Interspecies Conflict/Mostly dog fights

Question
Hey BK, thanks as always. Great job.

1: Game-bred APBT vs. game-bred Ovcharka at parity
2: Game-bred pit vs. caiman at parity
3: Game-bred Japanese Tosa vs. game-bred Ovcharka at parity
4: Game-bred Tosa vs. male lion at parity
5: Game-bred Ovcharka vs. clouded leopard at parity
6: Komodo dragon vs. caiman at parity
7: Game-bred Tosa vs. musth elephant at parity
8: Musth elephant vs. Tasmanian devil at parity

Thanks,
Martin

Answer
Hello Martin.

Game-bred APBT vs Game-bred Ovcharka (at parity): There are different levels of "gameness" in dogs (and it's a generational process to create a truly game-bred dog), but we'll assume the levels assigned here are comparable.  American pit bull terriers are the chart-toppers of canine combatants, and despite their typically small size (30kg), they are capable of overcoming much larger adversaries.  The APBT is a compact, muscular dog with tons of energy & athleticism.  The Ovcharka breeds (Caucasian & Central Asian) are formidable as well, having been used as guardians against wolves & other predators.  Ovcharkas have big bites, thick fur, & can be ferocious, but one will need a weight advantage to be favored against an APBT.  I wouldn't favor any canine to defeat an APBT at equal weights.  Game-bred APBT wins.

Game-bred APBT vs caiman (at parity): A game-bred APBT will charge in, regardless of opponent, and attempt to latch on with its jaws.  Caimans have osteoderm-covered bodies that provide protection against many attacks, and have vice-like jaws to grip victims tightly.  The caiman will have limited mobility & poor stamina on land, but can make quick movements in short bursts that might enable it to clamp onto the APBT as it rushes in.  However, due partly to the robustness of the APBT, a bite from the caiman won't necessarily shift things into the reptile's favor.  The chances are much greater that the APBT will latch onto the caiman and wear it down in a short amount of time.  Game-bred APBT wins.

Game-bred Japanese Tosa vs. Game-bred Ovcharka (at parity): Japanese Tosas are powerful dogs with large, box-shaped heads & excellent fighting instincts.  They are the "wrestlers" of the canine world, and can force opponents into compromising positions in order to subdue them.  Ovcharkas are fierce combatants as well, but they aren't quite on the same level (pound-for-pound) as a Japanese Tosa.  The battle will be close initially, but the Tosa's stamina (and skill) will enable it to gain the advantage as the fight progresses.  Game-bred Japanese Tosa wins.

Game-bred Tosa vs. Male lion (at parity): Tosas are among the best canine combatants, and a game-bred one will not hesitate to engage an equally heavy male lion.  However, the Tosa's bravado will be short-lived against an animal as formidable as a lion.  Male lions frequently engage in fierce battles with other male lions, and the Tosa will not be able to offer any offense at the same level of this big cat.  The claws, powerful forelimbs, agility, & finishing bite of the lion will be key assets in this fight.  The Tosa may get some bites in initially, but its maneuverability (which is rated high among canines) won't be great enough to serve it well once the lion's claws sink in.  Male lion wins.

Game-bred Ovcharka vs. Clouded leopard (at parity): Clouded leopards aren't built as powerfully as the big cats are, but they have a set of upper canines (as long as matchsticks) that can be used to quickly dispatch an adversary with a well-placed bite.  The great agility & flexibility of the clouded leopard enables it to easily get into position to utilize these sharp teeth, and that makes this cat almost as dangerous (pound-for-pound) as some of the big cats.  Ovcharkas are bold & fierce, and have thick fur & strong bites.  The Ovcharka will have the advantage in endurance, but will not be as quick or well-armed (bite is only weapon).  The Ovcharka isn't without hope, but is won't be favored at equal weights against a clouded leopard.  Clouded leopard wins.

Komodo dragon vs. caiman (at parity): Komodo dragons are powerful reptiles with claws suited for effective digging, a whip-like tail, & a dangerous bite with sharp teeth used to tear flesh.  It was once believed that the komodo dragon's bite was effective in dispatching victims based solely on the presence of bacteria, but it is now known that the komodo also produces a toxin that induces shock in its prey.  The effect of the komodo's bite won't likely be as profound with a caiman as it would with a mammal, and the osteoderms on much of the caiman's body will make difficult (but not impossible) for the komodo to tear into.  The caiman's strong bite is designed to hold, but can tear if twisting follows contact.  Komodo dragons have tough hide themselves (tiny osteoderms help form an armor-like skin), but the caiman's bite will have a better chance to injure the giant lizard (with a head or limb bite) than the other way around.  Caiman wins.

Game-bred Tosa vs. Musth elephant (at parity): This is a hard fight to assess.  Whenever a smaller animal is scaled to match a much larger animal (and assuming the attributes like speed & mobility remain the same in proportion with each animal's size), the smaller one gains a considerable advantage in speed & mobility.  I don't always give this factor the consideration it deserves in parity matchups, but when the regular sizes are vastly different, it simply can't be omitted.  Assuming a Tosa can run about 30mph, once it is scaled to match the elephant, it will be able to run about 120mph from the elephant's perspective.  The Tosa will be able to run circles around the elephant (and land multiple bites if it employed that type of attack), but will likely try to overpower it with one biting attack.  The elephant will be much slower, but will be much stronger.  The elephant will have enough mobility to battle back, but won't have as much precision as it normally would.  However, a powerful thrust of the elephant's tusks will cause considerable damage with the right strike, and this is likely to happen before the Tosa makes too much headway (considering the elephant is in musth).  Both have the assets to win, but because the Tosa's style of attack won't include a priority on being evasive, it's mobility & speed won't quite trump the strength & weaponry of the elephant.  It's not easy to visualize, but I'm leaning a bit more toward the elephant on this one.

Musth elephant vs. Tasmanian devil (at parity): This one is even more difficult to assess than the Tosa vs elephant matchup because an elephant can weigh around 500 times more than a Tasmanian devil.  The scaling would be extreme, and the advantages of the smaller animal (speed & mobility) would be even more pronounced.  Tasmanian devils have extremely strong bites, and can be rather aggressive.  At equal weights, the Tasmanian devil's head will be just about as large as the elephant's, and its bite will be able to inflict serious injury.  The much faster marsupial will be able to avoid most of the elephant's offense, and should accumulate enough bites on it to eventually overcome it.  The stronger elephant has a chance, but I can't see it being favored here.  Edge to Tasmanian devil.

Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

BK