Interspecies Conflict/Spinosaurus vs 10 Silverback Gorillas

Question
QUESTION: Was just wondering who would win if a fight Spinosaurus vs 10 silver back gorillas.

ANSWER: Hello Yousuf.

This matchup was asked recently by another questioner, so I will give you the same answer I gave him.

There are several estimates for the size of Spinosaurus.  One of the more conservative ones I've found is from a book called "Dinosaurs & Prehistoric Life" by Andrew Campbell and Steve Parker.  It lists the Spinosaurus as being 40ft long and weighing 4.5-5.6 tons.  Other sources claim this beast may have been up to 4 times as heavy, but for the purposes of this conflict senario, we'll use the 5.6 ton version.  A spinosaurus this size would be close to 13ft tall at the hips(excluding its sail on its back which may have been as tall as 6ft).  This dinosaur had long jaws filled with sharp, pointed teeth.  Although it primarily fed on fish, it was capable of tackling much larger prey.  

The silverback gorilla could refer to one of two species(eastern & western), and for this conflict senario we'll use the larger one(eastern).  A large silverback gorilla can weigh over 400lbs, and can stand over 6ft tall(slightly over 3ft tall at the shoulder when on all fours).  It is a very strong animal, and it is capable of delivering a nasty bite.

Spinosaurus vs 10 silverback gorillas: The spinosaurus is simply too big.  It has the ability to kill each gorilla with one bite.  Even if the gorilla stands up, its head will be level with the spinosaurus' knee.  The gorillas won't be able to inflict any significant injury to the dinosaur.  Gorillas aren't predatory and would not know how to proceed with such a large foe.  What an animal looks like it could do and what it actually will do are usually two different things.  Even if the 10 gorillas knew how to cooperate(like wolves or hyenas), their chances of succeeding would be slim because they just don't possess the tools needed to do this.

Best regards.

QUESTION: The largest spinosaurus specimen vs 20 fully geared, fully armed roman legionnaires.

The largest spinosaurus specimen vs 8 Woolly Rhinos

Thank you for answering my questions I really appreciate it.

Regards, Yousuf.

ANSWER: Hello again Yousuf.

Spinosaurus vs 20 Roman legionnaires: The largest estimates for Spinosaurus describe it as weighing over 20 tons and attaining a length of close to 60ft.  Although these figures may be somewhat exaggerated, we will use one this size for this conflict.  The Roman soldiers were equipped with several assets for battle, most notably a shield, a sword, armor, and 2 javelins(spears).  To successfully subdue the huge Spinosaurus, the javelins would need to be thrown into vital areas in the dinosaur's body(preferably from a safe distance).  If the Spinosaurus fell, they could rush in and attempt to finish it with their swords.  However, this would take execution of a high level.  The Spinosaurus could easily bite or smash the men once they came close to it, and it would probably take a lot of damage before slowing down.  The outcome of this battle would depend on the javelins hitting their mark, and accuracy is unpredictable as distance is increased.  If the dinosaur realizes it's being attacked and aggressively defends itself, it will quickly dispose of the 20 men.  The leigonnaires can win, but the odds are against them.

Spinosaurus vs 8 woolly rhinoceroses:  For the dimensions of the woolly rhinoceros, I will refer to "Dinosaurs & Prehistoric Life" by Andrew Campbell and Steve Parker.  It states the rhino reached a length of 11.5ft and a weight of 4.5 tons, and was most closely related to the Sumatran rhino.  This is close to the size of today's white rhinoceroses(heavier but shorter).  Other estimates assign lesser weights to it(2.5 to 3.5 tons), but for the purposes of this battle we'll use the 4.5 ton version.  Each rhino will only weigh around 20% of the Spinosaurus.  The key to this battle will be whether or not the woolly rhinos can cause enough damage with their horns before falling victim to the dinosaur's jaws.  Another factor will be how the rhinos will react when faced with such a large foe.  The Spinosaurus may only need two or three bites to incapacitate each rhino, and the rhinos will need to impale Spinosaurus multiple times to incapacitate it.  Because the horns of the woolly rhinos won't readily reach anything other than the dinosaur's legs, the chances of hitting vital areas are not great.  If the rhinos work together and attack the legs all at once, they could topple the therapod and put its vital areas in range of the horns, but chances are they won't form a strategy like that.  With some animals(like wolves and African wild dogs), strategy and teamwork is a given, but rhinos aren't wired that way.  In order for the woolly rhinos to be favored, they would have to work together as a team and attack at once from various angles.  However, the more likely result is the rhinos attacking independently(at the point they feel threatened) and accomplishing a lot less. The Spinosaurus would probably be able to pick them off before succumbing to injury.  If the senario was 8 average woolly rhinoceroses against an average Spinosaurus, the rhinos would quickly overwhelm the dinosaur(but this Spinosaurus is probably just too big).

Best regards.   

QUESTION: Last questions:

How tall would a 60 feet long spinosaurus be?

Largest spinosaurus specimen vs Eotriceratops

Answer
Hello again Yousuf.

If we were to scale the Spinosaurus mentioned in "Dinosaurs & Prehistoric Life"(13ft tall at shoulder, 19ft tall including 6ft sail, 40ft long) up to a 60ft long specimen, it would be 19.5ft tall at the hips and 28.5ft at the top of the sail.  However, I don't think any Spinosaurus(even one that approached 60ft in length) actually attained this height.  A more realistic estimation for this 60ft dinosaur would be over 16ft tall at the hips and around 22.5-23.5ft at the top of the sail.  I wouldn't rule out an even lesser height for a 60ft Spinosuarus.  There's a lot of variation in the estimates of this animal, so it's hard to pinpoint its exact dimensions.

Spinosaurus vs Eotriceratops: The Eotriceratops reportedly reached 30ft in length and weighed 13tons(which is actually close to original over-exaggerations of the original Triceratops).  It would have been a worthy opponent for any land predator that ever existed, and this giant Spinosaurus is no different.  Even though the Spinosaurus was very tall and outweighed the Eotriceratops(in this senario), its jaws were not as strong as, let's say, a Tyrannosaurus Rex's.  Because the Spinosaurus primarily ate fish, it jaws were not evolved to be as effective against opponents than the jaws of other large theropods.  The bite was not made for ripping off large chunks of flesh(like T-Rex's), but to capture and hold prey.  The Spinosaurus' bite would certainly cause damage to another large animal, but it would take an accumulation of these bites to incapacitate the Eotriceratops.  The Eotriceratops had sharp horns that could be driven into the Spinosaurus' body with great effect.  The underbelly and sides of the Spinosaurus would be in range of unward thrusts by the horns.  A strong charge might actually topple the Spinosaurus.  The Eotriceratops' shoulder and neck area would be protected(for the most part) by its bony frill.  The best asset for the Spinosaurus in this fight is the great size advantage.  An average Eotriceratops would likely defeat an average Spinosaurus on most occasions, but the super-sized version of this theropod would close the gap.  Close to 50/50.

Best regards

Interspecies Conflict

BK