Interspecies Conflict/rumbles in the jungle

QUESTION: hey bk happy valentines day.

just wondering how would a silverback gigantopithicus blacki fair against the following creatures

reticulated python
mugger crocodile

also what would be the upper limit for carnivorous dinosaurs that a large male gigantopithicus could defeat much like how its larger movie counterpart king kong would?

ANSWER: Hello Daren.  Happy Valentines Day to you as well.

Gigantopithecus blacki vs Ceratosaurus: Gigantopithecus was probably built like a gorilla, but its closest living relative is believed to be the orangutan (so it may not have qualified as a "silverback").  This massive ape was heavier than 2 1/2 gorillas, and likely had similar attributes in regards to combat (long, powerful arms; formidable bite).  Most of what is known about Gigantopithecus comes from teeth & jaw bones (no complete skeleton has been found).  Ceratosaurus was a fearsome theropod with large jaws & fang-like teeth.  It weighed almost a ton, which would make it almost 60% heavier than Gigantopithecus.  Because Ceratosaurus was a practiced hunter, it would have a better idea of how to overcome Gigantopithecus than the other way around.  Gigantopithecus, despite its great strength, wouldn't have possessed the ability to inflict any meaningful damage to Ceratosaurus before getting chomped on by the theropod's huge jaws.  Ceratosaurus wins.

Gigantopithecus blacki vs Reticulated python: Gigantopithecus would have weighed almost 4 times as much as the reticulated python.  Pythons are great ambush hunters, but like other constrictors, aren't the best face-to-face combatants on land.  Gigantopithecus would have the strength to pull the python off of itself if it tried to coil around the ape, and the snake would have great difficulty suffocating an animal of this size.  The python would tire quickly in a struggle on land, and would not have a sound defense if Gigantopithecus was determined to attack it.  A shallow water battle would be easier for the python (apes don't do well at all in water) as its endurance & mobility would be vastly increased, but it still wouldn't be able to effectively subdue the ape due to its size & strength (as long as the ape didn't panic).  Only in deeper water would the python have a chance.  Gigantopithecus wins.

Gigantopithecus blacki vs Mugger crocodile: Gigantopithecus weighed about 50% more than a big mugger crocodile.  A land battle would likely favor Gigantopithecus if it had experience in dealing with crocodilians, but charging in recklessly would be potentially hazardous for it.  Mugger crocodiles have huge, vice-like jaws filled with teeth, and could end the fight with chomp on the head or front limbs of the ape.  Because Gigantopithecus wasn't a predator, it wouldn't have had the strategic ability to attack & finish like, let's say, a big cat would.  Gigantopithecus had the mobility & strength to mount an offense & fatigue the crocodile, but it probably had no clue on how to pull this off.  It may have been able to successfully escape the jaws of the mugger depending on where they clamped on, and the reptile's lack of endurance wouldn't have allowed it to fail more than a couple of times.  In shallow water, the crocodile would have much better mobility & stamina, and would have the "death roll" technique at its disposal.  Apes don't do well in water, but crocodiles excel there.  Slight edge to Gigantopithecus on land; mugger crocodile wins in water.

Gigantopithecus blacki vs Pteranodon: Pteranodon was a flying reptile with a tremendous wingspan (around 7 meters) and a light build (probably weighed no more than 20kg).  It was likely a glider, and ate fish.  Pteranodon wouldn't have had any real success injuring Gigantopithecus, and the giant ape would have been able to easily overpower it once it came within arm's reach.  Gigantopithecus wins.

Q: What would be the upper limit for carnivorous dinosaurs that a large male Gigantopithecus could defeat much like how its larger movie counterpart King Kong would?
A: I believe Gigantopithecus would have needed a weight advantage over a carnivorous dinosaur to be favored against it due to the fact it wouldn't be able to form a strategy of attack close to the same level as the theropod.  The huge jaws of most carnivorous dinosaurs close to Gigantopithecus' weight would have inflicted serious injuries to the ape with little effort.  Gigantopithecus may have been able to use its strength to topple the theropod over, but lack of finishing ability would have hampered its efforts to obtain victory.  King Kong, in the movies, had a better plan of attack against its opponents than Gigantopithecus would have.  A few dinosaurs that may have been a good match for Gigantopithecus include Cryolophosaurus, Dilophosaurus, Neovenator, & Alioramus.  Ceratosaurus, Carnotaurus, & Utahraptor would have been too large for Gigantopithecus.

Best regards.

QUESTION: alright that all sounds logical

how bout trying these fights on for size

male Kodiak brown bear vs male polar bear

hogzilla sized wild boar vs male black bear

Burmese python vs Florida panther

also Ive read that in the next godzilla movie godzilla will have a fighting style that combines komodo dragon and bear battle styles, my question is what would that be like? i know both species grapple by holding onto their opponent but is there anything else that would be included?

ANSWER: Hello again Daren.

Male Kodiak brown bear vs Male polar bear: These bears will weigh about the same.  The polar bear is sleeker (built for swimming), but probably is stronger pound-for-pound.  The Kodiak bear has a stockier build, and probably is stronger than the polar bear in the shoulder/neck region (and can generate stronger paw swipes).  The polar bear might have the edge in positioning if the 2 began wrestling around, but the paw swipe war would likely favor the Kodiak bear (which has long claws).  Brown bears are typically more confrontational & aggressive than polar bears, and a realistic encounter would probably end up with the Kodiak bear driving the polar bear away.  In an actual fight to the end, I would slightly favor the more robust Kodiak bear.

Hogzilla-sized wild boar vs Male black bear: Hogzilla weighed almost twice as much as a typical full-size wild boar, and outweighed a male black bear by almost 40%.  Wild boars have tough hides & sharp tusks, and this makes them very dangerous.  Black bears have great strength & endurance, and the use of their forelimbs comes in handy in conflicts when they need to control positioning (to help deliver bites) or swipe with their sharp claws.  The wild boar will have greater lateral movement than the black bear (which will make it hard for the bear to avoid getting slashed), and its great size will make it difficult for the bear to hold the pig in place with its paws.  Controlling the head of the boar will be paramount for the bear in this battle, and it will not be able to consistently do this with a suid this big.  A black bear would be a good match for a boar at equal weights, but this Hogzilla-sized one will be too much to handle on most occasions.  Wild boar wins.

Burmese python vs Florida panther: The Burmese python will weigh about 25% more than the Florida panther (which is smaller than cougars from other parts of the Americas).  Burmese pythons, like other constrictors, are great ambush hunters.  However, they aren't great fighters on land when faced with large, mobile opponents.  Pythons have limited mobility & stamina on land, and the quick & agile panther can exploit this.  The python will try to latch onto the panther with a quick strike, and use this grip as an anchoring point to pull its coils toward the cat.  The panther will be quick enough to avoid this on most occasions, and can violently struggle free if the backward-pointing teeth of the python grab onto it.  The jaws & claws of the Florida panther can cause damage to the python, and the cat will dominate once the snake fatigues.  The python has the ability to overcome the panther if everything falls into place for it, but the chances are slim on dry ground.  In shallow water, the Burmese python will have greater ease of movement & much better stamina, and will be able to provide much better competition for the Florida panther.  Panthers won't go into water unless they have to, and the python will be right at home.  The panther will still have the edge as long as the water depth isn't great enough to impede its movement, but 1/2 meter of water will likely be enough to shift the advantage to the python.  Florida panther wins on land; Burmese python has the edge in water.   

Q: I've read that in the next Godzilla movie Godzilla will have a fighting style that combines komodo dragon and bear battle styles; my question is what would that be like?  I know both species grapple by holding onto their opponent but is there anything else that would be included?
A: Monitor lizards frequently use their tails to defend themselves, and although Komodo dragons don't face other species in face-to-face battles often (they mostly deal with prey items), they would employ the same tactic if the situation called for it.  Godzilla might swing his tail here & there, but I don't see that as a primary form of attack for him.  The Komodo's bite would probably not apply because Godzilla won't likely desist after landing a bite (like Komodos frequently do with prey items) and would more readily use his atomic breath.  Bears fight with paw swipes & bites (as well as grappling), so it's possible Godzilla may use his forelimbs offensively and employ a "bite & shake" like some bears & dogs do (but I just don't see Godzilla doing this).  The chances are greater that the movie makers intend to have Godzilla just grapple more (and copy the bear's/Komodo's movements & style in doing this), but anything beyond that would probably include occasional tail-swinging & forelimb swiping.  That would be my guess.

Best regards.

QUESTION: as always thank you for your input

but now riddle me this

i read somewhere that in one of the original Jurassic park books that some of the dinosaurs on isla sorna made it to the mainland and made populations from Costa Rica to Ecuador.

so my question for that is which of the following species could make the long swim to the coast or get to the coast by floating debris?

i would have added spino but there was only one on the island

and to add to my first question if any of the species did survive the trip and populate what would be the ecological damage to the current animals of central America and beyond?

Hello Daren.

Q: Which of the following species (of dinosaurs) could make the long swim to the coast (from the fictional island of Isla Sorna to the Central American coast) or get to the coast by floating debris?
A: The exact swimming abilities of the terrestrial dinosaurs isn't accurately known.  Some probably had a certain degree of ability in the water, but it's highly unlikely that any of the ones listed would have been able to swim the many miles necessary to reach the mentioned destination.  Many of the predators listed (like Tyrannosuarus, Albertosaurus, & Allosaurus) didn't pursue prey into water, and likely didn't have the build to swim effectively if they did.  Some heavy animals of today can swim even though it doesn't seem like they would be able to (like rhinoceroses), but the dinosaurs listed probably didn't have enough swimming skill to go very far if at all.  Hanging onto debris for a long distance doesn't seem plausible either.  Most prehistoric animals crossed from land mass to land mass only after land (or ice) was formed to connect them, and getting from A to B any other way doesn't seem probable.

Q: If any of the species did survive the trip and populate, what would be the ecological damage to the current animals of Central America and beyond?
A: The damage to the current ecosystems would be quite extensive.  Animals that have been in a particular ecosystem for many generations have evolved to thrive there, and any sudden introduction of new animal species would wreck the established balance.  Even today there are many incidents of invasive species that have thrown ecosystems out of whack.  The introduction of pythons to the Everglades has negatively effected the wildlife already established there (as many of these animal species never needed to evolve to survive the introduction of large constrictors & can't instantaneously adapt to the invasion), so one can imagine the effect an 8-ton predatory dinosaur like Tyrannosaurus rex would have on the fauna of Central America.

Here is a brief summary on how some of these dinosaurs might effect the Western Hemisphere shortly after arriving there:

Tyrannosaurus/Ceratosaurus/Acrocanthosaurus/Albertosaurus/Carcharodontosaurus: These large predatory theropods would have likely attacked any & all animals of North, South, & Central America within their habitats (including tapirs, domestic & wild cattle, anteaters, peccaries, bears, alligators, caimans, cervids, etc.) and would eventually exhaust food sources for the incumbent predators (bears, jaguars, pumas, wolves, etc).

Utahraptor: Assuming they hunted in packs, these swift, dangerous predators would devour anything that didn't climb, swim, or hide.  Animals that had evolved to be relatively safe in their habitats would now be in peril at every turn (especially small, ground-dwelling animals).

Stegosaurus/Brachiosaurus/Camarasaurus/Styracosaurus/Torosaurus: These and other giant herbivores would eat great quantities of vegetation, pushing the incumbent ones out of their feeding areas to find food.  Assuming that in each of these scenarios there is an ample amount of each dinosaur species inserted into each area, the livelihoods of the current predators & herbivores would be seriously threatened.

Its not only that most of the dinosaurs are so much bigger (because the small ones can have grave effects as well to an ecosystem), but that what is already established can't cope with a drastic change.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.