Interspecies Conflict/10 vs 1

Hello I used to ask questions on this site frequently a few years back and your extensive knowledge put into your answers have recently piqued my interest.

anyways the following matchups contain battles of 10 vs. 1 now assume all of the 10 are fixated on their one opponent and will not turn on one another.

1. 10 bottle nosed dolphins vs. 1 orca whale

2. 10 spotted hyenas vs. 1 hyaenodon

3. 10 chimpanzees vs. 1 silverback gorilla

4. 10 great white sharks vs. 1 megalodon

5. 10 coyotes vs. 1 grey wolf

6. 10 saltwater crocodiles vs. 1 deinosuchus

7. 10 wild boars vs. 1 entelodont

8. 10 hippos vs. 1 elephant

9. 10 wildebeests vs. 1 cape buffalo

10. 10 indricotheriums vs. 1 argentinonsaurus

take your time answering no need to rush anyway I eagerly await your response.

Hello Max.

10 bottlenose dolphins vs 1 orca whale: The orca, or killer whale, can weigh more than 16 bottlenose dolphins.  An orca is the most powerful animal in the sea (after a bull sperm whale), and has jaws armed with teeth (upper & lower).  Orcas & dolphins are intelligent mammals, and are very maneuverable swimmers.  Dolphins fight by delivering strong headbutts, biting, & occasionally striking with their tails.  Against the larger orca, the 10 dolphins will likely use their slightly better mobility (due to smaller size) to avoid the killer whale's jaws & deliver headbutts to it over & over until it is driven away.  They won't have the size or appropriate weaponry to dispatch the orca without a lot of time passing by, but should have the teamwork to dominate the encounter enough to repel the larger animal.  10 bottlenose dolphins win.

10 spotted hyenas vs 1 Hyaenodon: Hyaenodon gigas, at upper weight estimates, may have weighed as much as 7 spotted hyenas.  Hyaenodons were doglike mammals with specialized, powerful jaws (front teeth could stab into prey; molars in their cheeks could shear; bite force was adequate for crushing bones).  Hyaenodon was likely faster than a spotted hyena (which are somewhat ungainly), but would not have been able to dispatch 10 of them attacking at once.  Hyenas are great at using teamwork to overcome a common opponent, and would be capable of defeating Hyaenodon before losing too many members of their clan.  10 spotted hyenas win.

10 chimpanzees vs 1 silverback gorilla: A silverback gorilla can weigh as much as 3 1/2 chimpanzees.  Both primates have lots of strength & dangerous bites.  Chimpanzees often gang up on common adversaries, and would likely do the same to the gorilla if motivated to attack it for whatever reason.  A silverback gorilla can be an intimidating sight, and will have a chance to deter the chimps from advancing simply by using an aggressive display.  If the chimpanzees attack at once with the intent of overcoming the larger ape, they will likely succeed.  The gorilla will injure a few of them, but will eventually succumb to the multiple bites it will receive.  10 chimpanzees win.

10 great white sharks vs 1 Megalodon: Megalodon likely weighed as much as 20 great white sharks and was probably about 2 1/2 times as long.  Megalodon's huge bite (filled with razor-sharp teeth) would have dispatched a single great white shark with one chomp.  If the great white sharks attacked like a school of piranha (or behaved as some groups of sharks do in a feeding frenzy), they would likely succeed in causing enough trauma to Megalodon to overcome the huge creature.  However, sharks usually ambush victims by approaching stealthily from underneath, delivering a bite, and retreating to await the demise of the wounded target.  If the shark adopt this approach with Megalodon, each bite won't be enough to keep the larger animal from picking several of them off with its huge set of jaws.  The sharks, being smaller & less robust, will have greater maneuverability than Megalodon, but how they react to this giant opponent will be key as to whether or not they succeed.  I don't have the confidence the sharks will attack in the way they need to to finish this battle, and that they will leave the door open for Megalodon to pick them off one-by-one.  The fact that Megalodon is so much bigger & has a method of killing instantly gives it the edge in this contest.  The sharks are certainly capable of winning; I just don't see them doing what they need to do to ensure a victory.  Edge to Megalodon.

10 coyotes vs 1 grey wolf: A coyote weighs about 30% of a grey wolf's weight.  Coyotes aren't as formidable (pound-for-pound) as a grey wolf, but they have many of the same attributes (endurance, strong jaws, good lateral movement, teamwork).  A grey wolf will easily be able to injure a single coyote, but will have great difficulty concentrating on a single target while getting swarmed (and bitten) by 10 of them.  Eventually the coyotes will wear the grey wolf down, and despite suffering a few injuries in the pack, will overcome the larger canid.  10 coyotes win.

10 saltwater crocodiles vs 1 Deinosuchus: Deinosuchus was twice as long as a saltwater crocodile & weighed about 8 times as much.  The fighting style of these creatures will be the same (chomp & spin/chomp & drown), and it won't serve Deinosuchus well against multiple opponents.  Deinosuchus won't bite one croc, let it go, & move on to the next one.  It will bite one croc & hold on tight.  It won't have the ability to remove the other crocodiles from it (latched onto limbs or any other area they can grip) or move very well once they secure their bites.  Crocodiles will employ the "death roll" technique at times to rip away chunks of flesh from victims, and will often use teamwork to accomplish this (some will hold carcass in place; others will spin to remove the chunks).  This cooperation among the crocodiles will enable them to subdue Deinosuchus on most occasions (assuming they are all intent on attacking & conquering it as a group).  10 saltwater crocodiles win.

10 wild boars vs 1 entelodont: The largest entelodont, Daeodon, weighed 5 times as much as a wild boar.  Again, this matchup depends on what behavior (whether typical or not) is injected into the wild boars.  Daeodon had tusks like the wild boars, but also had a bone-crushing bite.  If the boars attacked as a group & ignored the violent resistance, they could overcome Daeodon with multiple tusk slashes, but would likely lose several members to injury.  A realistic result would be similar to many of the other ones: Daeodon would repel the boars by intimidation soon after the onset of the encounter.  With animals that are accustomed to working as a team against a common foe, the result is much easier to predict.  With ones that aren't, it is conditional upon what behavior is assigned (whether normal or abnormal) to each party.

10 hippos vs 1 elephant: An African elephant can weigh over twice as much as a large hippopotamus. Hippos have huge canine in their lower jaws with sharp edges, and forward-pointing incisors.  These can be used to slice & stab with a bite or a thrust, and it makes the hippopotamus a very dangerous animal.  Hippos are capable of making fast movement briefly on land, but are not well-suited for on-land mobility.  The elephant isn't much faster, but has the strength & weaponry (tusks/body weight) to injure a hippo without much trouble.  The aggressive, territorial tenancies hippos display in & around the water don't carry over onto land to nearly the same degree, and the hippos will likely disperse after receiving resistance from the elephant.  If the hippos are determined to attack the elephant without wavering, they will have a good chance of overcoming it (but will receive injuries).  If the hippos behave atypically & attack at once, the 10 of them will be favored.

10 wildebeests vs 1 cape buffalo: A cape buffalo can weigh over 2 1/2 times as much as a wildebeest.  The outcome this matchup (like most of the others) will depend on whether or not the typical behavior of the wildebeest herd will apply or if they automatically attack en masse without being deterred by resistance.  A cape buffalo is an unpredictable, temperamental bovid with the capability of inflicting serious injury to an adversary with it horns & hooves.  Wildebeests can be capable fighters as well (and are battle-tested), but aren't on the same level (pound-for-pound) as a cape buffalo.  After the cape buffalo exhibits violent resistance to the attacking wildebeests, it will probably be able to intimidate the other antelopes into retreating.  If the wildebeests are determined to attack, they will have the numbers to overcome the cape buffalo, but it wouldn't be in their nature to do so.

10 Indricotheriums vs 1 Argentinonsaurus: Argentinosaurus likely weighed more than 5 Indricotheriums.  Indricotherium (also called Paraceratherium) had no threats once full grown, and likely had no need to rumble unless protecting young or battling another Indricotherium.  It was probably too heavy & cumbersome to kick effectively, but may have bitten if it needed to (like a horse or a camel).  Argentinosaurus was a huge sauropod that had a long, powerful tail that could have been swung to repel attackers (and large theropods shared its habitat).  An Argentinosaurus may have beat a hasty retreat if it saw 10 Indricotheriums advancing upon it, but if it stood its ground, it would have little to fear from the mammals.  Due to the height & bulk of the sauropod, the Indricotheriums wouldn't have a realistic way (or the know-how) to affect it with physical force.  If the Argentinosaurus felt threatened enough to defend itself, its sweeping tail had the potential to injure the smaller animals (and drive them away).  In this odd battle of prehistoric creatures that would otherwise coexist, the closest result that could be considered a victory would be more likely obtained by the huge reptile.  Argentinosaurus wins.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.