Interspecies Conflict/Spinosaurus vs 10 Silverback Gorillas

Question
Spinosaurus vs 10 Silverback Gorillas

Answer
Hello Tony.

There are several estimates for the size of Spinosaurus.  One of the more conservative ones I've found is from a book called "Dinosaurs & Prehistoric Life" by Andrew Campbell and Steve Parker.  It lists the Spinosaurus as being 40ft long and weighing 4.5-5.6 tons.  Other sources claim this beast may have been up to 4 times as heavy, but for the purposes of this conflict senario, we'll use the 5.6 ton version.  A spinosaurus this size would be close to 13ft tall at the hips(excluding its sail on its back which may have been as tall as 6ft).  This dinosaur had long jaws filled with sharp, pointed teeth.  Although it primarily fed on fish, it was capable of tackling much larger prey.  

The silverback gorilla could refer to one of two species(eastern & western), and for this conflict senario we'll use the larger one(eastern).  A large silverback gorilla can weigh over 400lbs, and can stand over 6ft tall(slightly over 3ft tall at the shoulder when on all fours).  It is a very strong animal, and it is capable of delivering a nasty bite.

Spinosaurus vs 10 silverback gorillas: The spinosaurus is simply too big.  It has the ability to kill each gorilla with one bite.  Even if the gorilla stands up, its head will be level with the spinosaurus' knee.  The gorillas won't be able to inflict any significant injury to the dinosaur.  Gorillas aren't predatory and would not know how to proceed with such a large foe.  What an animal looks like it could do and what it actually will do are usually two different things.  Even if the 10 gorillas knew how to cooperate(like wolves or hyenas), their chances of succeeding would be slim because they just don't possess the tools needed to do this.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

BK