Interspecies Conflict/whale vs anaconda

Question
Hello again BK,If a beluga whale and a large green anaconda did battle who would win?

thanks

Answer
Hello Gian.

beluga whale vs green anaconda: Beluga whales can reach lengths of over 5 meters and weigh about 1500kg, which is about 8 times as heavy as a large green anaconda.  Beluga whales have moderately-sized jaws compared to their large bodies, but have 16-22 teeth in their upper jaws and 16-18 teeth in their lower jaws (an average of 34 teeth total).  These teeth are shaped somewhat like pegs, and are designed to grab, tear, and crush (typical prey items include fish, mollusks, and crustaceans).  Green anacondas are the world's heaviest snakes, and are excellent ambush predators.  At home in the water, these snakes have a lot of success tackling terrestrial animals that enter its domain, and are capable of asphyxiating (suffocating) animals close to twice their size with their powerful coils.  However, against a large aquatic animal, an anaconda won't have as much success.  A beluga whale is a good swimmer, and an anaconda will find it difficult to wrap its coils around a specific spot on the mammal because of this.  The whale's blubber-packed body will be approximately 3 1/2 meters around at the wider parts (which is over half of the anaconda's total length), and even the neck will have a girth of close to 2 meters.  The anaconda won't have the size or power to subdue the beluga whale by wrapping around it, and won't have any real way of being a threat to an animal this large.  The beluga whale may not consider the anaconda as something to attack, but its bite might do moderate damage if it decided to proceed with an assault.  Even though these 2 would likely coexist peacefully (climate nonwithstanding), the whale has much better means to injure the anaconda than the other way around in any confrontation.  Beluga whale wins.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

BK