth), and is probably more accustomed to one-on-one conflicts (encounters jackals, leopards, & other African predators) than the baboon (usually seeks safety in numbers).  A guinea baboon with a greater weight advantage might be favored, but at the given weight ratio, the ratel will have enough assets to prevail.  Ratel wins.

3. Sloth bear vs Bengal tiger: The Bengal tiger will weigh about 30% more than the sloth bear.  The sloth bear will have an advantage in endurance, but the tiger will have the agility & quickness to force itself into a favorable position rather quickly.  The swipes of the sloth bear (with sharp claws) can be effective against the tiger in a "swipe war" between the 2, but the tiger will likely attempt to clinch the bear with its forelimbs & try to maneuver in place to finish it with a throat bite.  Sloth bears aren't as formidable as brown bears pound-for-pound, and would likely lose to a tiger at parity (brown bears & tigers are close at equal weights).  Bengal tiger wins.  

4. Chimpanzee vs Saimang: The common chimpanzee weighs about 4 times as much as the siamang (the largest type of gibbon), and the bonobo chimpanzee weighs well over twice as much.  Both types of chimpanzees will be too large & strong for the siamang to deal with.  Chimpanzee wins.

Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

BK