Interspecies Conflict/Small Buffaloes at War

Question
Hi BK,

I hope you're fine. I know that some species of small buffaloes are fierce. Could you kindly give me your opinion about these fights (males, same weight, determined to fight)? Thanks.

1) Tamaraw vs Lowland Anoa.

2) Forest Buffalo vs Lowland Anoa

3) Forest Buffalo vs Tamaraw

Answer
Hello Antonio.

Bovids are impressive animals, and most of the attention goes to the larger species (gaur, bison, Cape buffalo, water buffalo, etc.), but the smaller versions are just as interesting.

tamaraw vs lowland anoa (equal weights): Tamaraws have stocky builds and thick, V-shaped horns that point backwards (and are angled slightly lower than the plane of the face).  The lowland anoa has a small build with short, pointed horns that point to the back (away from the snout).  The tamaraw's horns have a large, flat surface and can be used to ram or stab.  Anoas attack by lowering their heads are thrusting their horns forward at various angles to stab.  The tamaraw is a more powerful animal than the anoa, and should get the better of this encounter.  

forest buffalo vs lowland anoa (equal weights): The forest buffalo resembles a small Cape buffalo, with a muscular build and crescent-shaped horns that curve backwards (but have no frontal boss) and line up with the plane of the face.  The lowland anoa has a small build with short, pointed horns that point to the back (away from the snout).  The forest buffalo will swing its horns to stab (much like its larger cousin).  The forest buffalo is a more robust animal, and would overpower the more slightly-built anoa.

forest buffalo vs tamaraw (equal weights): The forest buffalo resembles a small Cape buffalo, with a muscular build and crescent-shaped horns that curve backwards.  Tamaraws have stocky builds and stout, V-shaped horns that point backwards.  Both are powerful bovids for their size, but the tamaraw might be the more aggressive one.  The forest buffalo's horns, however, are probably better positioned to cause injury to an opponent.  Edge to the forest buffalo.

Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

BK