Interspecies Conflict/New year's question.

Hello BK
Does the quick reflexes of cats have anything to do with their low stamina?
Is a zebra's night vision greater than a big cats? If so how much?
giant otter vs wolverine
hyena vs deinonychus at parity
Atlantic Blue Marlin v Largetooth Sawfish
Reticulated Python v Oceanic Whitetip Shark
Deinosuchus v Kronosaurus
green anaconda vs giant octopus
recticulated python vs giant octopus
narwhal vs sawfish
narwhal vs colossal squid
yellow anaconda vs goliath tigerfish
Koolasuchus cleelandi vs giant squid

Hello Johnny.

Q: Does the quick reflexes of cats have anything to do with their low stamina?
A: Most animals endowed with fast-twitch muscles (for explosive bursts of speed) don't have great stamina (endurance) as a result (the same way some animals without the same amount of these fast-twitch muscles may have great endurance), but I'm not sure if there's a direct correlation between reflexes & stamina.  Reflexes are controlled by nerves, and stamina has to do with both muscles & usage of the cardiovascular system.  It seems plausible that there is (a correlation), because the animals with some of the fastest reflexes (like big cats) have some of the lower staminas.  However, one can consider the bear, which has great endurance & quick paw reflexes (demonstrated by the brown bears snatching spawning salmon with amazing quickness).  I believe that there is a relationship between the 2, but I don't know of any axiom that states an animal with great stamina has slower reflexes and an animal with poor stamina has faster reflexes (even though it seems to make sense in most situations).

Q: Is a zebra's night vision greater than a big cats? If so how much?
A: Zebras have good night vision, but its probably not as good as a big cat's.  Most predators have evolved to have vision that exceeds the vision of the animals they prey on.  Most big cats are exclusively nocturnal, and evolution has given them the vision to operate effectively in the dark.

Giant otter vs Wolverine: The giant otter will weigh almost double the wolverine's weight.  Otters are extremely agile in water, but their mobility is somewhat compromised on land due to their limbs & build.  The otter's bite can certainly be dangerous, but it will lack the mobility needed (on land) to counter the wolverine's fierce attack (with strong jaws & sharp claws).  A shallow water battle will probably favor the larger mustelid, but a land battle will favor the smaller one.  Edge to wolverine.

Hyena vs Deinonychus (at parity): Deinonychus was well-equipped for battle with sharp claws to kick with and decent sized jaws to bite with.  Any of the large hyena species would have a chance with a well-placed bite, but without the ability to jump onto the Deinonychus, the chances of avoiding the theropod's diversified offense wouldn't be good.  The powerfully-built spotted hyena would have the best chance among the hyenas, but Deinonychus would still be favored slightly.  Edge to Deinonychus.

Atlantic Blue Marlin vs Largetooth Sawfish: The sawfish will have a decent size advantage, but both will have potent weaponry.  The blue marlin can stab with its sharp bill, but the sawfish can slash side-to-side with its rostrum.  The sawfish will likely be more precise with its weapon, and its size advantage will give it more power.  Both can win, but the sawfish is favored.  Largetooth sawfish wins.

Reticulated Python vs Oceanic Whitetip Shark: These animals will be close in weight.  The python will need to wrap up the shark before it lands a few good bites with its razor-sharp teeth (which can slice into the snake).  The shark should be mobile enough to bite the python before it gets immobilized, and the fish will probably wound the reptile enough to subdue it more times than not.  Could go either way; edge to the oceanic whitetip shark.

Deinosuchus vs Kronosaurus: Knonosaurus probably weighed about the same as Deinosuchus, but some estimates place its weight as twice as heavy.  Both have strong bites.  Kronosaurus had an advantage in mobility (with 4 flippers for navigation), but Deinosuchus was protected by armor-like hide.  Decent battle at parity, but the more mobile Kronosaurus would have more opportunities to land a good bite to a vulnerable area.  Kronosaurus wins.

Green anaconda vs Giant octopus: The anaconda will weigh about 3 times as much as the octopus.  An octopus can squeeze through an opening it's beak can fit through, and this ability will make it difficult to constrict.  However, the larger anaconda will be much stronger, and will be able to force its coils around the octopus to hold it in place.  A prolonged battle will favor the giant octopus if the anaconda can't surface, and a stalemate might be a reasonable conclusion.  An attack of constantly tightening coils may eventually subdue the octopus, and the cephalopod's beak might not be in a position to do any damage once these 2 engage.  Edge to green anaconda.

Reticulated python vs Giant octopus: The python will weigh around twice as much as the octopus.  The larger snake will be stronger, but the soft-bodied octopus will be hard to constrict.  The octopus may have an huge arm span, so it may appear larger than the snake despite the lighter weight.  The beak of the octopus can cause damage with its bite, but it will be hard for the octopus to use it once the coils of the python began squeezing its body.  Probably closer to a stalemate than anything else, but the need for the python to breathe oxygen may hinder it.  Probably a 50/50.

Narwhal vs Sawfish: Sawfish can get heavier than narwhals, and their weaponry can be wielded more effectively.  Narwhals have a long tusk (actually an overgrown tooth) that can exceed 2.5 meters in length, but to use it to stab would require more precision than the side-to-side strikes utilized by the sawfish.  Both can win with the right strike, but the sawfish will be favored.  Sawfish wins.

Narwhal vs Colossal squid: The narwhal can weigh 3 times as much as a colossal squid, but the long tentacles of the cephalopod will cause problems for it.  A narwhal can kill the squid if it spears it in the right spot, but the typical stab attempt will bring the narwhal close enough to be wrapped up.  The colossal squid might have trouble dispatching the narwhal, but it can keep it from employing an offense once it gets a hold of it.  Edge to colossal squid.

Yellow anaconda vs Goliath tigerfish: The anaconda will weigh slightly more than the tigerfish.  The tigerfish will be able to make quicker movements in the water, and its sharp teeth can wear the snake down with multiple bites.  The anaconda can still latch onto the the tigerfish with a counter-bite & wrap around the fish to constrict it, but that won't happen every time.  Slight edge to the goliath tigerfish.

Koolasuchus cleelandi vs Giant squid: Koolasuchus cleelandi would have weighed up to twice as much as a giant squid.  Its bite (Koolasuchus) might have been able to finish the fight on some occasions, but most scenarios would have the long tentacles of the squid wrapping it up & giving it no easy way to escape.  Edge to giant squid.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.