Interspecies Conflict/question

Hi BK,

How are you?

I'm back with some questions.

Male Sloth Bear 170KG VS Male Bengal Tiger 200KG.

Male Sloth Bear 170KG VS Lioness 150KG.

Male Eurasian Brown Bear 250KG VS Male Lion 250KG.

Male Warthog 100KG VS Male Leopard 75KG.

2 Female Spotted Hyenas 70KG VS Lionnes 140KG.

2 Male Baboons 40KG VS Male Leopard 70KG.

2 Male Chimpansees 50KG VS Male Leopard 70KG.

Male Baboon 40KG VS Male Gray Wolf 60KG.

Male Chimpanzee 60KG VS Female Spotted Hyena 70KG.

Male Grizzly Bear 200KG VS Male Siberian Tiger 250KG.

There are reports of wild dog slain by Spotted Hyenas?

There are reports of Lions slain by Spotted Hyenas?

There are reports of Leopard slain by Spotted Hyenas?

There are reports of Tigers slain by bears?

Thank you for your response.
Are you grateful for.

Hello Henk.  Doing OK here.

Male Sloth Bear (170kg) vs Male Bengal Tiger (200kg): Sloth bears have sharp claws and can be aggressive when a situation calls for it.  However, a Bengal tiger with this much of a weight advantage will be too tall a task.  The sloth bear will likely chase the tiger away in a realistic situation, but a tiger determined to overcome the bear will have the assets (agility, quickness, killing bite) to do so.  Bengal tiger wins.

Male Sloth Bear (170kg) vs Lioness (150kg): This will be a close fight.  Sloth bears aren't on the same level as brown bears, but are still capable combatants (sharp claws, endurance, etc.).  Lionesses are in conflict with a variety of dangerous animals on a regular basis, and are more practiced at competing physically with them than sloth bears are.  The weight advantage enjoyed by the sloth bear will help it to a degree, but a lioness is too seasoned a fighter to not be favored.  Slight edge to lioness.

Male Eurasian Brown Bear (250kg) vs Male Lion (250kg): Each animal will have its own set of advantages in this matchup.  Eurasian brown bears are durable & strong, and have great endurance.  Their huge paws (armed with long claws) can be an effective weapon to strike with, and can be used to wrestle/control an adversary to deliver a crunching bite.  The lion in this conflict will be slightly taller at the shoulder than the bear.  Male lions are well-practiced at battling other male lions for territory/pride rights, and have dangerous claws & teeth.  The lion will be quicker, more agile, and have the ability to finish the bear with a throat-bite, but will succumb to fatigue in a prolonged battle.  Lions can tackle large prey items (zebra, buffalo, etc.), but don't meet bears in the wild, and will find engaging one to be challenging due to the ursid's flexibility & paw usage (it can fight back more effectively than a typical prey item).  Brown bears & big cats are very close at equal weights.  50/50.

Male Warthog (100kg) vs Male Leopard (75kg): Warthogs are nimble animals with long, sharp tusks.  They are capable of seriously injuring an attacker.  Any animal battling a warthog will need to mount its offense while avoiding these tusks, and it won't be easy for one weighing less than the suid.  Leopards have the quickness, agility, and finishing know-how to succeed here, but it won't be easy without an ambush.  The leopard's smaller size will make it hard to control the larger warthog with its forepaws, and this increases the likelihood of it getting slashed by the tusks.  The leopard will need to be slightly heavier to be favored.  Edge to warthog.

2 Female Spotted Hyenas (70kg) vs Lioness (140kg): Spotted hyenas work well as a team, but the lioness will be too quick & agile for the tandem to have much success.  Hyenas are very durable & have extremely strong bites, but they are somewhat ungainly & won't be able to avoid the lioness' potent offense (primarily sharp, swiping claws).  Once the lioness injures one hyena, it will be easy for it to rush in & finish the other.  A 3rd hyena would be needed to overcome this lioness.  Lioness wins.

2 Male Baboons (40kg) vs Male Leopard (70kg): This is a very risky fight for the leopard, but it has the tools (agility, jaws, claws, etc.) to dispatch a baboon rather quickly.  2 baboons will have a good chance to drive the leopard away by baring their long upper canines, and can easily injure the felid with a few well-placed bites.  The leopard's quick use of its paws will be its meal ticket in a down & dirty skirmish, but it's unlikely the cat will escape injury.  Edge to male leopard.      

2 Male Chimpanzees (50kg) vs Male Leopard (70kg): Chimpanzees don't typically battle other similar-sized animals (they prefer to bluff & intimidate), but have grabbing hands & decent bites that can aid them if they have to fight.  Leopards are well-equipped for hunting & fighting (strong jaws, sharp claws, killing know-how), and exceed chimpanzees in speed & agility.  These 2 chimpanzees can drive the leopard away on most occasions, but aren't armed well enough to overtake it without getting seriously injured themselves.  The primates' hides won't hold up well to the sharp claws (front & back) of the leopard.  Edge to leopard.

Male Baboon (40kg) vs Male Gray Wolf (60kg): Assuming the baboon is a chacma or an olive, it will have a decent chance to compete with this wolf.  Baboons have good mobility, grabbing hands, & sharp canines that serve them well in conflicts.  Grey wolves are better fighting as a team than solo, but have strong bites than can cause a lot of damage to a baboon.  The key to this battle will be whether or not the baboon can avoid the big bite of the wolf long enough to deliver bites of its own, and where the wolf latches onto with its jaws.  This fight can go either way, but the heavier wolf is slightly favored.  Edge to grey wolf.  

Male Chimpanzee (60kg) vs Female Spotted Hyena (70kg): Chimpanzees are strong animals with decent bites, but they aren't equipped to dispatch a similar-sized opponent one-on-one.  Hyenas usually team up in conflicts, but their durable builds & bone-crushing bites make them more formidable in battle than a chimpanzee.  The chimpanzee might succeed in intimidating the hyena, but won't have the tools to defeat it in a rumble.  The chimpanzee will have the edge in mobility, but its bite won't have nearly as much effect on the hyena as the hyena's bite will have on it.  Even a parity fight will favor the hyena.  Female spotted hyena wins.

Male Grizzly Bear (200kg) vs Male Siberian Tiger (250kg): Brown bear vs big cat matchups are typically close, and either animal with a decent weight advantage will be favored.  Siberian tigers cross paths (and do battle with) brown bears on occasion, but grizzly bears don't cross paths with any felids larger than a puma (100kg).  When considering the attributes of a grizzly bear (great strength & endurance, durability, strong jaws & huge paws), it makes it easy to favor them in many battles.  However, a Siberian tiger has impressive attributes of its own (speed, agility, jaws & claws, finishing know-how).  The task of defeating a grizzly bear quickly enough to keep its endurance advantage from becoming a factor is a tall order for a big cat, but a Siberian tiger at this weight should prevail more times than not considering its experience with Siberian brown bears.  Siberian tiger wins.

Q: Are there reports of wild dogs slain by spotted hyenas?
A: I don't know of any, but I'm sure it's happened.  Hyenas are the most numerous large predator in Africa, and there's probably incidents of them killing African wild dogs considering the habitat overlaps.  African wild dogs are very nimble, and it would be difficult for a spotted hyena to catch one without it being a group vs group encounter.

Q: Are there reports of lions slain by spotted hyenas?
A: This has occurred, but usually in a situation where a large group of hyenas trap a young, injured, old, or nomadic lion.  A healthy adult lion (especially one in a pride) won't typically fall victim to a group of spotted hyenas.  Battles between large groups of lions & hyenas will happen, and injuries to both sides can be common, but the death of a healthy lion would be very unusual.

Q: Are there reports of leopards slain by spotted hyenas?
A: I don't know of any I can recall, but it's a possibility.  Leopards are solitary and hyenas form large clans, and the habitat overlap means a lot of interaction occurs with the cat being outnumbered on occasion.  Leopards are very cautious & alert, and will take to the trees when danger (lions or hyenas) approaches.  It would take more than one hyena to dispatch a healthy adult leopard.

Q: Are there reports of tigers slain by bears?
A: Tigers & bears have reportedly killed one another on occasion.  Disputes at kills (and tiger predation on bears) occur, and a big brown bear is certainly capable of killing a tiger.  Other than the interaction between Siberian tigers & Siberian brown bears, I haven't come across any reports of a bear species killing a tiger.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.