Interspecies Conflict/None

Question
Hello BK, I have some good face offs for you. Let's go!

1. Lion vs Marsupial Lion

2. Kangal vs Afghan Koochie

3. Aseel/Shamo gamefowl vs Bald Eagle

4. Golden Jackal vs Fennec Fox

5. Red Fox vs Caracal

6. Caracal vs African Golden Cat

7. Hippopotamus vs Triceratops

8. Leopard seal vs American Black bear

9. Anaconda vs Reticulated Python

10. Main event: Wild boar vs Giant anteater

Thanks

Answer
Hello Jem.

Lion vs Marsupial Lion: An African lion will weigh at least 40% more than the marsupial lion.  Marsupial lions were stocky & powerful, and had extremely formidable jaws (high bite force) & retractable claws.  It was capable of subduing prey items much larger than itself.  Lions are skilled combatants (males fight each other often over territory & females), and are also well-armed with sharp teeth & claws.  The marsupial lion is a very tough customer for anything in its weight range (and in many cases, above its weight range), and has the strength & bite to prevail in this matchup.  The larger lion will probably have an advantage in agility (being less robust), and should have enough size to control a good deal of the fight's positioning.  The lion will need to use its forelimbs to secure a good position in order to apply a throat bite, but will have problems if it gets bit before it can achieve this.  A "swipe war" will favor the larger, somewhat faster lion, but the application of bites will likely determine the outcome of this battle.  Because of its size advantage & fighting experience, the lion is favored here.  Edge to lion.

Kangal vs Afghan Koochie: These dogs are close in weight, but the Afghan Koochie will have a small edge here.  The Kangal is a heavy, powerful dog with a large head and a blunt muzzle.  This courageous dog was once used as a flock guardian, and has a strong bite force.  Afghan Koochies, like the Kangal, are very capable livestock guardians that won't back down.  Afghan Koochies & Kangals have similar builds, but the Koochie is typically furrier.  These dogs would be about even at equal weights, and the Kangal is a bit lighter.  Edge to Afghan Koochie.

Aseel/Shamo gamefowl vs Bald Eagle: The gamefowl can weigh almost as much as the bald eagle, but it will need some concessions to compete with it.  The bald eagle will attack from the air, and even if the gamefowl sees it coming, it won't have a defense against the raptor's powerful talons.  If the bald eagle approached by walking toward the gamefowl on the ground, the gamefowl would have a good chance to gain the upper hand with its dangerous kicks.  However, the eagle won't attack that way.  If the bald eagle wants to have a gamefowl lunch, it will be easy to obtain.  Bald eagle wins.

Golden Jackal vs Fennec Fox: The golden jackal can weigh 10 times as much as a fennec fox.  The fennec fox is the smallest fox, and it's food intake includes fruit, termites, & lizards.  It's simply not equipped to deal with a much larger jackal.  The fennec fox would have about as much of a chance with the golden jackal as a Dachshund would have against a Doberman.  The golden jackal would attack with its jaws & quickly finish the battle.  Golden jackal wins.  

Red Fox vs Caracal: A caracal can weigh close to double a red fox's weight.  In this particular battle, the caracal has almost every advantage.  The felid's quickness, agility, weaponry (jaws, claws, finishing technique), & size will allow it to overpower the red fox.  The fox is quite nimble, has good endurance, & has a decent bite of its own, but it will be tackled, rendered immobile, & finished with a throat bite if faced with a determined caracal.  Even if the caracal decides to swipe with its claws, the red fox will have no answer for it.  The red fox can be a fierce fighter, but it will need a decent weight advantage to consistently compete with a caracal.  Caracal wins.

Caracal vs African Golden Cat: These cats have similar builds (and attributes), but the caracal is usually larger (by about 20%).  The prey items each cat tackles are almost the same (rodents, hyraxes, small antelopes, birds, etc.).  The caracal's amazing leaping ability likely exceeds the African golden cat's, and that may be an indicator of better agility & athleticism (but, there again, these attributes are very close).  A parity fight would be close, but at these weights the caracal wins.  

Hippopotamus vs Triceratops: A Triceratops weighed well over twice as much as a big hippopotamus.  The Triceratops was armed with 2 long, sharp brow horns that could be driven into an adversary & cause tremendous damage.  The hippo's big bite is no joke, but it would have little chance to wield it against a much larger, better-armed foe.  The mobility of the hippo is limited on land (but it can make quick movements for short durations), and it won't be able to avoid the charges of the Triceratops.  Even smaller ceratopsians (like Monoclonius & Styracosaurus) would have been more than a match for a hippopotamus.  A hippo in shallow water is a more territorial, aggressive, & capable combatant, but it would still get overwhelmed by a Triceratops.  Triceratops wins.   

Leopard seal vs American Black bear: The leopard seal will weigh at least 50% more than the black bear.  Black bears aren't as formidable (pound-for-pound) as brown bears, but they still have great strength, endurance, durability, & weaponry (jaws, claws, grabbing forelimbs).  A leopard seal has poor mobility on land, and will have a hard time with offense & defense against an attacking bear.  The leopard seal's bite is certainly effective, but it can't get into great position to use it without the benefit of water.  Even in shallow water the black bear will have enough assets to be favored, but this is contingent on it being able to touch the bottom & navigate well (which would not be deep enough for the leopard seal to have ample mobility).  Once the water gets deep enough for the leopard seal to swim freely, it will have a generous edge.  The bear won't be able to move quickly or swipe effectively, and the leopard seal's jaws will find their mark with greater ease.  Black bear has edge on land; water battle depends on depth (but will mostly favor the leopard seal).

Anaconda vs Reticulated Python: The python will be longer than the anaconda, but will weigh much less.  The reticulated python will likely have the edge in aggression, agility, & quickness, but those assets won't serve it well once the snakes make contact.  The more powerful anaconda will probably be able to coil & force its position with greater ease than the python will, and should be able to bully the lighter snake more times than not.  It will be difficult for either snake to constrict the other (but not impossible), so it will likely play out with the anaconda dominating long enough to drive the python away.  I would favor the reticulated python at equal weights, but not at usual weights.  Edge to anaconda.

Main event: Wild boar vs Giant anteater: The wild boar will weigh over 4 times as much as the giant anteater.  Giant anteaters have long, sharp claws on their front limbs that serve as dangerous weapons to deter attackers.  However, it will not be as mobile as the wild boar, and the tusks of the suid can seriously injure the smaller mammal.  Wild boars have tough hides that offer decent protection from many attacks, and the anteater's claws won't cause enough damage initially to prevent the pig from charging into it.  The giant anteater would have a good chance if the weights were close, but it's giving up too much size here.  Wild boar wins.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

BK