Interspecies Conflict/Swordsman vs Animals

I attempted to submit a question a couple of years ago but unfortunately it was never answered so I am trying again now!

How would a skilled swordsman at 90kg with a 3 foot sword and protective armour (light enough to not greatly restrict movement) fare against the following animals?

1. Clouded Leopard
2. Spotted Hyena
3. Wolverine
4. Chimp
5. Salt-water Crocodile on land
6. Giant Forest Hog
7. American Pit-bull
9. Grizzly Bear
10.Bengal Tiger

As well as an answer as to who would win, please also provide an explanation as to why.

Many thanks in advance

Hello Amar.

1. Swordsman vs Clouded Leopard: Clouded leopards can weigh up to 23kg.  They are extremely agile felids with sharp claws and strong bites.  The upper canines of a clouded leopard can reach 4 1/2cm in length.  The armor of the swordsman will protect it from the teeth & claws of the clouded leopard, and he should be able to use his sword offensively to win this battle.  Swordsman wins.

2. Swordsman vs Spotted Hyena: A big spotted hyena can exceed 70kg in weight and reach almost a meter tall at the shoulder.  It is a battle-tested animal, often rumbling with the likes of lions, leopards, and African wild dogs.  The spotted hyena is very durable (can't be injured easily in a fight), has great endurance, and has jaws capable of exerting a great deal of pressure (can crush large bones at a carcass).  The armor of the swordsman should protect him long enough to use his sword to finish the fight (the lateral quickness of the hyena isn't top-notch), but he can be bowled over by the hyena if he isn't careful.  The swordsman should have enough time to pull this off on most occasions.  Swordsman wins.

3. Swordsman vs Wolverine: A large wolverine can approach 20kg in weight.  They are among the strongest mammals (pound-for-pound), and use their boldness & ferocity to drive other animals (even wolves and bears) from their kills.  Wolverines are armed with strong jaws (can crush frozen meat & bone), powerful clawed limbs, and supple bodies.  As formidable as the wolverine is, it will be too small to easily topple the swordsman, and will have difficulty breaching his armor.  The swordsman should be able to win this battle with his skill & weaponry.  Swordsman wins.

4. Swordsman vs Chimp: Chimpanzees usually reach close to 60kg in weight, but can get a bit heavier on occasion.  They are very intelligent apes.  Chimpanzees have good strength, grabbing hands, and decent bites.  They aren't, however, practiced at one-on-one combat with animals outside their own species (usually use intimidating displays, help from group members, or the safety of trees).  A chimpanzee will be physically a lot stronger than the human, but won't have any means of effective offense against an armor-clad human.  The swordsman should be skilled enough to dispatch the ape with his sword on most occasions.  Swordsman wins.

5. Swordsman vs Saltwater Crocodile on land: A large saltwater crocodile can weigh as much as 1000kg, but most weigh much less.  Crocodiles have armored hides (covered in osteoderms, or bony growths) and massively powerful bites (to grab & hold).  They are limited on land by their lack of overall mobility & poor stamina, but can still make quick movements in short bursts.  For the swordsman, placement of his sword thrusts will be important.  A single stab might not be enough if it doesn't strike a vulnerable area, and the violent retaliation can injure the swordsman.  The jaws of the crocodile can clamp onto the body of the human, and greatly restrict his movement.  If he drops his sword (or if it becomes lodged in the reptile's tough hide), he may be in trouble.  Coming close enough to the crocodile to use his sword will put him in danger (jaws on one end, powerful tail on the other).  The swordsman can win with the right approach, but there's the uncertainty (from his perspective) of how the crocodile will react to his attack.  If the armor is thick enough (and covers all of the swordsman's body) it may result in a stalemate (the crocodile holding the human in place, but unable to do further damage) if there's no water around.  Many factors to consider, but I give the overall edge to the saltwater crocodile.

6. Swordsman vs Giant Forest Hog: A giant forest hog can exceed 275kg in weight and reach over a meter at the shoulder.  It is a capable combatant (good lateral movement, tough hide, long tusks), and can be aggressive when threatened.  The giant forest hog occasionally encounters spotted hyenas and leopards.  The swordsman's opportunity to effectively strike/stab with his weapon may be short-lived, as the hog will be strong enough to knock him over with its initial contact.  As with the last matchup with the crocodile, the accuracy of the swordsman's first strike will be paramount.  The specifications of the human's armor will be a factor to consider as well.  If the armor is thick, it will be heavy enough to limit the swordsman's mobility, and he won't be able to make the right movements or create the right distance to most effectively combat the suid's attack.  If the armor is thin enough to allow for decent mobility, it may not hold up to the charges of the hog.  How much of the human's body the armor covers will be important as well.  Full coverage will offer greater protection, but will limit agility & dexterity.  Giant forest hogs, like all suids, are tough opponents due to their toughness & weaponry.  The swordsman may win if his skill level is high enough and the other factors (regarding the armor) bode most favorably for him, but the giant forest hog can't be counted out.  Without knowing more, I'd slightly favor the giant forest hog.

7. Swordsman vs American Pit-bull: American Pitbull Terriers can vary in weight, but 30kg is a preferred operational weight for it.  The APBT (if game-bred) is probably the most formidable breed (pound-for-pound) in regards to canine combat.  They are strong, athletic, durable, and have great endurance.  APBTs will rush in immediately, and attempt to latch onto whatever is offered to them (typically aim for the head/face area).  In this particular matchup, this berserker attack method will likely work to the canid's detriment.  The APBT will place itself in danger by trying to bite into the swordsman's armor, and it probably won't consider the need to defend itself from the human's sword.  If the swordsman knows what he's doing, he will prevail more times than not.  Swordsman wins.

9. Swordsman vs Grizzly Bear: A big grizzly bear can fall within the 300-500kg range, but one exceeding 450kg can be considered exceptional.  Grizzly bears are powerful, aggressive ursids with strong jaws and long claws (10cm).  They can use their mighty forelimbs to deliver forceful swipes or hinder an opponent's movement, and according to "The World Book Encyclopedia", rarely lose a fight with another type of animal.  Grizzly bears, like all bears, have great durability & endurance.  The swordsman will need to strike quickly and accurately to have a decent chance here, and even that won't guarantee a victory for him.  Bears can fight ferociously even when seriously wounded, and a grizzly will certainly have enough power to knock the swordsman down with casual contact.  The bear will easily be able to hold the swordsman on the ground and control his ability to move (and severely limit his options), and attack his head/neck area until he breaches whatever protection is there.  If the armor has any degree of flexibility, the swordsman can be crushed by the bear's great weight.  The swordsman can win with a proverbial "lucky strike", but any initial failure on his part at the onset of this battle will lead to him being dominated by this bear.  Grizzly bear wins.

10.Swordsman vs Bengal Tiger: A Bengal tiger can exceed 250kg in weight and reach well over a meter tall at the shoulder.  It is a superb hunter, capable of ambushing animals as large as a bull gaur.  Tigers have great agility, speed, athleticism, and explosive-action capabilities.  They are armed with powerful jaws (with canines exceeding 5cm in length), sharp claws, and killing know-how & experience.  The swordsman will probably have a single, desperate opportunity to utilize his sword before the tiger crashes into him and pulls him to the ground.  It's unlikely, at this point, the swordsman will be able to wield his sword or effective use it to defend himself.  His armor will give him protection, but the crafty tiger will likely find a way to breach it while holding the human in place (thanks to the cat's paw/forelimb usage).  The impact of the tiger making contact with the swordsman can easily cause injury.  Imagine being tackled by a professional football player at top speed and how easily one might be injured by this.  A tiger is twice as heavy, much faster, and much stronger.  As with the grizzly bear, the swordsman can win with a "lucky strike", but the chances are small against an opponent as agile & well-armed as a tiger.  Bengal tiger wins.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.