Interspecies Conflict/habitat change

Question
hi there bk.hypothetical question here.if you put a polar bear in the amazon, obviously wouldn't survive there because of the climate would it be top predator?and do you think any animal would dare attack it or see it as prey?as there are some formidable predators there.and secondly, silverback gorillas are known for there immense strength,let's say a big constrictor say a 20ft anaconda attacked one do you think it would have the power in it's huge arms and hands to overcome the snake?thanks for your time bk:))

Answer
Helo Chris.

The polar bear is the world's largest land-based carnivore (along with the Kodiak bear) and can weigh in excess of 1500lbs (although today's population consists of smaller bears, seldom exceeding 1000lbs).  It is a very powerful animal.

Q: Would it be the top predator?
A: Without a doubt.  It would be able to successfully predate on the majority of the animals in the Amazon basin.  It would likely target South American tapirs, peccaries, deer, anteaters, fish, and perhaps monkeys & otters (if it could ambush them).  The introduced water buffalo, which could exceed the bear in weight, would be the only problematic prey item.  A polar bear might succeed in taking one down, but doesn't normally tackle mobile prey larger than a musk ox or caribou.

Q: Would any animal attack it or see it as prey?
A: A full-grown bear would be relatively safe from predation.  The jaguar and the puma would avoid it, and the green anaconda isn't large enough to capture it.  A large black caiman (over 800lbs) would be the closest thing to a threat, but a large polar bear would dominate this encounter on land or in shallow water as it is accustomed to operating in the water.  If the caiman was as heavy as some sources (not reliable) assign to it (over a ton), it could succeed in subduing this bear in moderately shallow/deeper water.  Black caimans that size are probably mythological, though.  The only other possible threats to the polar bear would be the electric eel (which could stun it) and the piranha (if they had been in a closed-off water source for some time and had exhausted the lifeforms therein).

Silverback gorilla vs 20ft anaconda: This outcome would depend on several things.  The size of the combatants, where the encounter took place, and whether or not it was an ambush.  A 20-ft anaconda would weigh approximately 350lbs, and a large silverback gorilla (Eastern) would weigh up to 460lbs.  Gorillas have a natural fear of snakes, but let's assume this conflict is one of mutual necessity.  On land, without an ambush, the gorilla would have a good chance of crushing the snake's comparatively delicate head and would be strong enough to keep the anaconda from gaining too much headway with its coils.  With an ambush, it would depend on how fast the snake could apply the coils before the gorilla began to violently fight back.  If the coils don't work themselves around the ape's body in a short amount of time, the ensuing struggle will tire the reptile.  If the ambush is ideal and the snake wraps a couple of times or more around the gorilla's body, the gorilla is in trouble.  If the gorilla remained calm and systematically & correctly pulled at the coils to effect his release, I think it would be strong enough to do so (unless the coiling process was complete and the squeezing had begun).  The problem is whether or not the gorilla will know how to do this correctly in its panic-induced state. For example, if it grabs a coil that latched on left-to-right and starts pulling to the right, he will not be using force in the correct direction to obtain freedom.  It's all about what he will know to do.  As long as he's not coiled tight enough to began affecting his body functions, he has the physical ability to free himself.  It's doubtful, however, that he has the know-how to free himself.  In shallow water the anaconda can move more freely and won't tire as quickly.  The same rules apply here as on land; face-to-face the gorilla can subdue the snake before it gains ground, and an ambush would depend on the positioning and how advanced it got.  The gorilla's chances decrease here, however, as apes don't do well in water.  In deep water the gorilla is toast.

Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

BK