Interspecies Conflict/Battle Royal

Hey BK, how's the New Year treating you?

1: I'm not sure why you don't think a boar could defeat a black rhino in combat. Yeah the horn is a better weapon but the razor-edged fangs of a suid are not far behind, and the boar is faster, more agile, more intelligent, and comparably protected (especially in the chest area). Boars have been known to beat tigers, bears, etc. in fights.

2: Enhanced boar (i.e. boar with rhino horn on it) vs. enraged musth elephant at parity

3: Enhanced boar vs. triceratops (the actual historical animal, not Triceraton) at parity

4: Enhanced boar vs. short-faced bear at parity

5: 20 fishers vs. normal prime wild boar at their normal sizes

Hello Martin.  The New Year's been good so far.  I hope yours is good as well.

1. A black rhinoceros will has a couple of important advantages over a wild boar (at parity).  A black rhinoceros is a much stronger animal pound-for-pound, and it has a decisive reach advantage with its long frontal horn.  The boar will certainly have a decent edge in speed & agility ( and will be taller at the shoulder at parity), but it will not be able to dispatch the rhino with its tusks before it gets impaled by the rhino's horn.  The rhinoceros will be powerful enough to drive its horn through the tough hide of the boar, and will be solid enough to withstand the initial slashes of the boar.  Wild boars are indeed formidable animals, and can hold their own against many animals in their weight range, but a black rhinoceros is on a higher level.

2. enhanced boar (i.e. boar with rhino horn on it) vs. enraged musth elephant (at parity): The elephant in musth will have a definite strength advantage over the boar, but the boar will be quicker.  The horn of the boar will impede the usefulness of the tusks when it tries to slash upwards, but the tusks can still be utilized in a side-to-side fashion.  The skin of an elephant is about an inch thick, but it has no layer of fat underneath, and can be breached by the boar's tusks.  However, the elephant will be able to apply a great deal of concussive force with each motion that makes contact with the boar, and the tusks will be able to penetrate the tough hide of the boar considering the strength of the pachyderm.  This won't be an easy fight for the elephant, and it will get injured, but the combination of its ferocity (in musth) & great strength will enable it to prevail more times than not.  Edge to elephant in musth.

3. enhanced boar vs. short-faced bear (at parity): The short-faced bear (Arctodus) wasn't built as solidly as today's brown bears, but its longer legs enabled it to attain higher speeds in pursuit of prey.  It probably wasn't as well-adapted for dealing with large opponents as, let's say, the polar bear, but it still had the advantages shared by other ursids (strength, endurance, use of paws to swipe/control movement, jaws).  Arctodus would need to use its paws to keep the enhanced boar's weaponry (horn/tusks) at bay, and probably had the strength/agility to do so.  The enhanced boar's horn would impede the use of the tusks if it tried to slash upwards, but could still be effective in a side-to-side slashing attack.  Once Arctodus gained control of the head of the boar (thus neutralizing its weapons of attack), it could bite the boar without significant worry of a counter-attack.  Close fight, but the bear's endurance & paw usage should allow it to prevail more times than not.  Slight edge to short-faced bear.

4. 20 fishers vs. normal prime wild boar (at their normal sizes): The wild boar will weigh more than 30 fishers.  Fishers are great hunters (mice, porcupines, etc.), but would have no idea how to tackle an adversary this big.  The wild boar's tough hide would stand up well to the fisher's attacks, and would be able to dispatch each of them easily with a slash of its tusks (even if the mustelids had the know-how to attack en masse).  Wild boar wins.

Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.