Interspecies Conflict/average animal fights and ranking,speed

hello BK,
(a)I usually assume average weights of can you give me average weight of these animals?
2.african and asian elephant
4.clouded leopard
5.snow leopard
6.american black bear
7.female grizzly bear
(b)I like rankings of animals so can you give me pound for pound most strongest animals in the world(top 10).
(c)Can you estimate speeds of these animals and rank them from fastest to slowest? fox
3.doberman backed jackal
9.grizzly bear
10.cape buffalo
11.spanish fighting bull
12.american lion(extinct)
13.clouded leopard
18.snow leopard
21.grey wolf
(d)Can you give me average height and maximum height of these animals?
1.eurasian lynx
2.bop cat
4.asian golden cat
6.honey badger
7.leopard or cougar
9.sumatran tiger
10.asiatic lioness
(e)Lets say that somehow we are able to make a hypotepical ecosystem in which there is a savannah in one side in the other side is dense forest.In the savannah is a very large lake and the only lake in this ecosystem.We are now going to put these animals in this ecosystem.
carnivores - grizzly bear,cougar,leopard,jaguar,dhole,african wild dog,nile crocodile,dingo,eurasian lynx,clouded leopard,cheetah
herbivores - cape buffalo,spotted deer,white tailed deer,impala,thomspon gazelle,wildebeest,kudu,grants gazelle,mouse,rabbit
From these carnivores who will top the food chain?Also give possible interaction result between them and who will likely survive here?
(f)Fights.all are determined to ambush.
1.average female grizzly bear vs average male black bear
2.14 kg caracal vs 25 kg awd
3.60 kg leopard vs 90 kg warthog
4.av. grants gazelle vs av.spotted deer vs av.awd  
can you give your best on average grizzly bear vs average siberian tiger
Lasly what is your favourite animal?my fav animal is cougar.ha ha ha!THANK YOU!

Hello Mukul.

A: There are various estimations for the weights of animals, and most sources use a range instead of the average.  I will post the range of each animal, and give an estimation of the animal's average weight based in part on those figures.  I will use "Smithsonian Animal: A Definitive Visual Guide" (mammal section by Dr. Juliet Clutton-Brock & Dr. Don E. Wilson) and 2 publications from the National Audubon Society ("Field Guide to Mammals" by John O. Whitaker Jr & "Field Guide to African Wildlife" by Peter C. Alden, Richard D. Estes, Duane Schlitter, & Bunny McBride) as my primary sources.  Conversions to the metric system will be rounded to the nearest whole number.

Jaguar 36-160kgs avg 91kg
African elephant 3969-7031kgs avg 5443kgs
Asian elephant 2041-4990kgs avg 3856kgs
Wolverine 8-19kgs avg 14kgs
Clouded leopard 16-23kgs avg 19kgs
Snow Leopard 25-75kgs avg 55kgs
American black bear 55-300kgs 193kgs
Female grizzly bear 130-200kgs avg 166kgs

B: Animal Planet had a documentary television series called "The Most Extreme" from 2002-2007.  One of the episodes ranked the top ten strongest animals.  This is their list:
1.  rhinoceros beetle
2.  elephant
3.  ant
4.  tiger
5.  ox
6.  eagle
7.  anaconda
8.  gorilla
9.  mussel (part of the clam family)
10. grizzly bear

I don't consider this list to be entirely accurate.  It seems to mix pound-for-pound strength with absolute strength.  Lions and tigers are of similar strength, yet the lion isn't on this list while the tiger is at #4.  Here is my estimation of a top ten list of pound-for-pound strength among animals (excluding sea animals):
1.  rhinoceros beetle
2.  ant
3.  elephant
4.  rhinoceros
5.  brown bear/polar bear
6.  ox (to include buffalo & similar bovids)
7.  jaguar
8.  leopard
9.  lion/tiger
10. black bear
Gorillas, draft horses, anacondas, eagles, orangutans, chimpanzees, wolverines, certain domestic dogs(american pit bull terrier for one), zebras & others merit consideration for this list.  I would consider them to be interchangeable with 7-10.  It's difficult to accurately measure pound-for-pound in animals because they use their strength in many different ways. Examples include tigers dragging a gaur carcass, lions tackling a buffalo and bringing it down, elephants pushing down a tree, a bear flipping a heavy rock with its paw, a polar bear using its paws to smash a hole in the ice, etc.  If weightlifter A can bench press more than weightlifter B, but weightlifter B can deadlift more than weightlifter A, how do you determine who's stronger?  It's not an exact science.  A lot of it (including my list) is guessswork.

C: These speeds are approximations; sources vary on top animals speeds (some say cheetahs can run 97kph; some say 113kph for example).
lioness/American lion = 80kph
cougar/snow leopard = 72kph
red fox = 68kph
grey wolf = 64kph
ocelot = 61kph
cape buffalo/spanish bull/clouded leopard/doberman/jackal/grizzly = 56kph
giraffe = 51kph
dhole/dingo/jaguar/boxer/baboon/warthog = 48kph
german shepherd = 43kph

D: Approximate shoulder height (average and max)
eurasian lynx 24" 28"
bobcat 18" 24"
caracal 18" 20"
asian golden cat 19" 22"
wolverine 15" 18"
honey badger 10" 12"
leopard 26" 32"
cougar 30" 35"
jaguar 27" 30"
sumatran tiger 30" 34"
asiatic lioness 32" 37"

E: The temperature of this ecosystem will be one determining factor in what will and won't survive.  The majority of the animals listed (especially the African ones) can live in hot weather with no problem, but the grizzly bear and the eurasian lynx will have issues with the heat.  If the temperature was made to suit them, the other animals might have issues with the it being cooler (namely the nile crocodile).  Let's assume the temperature is adequate for the majority of these animals.  Over time these animals may adapt to match what the others are used to, but to throw them all in at once would be problematic.  We'll take each animal and describe how intergrating into this ecosystem would be done:

Grizzly bear: Will be the dominant carnivore.  Will hang out in the forest to stay cool, but will venture to the lake to drink and perhaps to the savannah to take over another animal's kill.  The only threat for adult bears will be the large Nile crocodiles in the lake when they come to drink or an angry Cape buffalo.  The only animals that won't frequent the menu of the bear would be the crocodile, the Cape buffalo, and the speedsters on the savannah (gazelle, cheetah, etc) unless an ambush occurs.

Cougar: This master of stealth will need it.  The cougar will remain in the woods almost exclusively, and ambush the herbivores that venture in.  Visits to the lake will be an adventure.  African wild dogs, dingos, and dholes may harrass them, and the crocodile is a hazard.  Leopards may fight them if they cross paths.  Its menu would include every herbivore except the adult Cape buffalo, and it probably wouldn't venture too far from the woods to capture prey.  It has the ability to kill many of the predators it competes with, but it will avoid the larger ones.

Leopard: The few trees scattered in the savannah will be this cat's main hangout.  It will certainly go into the forest to hunt and frequent the lake.  It will need to avoid the bear, the jaguar, and the crocodile.  Its menu will mirror the cougar's for the most part.

Jaguar: After the grizzly bear, the most dominant single predator in this ecosystem.  It will avoid the bear, and readily attack any of the other cats that approach what they have established as their territory.  Will not venture too far from the forest, but will need to be close to the water.  These cats love water, and the presence of the Nile crocodile will be a problem.  With only one lake in this habitat, any animal that loves the water will come in contact with a hungry crocodile.  It will ambush the deer and the antelope in the forest or by the lake's edge.  The jaguar will try to avoid being in the open as much as possible.  If the lake in this senario borders the forest, it will be better for this cat.  A long trek in the open to reach the lake will be poor situation for the jaguar deal with.

Dhole: These animals hunt in large groups, and they are capable of bringing down large prey.  They will be a nuisance for most of the large predators, and a real threat to any of the herbivores.  They will likely go anywhere in this ecosystem to hunt.

African wild dog: These dogs are similar in function to the dhole (but they are larger).  Large groups and teamwork.  Will remain on the savannah and by the lake.  Will be the dominant predator group in this ecosystem.  Will have skirmishes with the dholes and the dingos at most kills.

Nile crocodile: Will remain in or by the lake.  A real threat to any animal drinking from the lake (although the grizzly bear and the cape buffalo would be challenges).  Will only be threatened if they venture far away from the water's edge, but the adults of this species would not have too much to worry about in water or on land.  A large jaguar would probably readily attack a medium-sized crocodile if their paths crossed.  With the other animals needing to come to this one lake to satify their thirst, the crocodile's belly will be full.

Dingo: Will hunt in groups and pose a threat to the inhabitants on the savannah.  Similar to the dhole and the African wild dog in prey targets, but will probably avoid the buffalo with easier prey available.  Will hunt at night.

Eurasian lynx: Will stick to the forest most of the time.  Will be elusive, avoid other predators if it can, and ambush the small-to medium size herbivores that come its way.  Rabbits and mice will be consumed a lot as well.  Will likely wait until nightfall to visit the lake.  Chief threats include the larger cats, dholes, and the bear.

Clouded leopard: Will remain in the forest up in the trees most of the time.  Will target what the lynx targets.  Main threat will be the leopard (who will readily climb).

Cheetah: Will hang out on the savannah and near the lake.  Will try to remain out of sight in tall grass if possible.  Will target the deer and antelope primarily, but young wildebeest, rabbits, and mice will be consumed.  The same threats cheetahs face in Africa will be present except hyenas and lions, but the dholes and dingos will be major troublemakers.  Any young animal of any species in this senario will be peril having to deal with 3 large dog groups (especially when the parent leaves to hunt or visit the lake).  Thsi cat will avoid confrontation unless its life or its family's life is in jeopardy.  It will yield its kills to most of the other predators.  Its speed will come in handy.

Cape buffalo: Will gather in groups on the savannah, the lake, and occasionally to the forest's edge.  Its main threats will be the 3 dog groups and the leopard (for sub-adults).  The grizzly bear predates on young bison and moose, and is capable of killing the buffalo, but the large adults would be able to drive the grizzly away most of the time.  Drinking from the lake opens up the risk of being grabbed and pulled in by the larger Nile crocodiles.  The buffalo will be the most difficult prey item to conquer due to large group size and the large size of the individual animal.

Spotted deer/White-tailed deer: Will stick to the forest with trips to the lake to drink.  Potentail prey for every predator here.

Impala/Thompson's gazelle/Grant's gazelle: Will stick to the savannah and near the lake (but may vist the forset's edge).  Potential prey for any predator that frequents the savannah or the waterhole, but the speed of these animals makes capture difficult.

Wildebeest: Savannah and lake's edge.  Large and fast, this is not an easy prey item.  Potential prey item for crocodiles, the 3 dog groups, the cheetah (mainly sub-adult wildebeests), and the leopard.  If the opportunity arises and close contact is made, the wildebeest will fall prey to the grizzly bear, the jaguar, and the cougar.

Kudu: Like the forest, but will occasionally venture out into the savannah.  Potential prey for all predators; smaller cats may have to settle for sub-adults.

Rabbit/Mouse: These will be everywhere, and will be fair game to anything that can catch them.  The lynx, clouded leopard, and the 3 dog groups will eat a lot of rabbits and mice.

F: Fights with no ambush:

female grizzly bear vs male black bear: Very close fight.  The female grizzly will be about 166kgs, and the male black bear will be about 193kgs.  The grizzly will weigh about 86% the weight of the black bear, but she is more robustly build.  The grizzly has longer claws, bigger paws, and a large shoulder hump of muscle.  The male black bear has the advantage of being male (more testosterone) and a 27kg weight advantage, but brown bears have stronger builds than black bears.  Almost 50/50; slight edge to the female grizzly.

caracal vs african wild dog: At the given weighs, the caracal only weighs 56% of the dog's weight.  Even though the caracal has the advantage in agilty, quickness, and sharp claws, the wild dog has the advantage of a big bite and a 11kg weight advantage.  I would favor the caracal against a wild dog somewhat larger than it, but this dog is too big.  African wild dog wins.

leopard vs warthog: Leopards can tackle this kind of prey, but this is a tough task without ambush.  The cat has the advantage of agility, quickness, and claws, but the warthog has long, curved tusks that can cause serious injury.  The leopard can win by using its paws to hold the warthog stationary while it applies a killing bite, but this pig has the size to throw the leopard off.  At equal weights I would favor the leopard quite readily, but this one weighs 2/3rds the weight of the pig.  Close fight, but I favor the warthog.

Grant's gazelle vs Chital (spotted deer): On average, the gazelle edges the spotted deer in weight 73kg to 68kgs (this is approximate and weigh range for each is great).  The gazelle has a slightly more robust body.  The horns of the gazelle are sharp, but they don't seem as well positioned for combat as the antlers of the spotted deer.  The horns are curved back somewhat, but the antlers protrude at a more forward angle.  These two species would likely peacefully coexist, but if they had to rumble (at these weights), I would give the slight edge to the Grant's gazelle.

Impala vs African wild dog: At average weights, the impala would weigh twice as much (approximately 60kgs to 30kgs).  However, the African wild dog is a practiced predator with a strong bite and good mobility.  An impala could use its horns to drive the dog back, but the persistant wild dog will eventually find an opening to latch on to the impala with its jaws, hang on, and ventually bring the antelope down.  The African wild dog won't win every time, but it will win most of the time.

Grizzly bear vs Siberian tiger: The average weigh of these 2 animals varies greatly for different reasons.  The grizzly bears in Alaska, for example, weigh much more than those in the other states(United States). In some areas the bears may average as little as 160kgs (or less) and others may average over 400kgs. For this senario, we'll use a 318kg bear.  The Siberian tiger is not as large as it once was.  A long time ago, these great cats averaged over 250kg and maxed out at well over 300kgs.  Today's Siberian tigers are much smaller.  A big one today might range between 180kgs and 225kgs, but the average is probably even less.  Overall, an average grizzly bear will outweigh the average Siberian tiger.  We will use 225kgs for the weight of the tiger.

The Eurasian brown bear (which interacts with Siberian tigers) is similar to a grizzly bear.  They have reportedly preyed on one another, and have driven each other off of kills.  Tigers, for the most part, are used to dealing with bears.  Grizzly bears don't have any large cats to deal with in North America.  Cougars, which can tip the scales at 100kgs, are no match for a full-grown grizzly bear.  Grizzly bears have humped, muscular shoulders and huge paws.  Their claws can exceed 4", and their swipes are very powerful.  Bears have stellar endurance as well.  Tigers are very established hunters and are experts at killing large prey.  Their sharp claws & teeth, agility, and quickness are formidable assets.  Tigers are experts at getting into position to be able to hold on with sharp claws, deliver a killing bite to the neck or the spine, and avoid getting injured in the process (as with a water buffalo; biting the throat while holding on closely with its claws to keep the bovid from effectively striking with its horns).  This will be difficult against a grizzly bear.  Engaging the bear head-on will be risky and avoiding getting hit with a paw swipe will be crucial.  The tiger's goal will be to use its quickness to latch onto the bear at a point where it can bite effectively and avoid getting bit or hit by the bear.  The bear will likely have the strength advantage, but it won't be as fast.

Bear advantages: size, strength, endurance, big paws & long claws
Tiger advantages: agility, speed, familiarity with bears, killing skill, sharp claws

In this senario the grizzly bear would win.  It's just too big for the tiger.  The tiger can win, but he weighs less than 3/4 of the bear.  The tiger might get the better of the bear at first with its quickness, but as the fight wears on, the bear's endurance will swing the advantage in its favor.  I would favor a tiger slightly at equal weights, but not average vs average.

G: My favorite animal is the Siberian tiger (and all other tigers).  They're closely followed by jaguars, lions, leopards, cougars, cheetahs, and snow leopards.  I love all big cats.  I also love bears, wolverines, lynxes, elephants, rhinoceroses, pigs, wombats, bison, porcupines & many, many others.  Animals are simply amazing and deserve admiration from all.

Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.