Interspecies Conflict/Argentinosaurus Resilence

Question
Hiya I'm back! and I'll just get right down to business.

The following is deadly to anything alive today and most certainly would kill humans.

But what about Argentinosaurus? The largest land mammal that ever lived I presume? You think due to it's shear size it could survive in the following scenarios?

1. Argentinosaurus gets bit by an Inland Taipan.

2. Argentinosaurus gets  bit by a rabies infected raccoon.

3. Argentinosaurus gets swarmed by Africanized Bees.

4. Argentinosaurus gets infected by malaria through a mosquito.

5. Argentinosaurus vs. a stampeding herd of elephants 10-15 of them.

6. Argentinosaurus gets infected with the bubonic plague.

7. Argentinosaurus steps on a land mine.

8. Argentinosaurus in the point blank blast radius of a grenade.

So how do you think Argentinosaurus would fare in any of the above situations. Would it's shear size play a role in it's survival? Could these instances cripple or give lasting injuries.

It's good to be back!

Answer
Hello Max.  Good to have you back.

1. Argentinosaurus gets bit by an Inland Taipan: Argentinosaurus may have weighed between 80-100 tons, placing it among the top of the list regarding large dinosaurs.  The Inland taipan is generally considered to be the most venomous of all snakes.  Considering a king cobra can kill an adult elephant with its bite, an Inland taipan's bite will probably affect the Argentinosaurus to some degree.  The king cobra has a greater venom yield than the Indian taipan's (2nd to only the gaboon viper), but its venom isn't as potent drop-for-drop.  The elephant is a mammal, and mammals are likely affected differently (but probably more adversely) than reptiles.  With these factors in mind, I believe the bite of the Inland taipan will possibly make the dinosaur feel a bit ill, but will not have near enough potency to kill it.

2. Argentinosaurus gets bitten by a rabies-infected raccoon: Rabies is a viral disease that affects warm-blooded animals, and by all accounts I've come across, does not affect reptiles.  Based on this, the Argentinosaurus would suffer no ill effects from the rabid raccoon.

3. Argentinosaurus gets swarmed by Africanized bees: Africanized bees (or "killer bees") are certainly more aggressive than the typical honey bee, but their venom is no more potent.  The skin of a reptile can be tougher than the skin of a mammal (depending on what is compared), and it's possible the Africanized bees won't be able to penetrate the skin of Argentinosaurus.  There are likely to be some vulnerable spots (perhaps around the dinosaur's head), but the bees might not know to target a specific area.  Any bee that stings will die soon afterwards (its sting is pulled out of its body along with other body parts).  It would take a truly massive swarm of bees to deliver enough venom to actually kill an Argentinosaurus, and that's only if the stings can penetrate.  The Argentinosaurus will surely be annoyed by the attacking bees, however, and may seek refuge in a body of water.

4. Argentinosaurus gets infected by malaria through a mosquito: There is some debate on whether or not dinosaurs were warm-blooded or cold-blooded, and that might make a difference in the mosquito's actions.  It won't likely bite a cold-blooded animal.  Having said that, I'm not certain if malaria would affect an Argentinosaurus.  Even if it did, considering the many humans that survive infection, I doubt there would be much concern for an animal possibly weighing as much a 1000 humans.  I'm guessing the Argentinosaurus will be OK.

5. Argentinosaurus vs a stampeding herd of elephants (10-15 of them): Argentinosaurus probably weighed as much as 13-16 elephants.  A stampeding herd of elephants would not be capable of injuring the Argentinosaurus to any measurable degree (it would be like an elephant dealing with a herd of stampeding zebra), but may make the dinosaur move to a safe location (it might believe a predator was causing the elephants to stampede and that a threat may be imminent).  Argentinosaurus might be "spooked" by the sudden arrival of the elephants, but it won't be worried about the elephants themselves.

6. Argentinosaurus gets infected with the bubonic plague: Not sure about this one.  The bubonic plague apparently killed humans and animals, but I found nothing stating if all animals infected were killed or if they were merely hosts (waiting to pass it on to another).  It may not have affected all animals the same way it affected humans, and may not have affected reptiles at all.  If the Argentinosaurus was capable of being affected the same way a human was affected, then death would certainly occur, but at a much slower rate.  It's my guess that Argentinosaurus would be safe from the bubonic plague.

7. Argentinosaurus steps on a land mine: Depends on the power of the land mine.  Some land mines are made to disable/destroy armmored tanks, so it's likely that a blast from one of the more powerful ones would render an Argentinosaurus unable to function/survive.  There's a sad story of an elephant that lost her front leg stepping on a land mine (but survived and was fitted with a prosthetic leg), and this land mine may have been designed to take out a soldier and not a tank.  There are some land mines than would have little effect on a huge Argentinosaurus, and there are some that would easily dispatch it.

8. Argentinosaurus in the point blank blast radius of a grenade: A typical grenade probably won't have the explosive power to seriously injure an Argentinosaurus by force alone, but one that expels shrapnel can certainly cause injuries to the dinosaur.  However, to kill it, a piece of shrapnel will likely need to penetrate a vunerable area and cut into a major vein or artery to induce rapid blood loss.  The overall damage caused by a single grenade will probably be too minor to seriously injure a dinosaur as large as Argentinosaurus, but there are many variables to consider (position of the dinosaur at time of explosion, strength of the grenade, type of grenade used, areas hit by shrapnel, etc.).  It's a lot like asking if someone will die if they fall out of a tree.  The Argentinosaurus will probably be able to survive without major hindrances on most occasions.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

BK