Interspecies Conflict/varied

hi there bk.large male leopard vs 2 pitbulls.large male leopard vs 20ft green anaconda.large male leopard vs large silverback.and finally did you hear about the giant alligator caught recently?drop it in the amazon do you think it would be top predator?thanks again for your time bk,and i have to say your alround knowledge of animals is incredible,you are a credit to the site:)

Hello Chris.  Thank you for the kind words.

large male leopard vs 2 pitbulls: A large leopard will weigh 3 times as much as each American pitbull terrier.  Assuming the pitbulls are game-bred, they will rush in immediately and attempt to lock on to the leopard with their jaws (aiming for neck or face area).  A leopard is very quick & agile, and can use his claws & bite to great effect against other animals.  It's hard to imagine the pitbulls latching on to areas on the leopard that would prevent it from battling back effectively.  The leopard will likely grab the first dog that reaches it with its claws and bite down, and the other dog's arrival will probably cause the leopard to disengage the first one and bite & claw wherever on each dog it could readily reach.  The pitbulls will not break off their attack, but they will not be able to cause enough damage (or blood loss) to the leopard before the cat seriously injures/incapacitates them.  The pitbulls' lack of a teamwork strategy will hurt their cause here.  Leopards are accustomed to battling hyenas, wild dogs, etc., and that will help it to not panic when attacked.  It won't be easy, but the leopard should be large and well-armed enough to win this matchup.

large male leopard vs 20ft green anaconda: This anaconda will weigh almost twice the leopard's weight.  Where this battle takes place (land or water) will make a difference in the outcome.  Although anacondas are excellent ambush predators, they don't fare well in face-to-face confrontations on land (poor mobility & poor endurance).  The leopard isn't a reptile-killing expert on the same level as a jaguar, but it still has the agility & weaponry to get the job done on most occasions.  Leopards have dealt with rock pythons (which are faster & more aggressive than anacondas, but much lighter at equal lengths), and this will help it a little bit.  The anaconda will try to latch on to the leopard with its backward-pointing teeth and wrap it coils around the leopard, but the cat will have the quickness to avoid this and utilize its claws & jaws to attack the snake and wear it down.  The leopard would have to be extremely careless to lose to an anaconda on land.  In water, the anaconda's mobility will be vastly improved, and the greater ease of movement will enable it to battle for longer periods of time before it gets exhausted.  The leopard will find it hard to bite & claw the anaconda because the boa will be much harder to control and will be counter-attacking.  At these weights, the anaconda will be too large for the leopard to overcome on most occasions.  On land I favor the leopard, but in water I favor the anaconda.

large male leopard vs large silverback:  A large leopard will weigh 40-45% the weight of a large silverback gorilla.  Leopards have successfully ambushed sleeping gorillas by quickly getting into a good position to land a killing bite, but face-to-face would be a different scenario.  Leopards have many advantages over a gorilla in terms of combat (agility, quickness, sharp claws, killing experience), and are strong felines pound-for-pound, but will not have as much absolute strength as a gorilla over twice its size.  Gorillas have long, powerful arms that can be used to grab or apply blunt force, and has a dangerous bite of its own.  The gorilla will have enough mobility to continue turning toward the leopard to face it on most occasions, and the leopard won't have the desire to tackle the ape head-on when giving up this much size.  If the 2 engage, the leopard will likely roll onto its back and try to utilize its back claws to kick/disembowel the ape, but the gorilla will be trying to bite & use its arms in a clubbing manner (with strikes being more accidental than precise) to overcome the cat.  Gorillas aren't used to taking on other large animals of another species in combat, but the size & strength advantage it has over the leopard here will give it the edge in this contest.  The leopard's goal will be to get into that "killing bite" position, and it will be difficult to do with a large gorilla that's aware of its presence.  I would consider a big cat against an ape twice its size to be a close fight on most occasions, but this gorilla will be over twice the leopard's size, and that will be enough to overcome the cat's weaponry.  Slight edge to the gorilla.

I have read about large alligators being caught here-and-there, but I'm not sure of which particular one you're referring to.  Large alligators can approach 1/2 a ton in weight, but are usually lighter.  In the Amazon, the black caiman is one of the dominant predators, and it can get almost as heavy as an alligator.  An alligator dropped into the Amazon would probably be just as formidable (if not more so) than a black caiman.  Its only real threat would be the jaguar (if the alligator ventured onto land), but overall I believe it would have a good chance to be the top predator.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.