Interspecies Conflict/None

Question
Hi, long time no see!
This time, my questions are a bit peculiar.

1. Sun bear vs Gray wolf

2. Olive baboon vs Snow Leopard

3. Sloth bear vs Gray wolf

4. Sun bear vs wolverine (hope I didn't repeat this one)

5. Gray wolf vs Ovtcharka

6. Ovtcharka vs Kangal

7. German Shepherd vs Doberman

8. Main event: Polar bear vs Leopard seal

Thanks!

Answer
Hello Jem.

1. Sun bear vs Gray wolf: The sun bear will typically weigh more than the gray wolf (by 10% or more).  Sun bears have the attributes of the larger bear species (strength, endurance, durability), as well as a strong bite & sharp claws.  Grey wolves also have good endurance & a strong bite.  The gray wolf will have the advantage in lateral movement (and will try the "bite, retreat, & repeat" attack), but will be at risk of injury from swiping paws every time it comes close to the sun bear.  The use of its paws is a huge asset for the sun bear, and its aggression will probably be enough to drive the wolf away before anything gets serious.  If the wolf persists in its assault, it will likely be mauled by the bear.  Sun bear wins.

2. Olive baboon vs Snow Leopard: A snow leopard can weigh close to double the olive baboon's weight.  Snow leopards have the attributes shared by other big cats (agility, quickness, killing know-how), and have strong jaws & sharp claws (to hold/swipe with).  Olive baboons are robust primates with good mobility & sharp, upper canines that can cause serious injuries to an adversary in a short amount of time.  This is a dangerous fight for the snow leopard, but it should be able to use it forelimbs quickly enough to control the baboon's movement & finish with a throat bite.  Snow leopard wins.

3. Sloth bear vs Gray wolf: The sloth bear weighs over 3 times as much as the gray wolf.  Sloth bears have the attributes of the other bear species (strength, endurance, durability), as well as a strong bite & sharp claws.  Wolves are nimble & have an effective bite, but a sloth bear is too large & powerful for one to tackle solo.  An angry sloth bear can dispatch a persistent gray wolf with little difficulty.  Sloth bear wins.  

4. Sun bear vs Wolverine: A sun bear weighs over 3 times as much as a wolverine.  These 2 animals have similar offensive capabilities (strong bites, sharp claws, use of limbs to control positioning) & are known for their aggression.  However, the bear is simply too big here.  The feisty wolverine is certainly capable of driving the sun bear away, but any down & dirty fight will favor the larger animal.  Sun bear wins.

5. Gray wolf vs Ovtcharka: Ovtcharka (Russian for "sheepdog") can refer to the Caucasian Ovcharka or the Central Asian Ovcharka.  Both breeds are typically heavier than the gray wolf.  The Caucasian Ovcharka is a large, powerful dog with broad (but short) muzzle.  This thick-furred canine is used as a livestock guardian and has been used in Russian prisons.  Caucasian Ovcharkas can be combative & ferocious.  Central Asian Ovcharkas have similar physical attributes (but aren't quite as aggressive), and have been used to guard livestock from wolves & bears.  Wolves don't typically battle other animals solo (usually have help from other members of the pack), but are capable fighters with good endurance, agility, & big bites.  A gray wolf close to the weight of either Ovcharka will win on most occasions in a full-blown fight, but a realistic encounter will see the wolf being driven away by either dog (assuming they're trained).  Once these dogs begin to exceed the wolf's weight by over 33% or so, the battle that ensues will be a close one on most occasions.

6. Ovtcharka vs Kangal: Both Ovcharkas (Caucasian & Central Asian) will be slightly heavier than the Kangal.  Kangals are solid & powerful, and have strong bites.  Like the Ovcharkas, they are used to protect livestock from predators.  The Kangal's combat ability is probably close to the Ovcharkas' (pound-for-pound), but it will be lighter on most occasions.  Edge to the Ovcharkas.

7. German Shepherd vs Doberman: These dogs will weigh the same.  Both breeds are intelligent & highly trainable.  German shepherds are muscular dogs with long, strong necks.  These confident canines are often trained as military or police dogs.  Dobermans are compact dogs with a long, tapered muzzle.  They make excellent watchdogs, and are alert & fearless.  Dobermans are slightly taller at the shoulder, but aren't quite as robust front-to-back.  Slight edge to German Shepherd.

8. Main event: Polar bear vs Leopard seal: A polar bear can weigh almost 50% more than the leopard seal.  Polar bears are tremendously powerful bears that routinely attack large walruses & seals when they venture out of the water.  Leopard seal are active, aggressive predators (attacking smaller seals, penguins, squid, etc.) that are armed with formidable jaws & sharp teeth.  Seals don't have great mobility on land, and a leopard seal won't be able to escape from an attacking polar bear without water nearby.  The polar bear will use its forelimbs to hold the leopard seal in place (and to deflect any counter-bites), and overcome it with jaws & claws.  In the water, however, the result will be different.  Seals have excellent mobility in the water, and a leopard seal would swim circles around a polar bear.  A swimming polar bear can't apply effective offense (primarily holding & swiping) in the water like it can on land.  It won't be able to prevent the leopard seal from biting it, and probably won't be able to catch it with jaws or claws on most occasions.  Land: Polar bear wins.  Water: Leopard seal wins.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

BK