Interspecies Conflict/varied

Question
hi there bk.250lb male jaguar vs 25ft green anaconda on land and in shallow water.20ft rock python vs 200lb male leopard same scenario.18ft saltwater crocodile vs 25ft green anaconda, shallow and deep water.thanks bk, apololgies if these aren't your strong subject but i can tell you are good going off your last two answers. thanks for your time bk:))

Answer
Hello Chris.

Jaguar vs anaconda on land: Jaguars are the reptile-killing specialists of the big cat world.  They have a very impressive bite force, and instictively subdue prey with a bite to the skull(unlike other big cats, which typically go for throat bites).  Caiman and anacondas have found their way on the jaguar's menu from time-to-time, and these cats are skilled at dealing with them.  With anacondas having limited stamina and mobilty on land, they are usually at a disadvantage against a large predator.  The prey anacondas usually attack(caimans, capybaras, etc) have no effective way of escape when wrapped with the snake's coils because their bodies are not built to effect an escape from that position.  The jaguar, however, has the maneuverability to struggle free if the coils aren't too tight.  The agility and weaponry of the jaguar(jaws and claws), as well as its familiarity with with this particular adversary, give it the means to defeat the anaconda on land on most occasions.  The anaconda in this senario likely tips the scales at well over 400lb, and it indeed has the capability to win this, but the scales are not balanced in its favor.  Jaguar wins.

Jaguar vs anaconda in shallow water: This is where the tide turns.  A 400lb anaconda in shallow water is capable of taking most animals in its weight range, and its mobility and endurance will not be compromised nearly as much as it would be on land.  The jaguar will still attempt to employ a skull bite(which would easily finish the snake), but it will have a more difficult time zeroing in on this target given the anaconda's improved movement.  The anaconda will attempt to bite the jaguar(to create an anchoring point) and throw its coils around the feline's body.  The key is whether or not the cat's skull bite can be applied before the coils wrap the jaguar up to the point it can't mount a counter-offensive.  At equal weight I would favor the jaguar to pull this off given its skill set, but giving up 150lb or more is a steep slope to climb.  The jaguar can win, but at these sizes, the anaconda must be favored.  If the water is very shallow the jaguar would still have the edge, but if the water is more than, let's say, 2-2.5 ft, the anaconda wins more times than not.

Rock python vs leopard on land: Rock pythons and leopards have crossed each other's paths many times in the wild, and have reportedly preyed on each other.  The rock python may be the most aggressive constrictor, and is a dangerous opponent.  I recently had the opportunity to hold a 60lb reticulated python, and I can vouch for the power of this snake.  However, the leopard will have many of the same advantages the jaguar has over the anaconda(agility, mobility, endurance, weaponry).  The python can't be counted out, but its chances are not good in this senario.  Leopard wins.

Rock python vs leopard in shallow water: This will be a close contest.  The teeth and claws of the leopard will still be very effective here, but the abilities of the rock python are obviously amped up.  The leopard doesn't have the skill to battle contrictors in the water to the same degree the jaguar does, but it can still pull it off.  Positioning is very important here, and key is whether or not the leopard's teeth and claws can cause enough damage to the python before the snake can wrap the coils around in the right areas to restrict the leopard's ability to effective fight back.  This will likely be a ferocious battle, and will probably not last long(given each animal's ability to dispatch the other).  It depends on how each stage of the fight plays out, but neither animal has the decisive edge.  In very shallow water I'd favor the leopard, but as the water depth increases, the needle slowly begins to point toward the python.

Saltwater crocodile vs green anaconda in shallow water:  An 18ft saltwater crocodile would likely weigh somewhere between 1600 and 2000lbs.  Crocodiles are well-armored reptiles with powerful jaws and cleat-like teeth made for holding prey in a vise-like grip.  Anacondas have tackled black caiman in their habitat, but the caimans were not the giants they can grow to be.  An anaconda can defeat a heavier crocodillian, but the one in this senario will weigh 4 to 5 times as much, and will be too tall a task.  The crocodile can finish this fight immediately if it bites the anaconda on its comparatively fragile skull.  If the anaconda wraps the crocodile up, it won't have the means to free itself, but the snake won't have the power to finish a crocodile this big.  There is a documentary I viewed a while back(can't recall the name of it) that showed a python wrapped around a crocodile for hours.  The crocodile was too large for the constrictor to compress effectively, but the crocodile could not escape.  Eventually the python uncoiled it and they both went their separate ways.  If the anaconda in our senario coiled around the crocodile's neck, it might have a shot, but the chances are not good for the snake in this contest.  One of the the reference books I frequently use is called "Smithsonian Animal: The Definitive Visual Guide" and the consultants for the reptile section are Chris Mattison & Ronald Crombie.  It states therein the green anaconda is powerful enough to asphyxiate animals up to the size of a horse.  An 18ft crocodile is double the weight of a horse, and too heavy and robust for the anaconda to conquer.

Saltwater crocodile vs green anaconda in deep water: For this particular matchup, the increased water depth would not give either animal any advantage profound enough to alter the outcome.  The saltwater crocodile is simply too big for the anaconda to defeat.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

BK