Interspecies Conflict/more matchups

Finally got a hold of you after weeks of searching for a good time period I'll just get straight to the point on this one.

1 Komodo Dragon vs. Freshwater Croc
2 American Alligator vs. Black Caiman
3 Tarbosaurus vs. Allosaurus
4 Nanotyrannus vs. Utahraptor
5 Megatherium vs. Iguanadon
6 Bulldog Raspy Cricket vs. Mantis Shrimp
7 Robber Fly vs. Tarantula Hawk
8 Japanese Giant Hornet vs. Tiger Beetle
7 Eurypterid vs. Giant Spider Crab
8 Mandrill vs. Chimpanzee
9 Giant Huntsman Spider vs. Brazilian Wandering Spider
10 Mapusaurus vs. Ceratosaurus
11 Megaraptor vs. Megalosaurus
12 Bullet Ant vs. Paper Wasp
13 Argentavis vs. Haast Eagle
14 Deinonychus vs. Terror Bird
15 Elasmotherium vs. Styracosaurus
16 Piranha Fish vs. Stonefish
17 Barracuda vs. Morey Eel
18 Stonefish vs. Mantis Shrimp
19 Stonefish vs. Cone Snail
20 Cone Snail vs. Mantis Shrimp
21 Ankylosaurus vs. Megatherium
22 Pachycephalosaurus vs. Megatherium
23 Zebra vs. Gorilla
24 Giant Eland vs. Gorilla
25 Gorilla vs. Tapir

I know that seems like a lot so take your time looking forward to your Answer

Hello Max.

1 Komodo Dragon vs Freshwater Croc: These reptiles can be similar in weight. Komodo dragons are powerful reptiles with claws suited for effective digging, a whip-like tail, & a dangerous bite with sharp teeth used to tear flesh.  It was once believed that the Komodo dragon's bite was effective in dispatching victims based solely on the presence of bacteria, but it is now known that the komodo also produces a toxin that induces shock in its prey.  The effect of the komodo's bite won't likely be as profound with a crocodilian as it would with a mammal, and the osteoderms on much of the crocodile's body will make difficult (but not impossible) for the komodo to tear into.  The croc's strong bite is designed to hold, but can tear if twisting follows contact.  Komodo dragons have tough hide themselves (tiny osteoderms help form an armor-like skin), but the croc's bite will have a better chance to injure the giant lizard (with a head or limb bite) than the other way around.  Freshwater crocodile wins.

2 American Alligator vs Black Caiman: These animals are similar in weight.  Both have armored hides, strong bite forces, & can tackle large prey items.  These reptiles have subtle differences, but nothing major enough to assign one to "better" status at equal weights.  Basically, the heavier animal will have the edge.

3 Tarbosaurus vs Allosaurus: The range of Allosaurus' size varies somewhat, but a full-grown one was probably between 2 and 2.5 tons; perhaps peaking at 3.  Tarbosaurus was a lot heavier, however, and had similar weaponry (huge jaws).  Tarbosaurus wins.

4 Nanotyrannus vs Utahraptor: Nanotyrannus is believed by some to be a juvenile Tyrannosaurus, but if was indeed a separate species, it likely weighed less than a ton (almost twice as much as Utahraptor).  Utahraptor had a very impressive array of weaponry (jaws & teeth/sickle-like claws) and could have caused quick, slashing injuries to opponents with powerful kicks.  However, a single bite from Nanotyrannus' larger jaws would have seriously injured Utahraptor.  Edge to Nanotyrannus.   

5 Megatherium vs Iguanadon: These animals were likely close in weight.  Megatherium, when standing upright, could have looked into a 2nd story window (and stood about 1/3rd taller than Iguanadon). It had huge claws that could serve as weapons similar to the front claws of a grizzly bear or a giant anteater.  The Megatherium's skin was reinforced with small pieces of bone that served as a type of armor.  Iguanadon had spikes on its thumbs that may have been used as weapons, but didn't have an armored hide to protect it from Megatherium's offense.  Megatherium wins.

6 Bulldog Raspy Cricket vs Mantis Shrimp: Both of these animals have interesting weapons, but the mantis shrimp has a good size advantage.  With one dwelling on land & one dwelling in the water, a fair matchup would be problematic.  The larger mantis shrimp seems to have the more formidable weaponry (large claw to smash/appendages made to impale) & is more well-protected (tough exoskeleton).  Not sure how the rasping sound made by the cricket would effect the shrimp (assuming it could somehow hear it), but I doubt it's enough to overcome the assets of the crustacean.  I'd go with the mantis shrimp.

7 Robber Fly vs Tarantula Hawk: The tarantula hawk is larger, but the robber fly is a more maneuverable flier.  The robber fly injects its toxic saliva into its victims to immobilize them, and the tarantula hawk uses its powerful stinger to do the same.  Not sure about this one, but maneuverability can be a huge advantage in the air.  The tarantula hawk might have the flexibility & reach to sting the robber fly once it landed on the wasp, but probably won't be able to do so every time.  I'd probably go with the robber fly.

8 Japanese Giant Hornet vs Tiger Beetle: Tiger beetles are very fast, fierce predators, but Japanese giant hornets have tough exoskeletons, powerful stings, & shearing mandibles.  The hornet would have an advantage attacking from the air, and should prevail here.  Japanese giant hornet wins.

7 Eurypterid vs Giant Spider Crab: The largest eurypterids were many times heavier than the giant spider crab.  Both of these animals have claws & hard exoskeletons, but the larger eurypterids would have had a better chance at overpowering the crab than the other way around.  Eurypterid wins.

8 Mandrill vs Chimpanzee: The chimpanzee will weigh 30% more than the mandrill.  These animals have similar mobility, and both can use their hands to grab/manipulate.  The chimpanzee is stronger, but the mandrill has a more dangerous bite.  Chimpanzees aren't used to taking on similar-sized animals solo, and have poor "finishing" ability.  Mandrills have sharp upper canines that can cause grievous injuries to the chimp.  Close fight, but edge to mandrill.

9 Giant Huntsman Spider vs Brazilian Wandering Spider: Both spiders can attain body lengths of close to 2".  The giant huntsman spider has much longer legs (and has better lateral movement), but they are thinner than the legs of the Brazilian wandering spider.  The Brazilian wandering spider's venom is as toxic as any spider's.  Both of these spiders are capable of dispatching one another, and a battle could probably go either way, but I'd give the slight edge to the stockier Brazilian wandering spider.

10 Mapusaurus vs Ceratosaurus: Mapusaurus was much larger than Ceratosaurus.  Both are theropods with large jaws & sharp teeth, but size will make a difference here.  Mapusaurus wins.

11 Megaraptor vs Megalosaurus: Megaraptor was somewhat heavier than Megalosaurus, and had long claws on its forelimbs that could be used to slash at adversaries.  Both theropods had formidable jaws, but the larger size & more diversified weaponry of Megaraptor would give it the edge in a battle.  Megaraptor wins.

12 Bullet Ant vs Paper Wasp: The bullet ant has a very powerful (and painful) sting, and will often sting & bite at the same time.  The paper wasp's sting isn't as potent, but it can still get the job done.  The ability to fly will be huge for the wasp, and it should be able to target the ant before it can counter-attack.  Paper wasp wins.

13 Argentavis vs Haast Eagle: Argentavis weighed over 5 times as much as a Haast's eagle.  Argentavis is the largest flying bird ever discovered, and it was likely a scavenger (like vultures of today).  Its hooked beak was prefect for ripping into a carcass.  Argentavis probably dominated most of the carcass sites it came across because of its sheer size.  Haast's eagle was 2/3rd heavier than the largest eagles of today, and commonly hunted the giant moa (a large terrestrial bird that weighed over 12 times as much as the eagle itself and looked like a giant, stocky version of an emu).  An air battle would definitely favor the Haast's eagle due to superior maneuverability & more powerful talons, but the advantage would switch to Argentavis once the 2 birds landed on the ground.  Where the fight takes place is a condition to be considered, but the overall advantage goes to the actively predatory Haast's eagle.  

14 Deinonychus vs Terror Bird: Depends on the terror bird.  Kelenken weighed over 3 times as much as Deinonychus, and would likely have won a majority of battles with it.  Titanis & Phorusrhacos (to use 2 examples) weighed about twice as much as Deinonychus, and would have been good competition for it.  Phorusrhacos & Titanis were about the size of an ostrich, and had a deadly beaks to bite & strike with.  Deinonychus had jaws & teeth, and had sickle-shaped claws to kick & slash with.  Assuming the terror birds had the ability to kick, it would give them an added weapon to their arsenal.  The problem faced by Phorusrhacos & Titanis was being able to keep Deinonychus from leaping upon them, sinking in its claws, and biting them with its jaws.  The giant birds wouldn't have an answer for that particular attack, and would need to keep the dinosaur at bay with a combination of a snapping beak & repeated kicking.  If the terror birds did not kick (which doesn't seem likely), they would lose to the Deinonychus more times than not.  If the Phorusrhacos & Titanis did kick (which is likely based on modern upright-walking birds), they would have a decent chance to injure the Deinonychus before it had a chance to leap upon the them.  Even though it's outweighed, its ability to leap onto an opponent is huge for Deinonychus.  With Phorusrhacos & Titanis, it's close to 50/50.

15 Elasmotherium vs Styracosaurus: Elasmotherium weighed over 50% more than Styracosaurus.  Styracosaurus had a relatively short nose horn & an impressive frill lined with spikes to provide some protection from attack.  Elasmotherium had a long, thick horn protruding from its forehead that provided great reach & injury potential.  Close fight at parity, but the size & reach advantage of Elasmotherium gives it the win.

16 Piranha Fish vs Stonefish: Piranha can exceed the weight of a stonefish.  Stonefish have spikes along their backs that can protrude to deliver venom, and are very effective ambush predators.  Piranha have very sharp teeth that can remove flesh easily, and usually hunt in groups.  A stonefish isn't as fast or maneuverable as a piranha, and that might be key.  If the piranha knows to avoid the spines of the stonefish, it can likely attack it with bites without getting impaled.  However, if it attacks without regard to the danger, it may receive a lethal dose of the toxin.  The piranha probably has the edge.

17 Barracuda vs Moray Eel: The barracuda will typically be heavier than the eel (as much as 50%).  The moray eel will have a definite advantage in maneuverability, but the barracuda is capable of short bursts of speed that will give it a chance to strike first.  Both animals have formidable jaws, but the bite of the barracuda will probably cause more damage to the eel's body than the eel's bite will cause to the barracuda.  With a size, bite & durability advantage, the barracuda will likely overcome the moray eel's mobility advantage more times than not.  A parity fight would be close, but the barracuda has the edge at these weights.  Barracuda wins.

18 Stonefish vs Mantis Shrimp: The mantis shrimp can strike powerfully with its claw, but the stonefish is larger and has sharp, venomous spines that can easily puncture the exoskeleton of the crustacean.  The mantis shrimp might be able to fight back even if caught in the stonefish's mouth (which can quickly snap up fish through ambush), but it must avoid being stabbed.  Not sure how this will play out, but most encounters will likely favor the larger stonefish.  Could go either way, though.

19 Stonefish vs Cone Snail: The cone snail is slow-moving, but can fire a harpoon-like weapon to inject toxin into victims.  The stonefish can't use its toxic spines as well offensively (they are primarily used in defense), and the cone snail will likely be able to inject its venom before the stonefish will.  I'd favor the cone snail.

20 Cone Snail vs Mantis Shrimp: The claw of the mantis shrimp can stun or disable the slow-moving cone snail with a good strike (or strikes), but the venomous harpoon-like weapon of the cone snail can kill the shrimp.  This probably depends on which animal gets to use its weapon first.  Probably a 50/50.

21 Ankylosaurus vs Megatherium: These animals can be close in weight.  Ankylosaurus was a heavily-armored dinosaur with a tail club used to swing at attackers.  Megatherium was a giant ground sloth that stood about 4 times as tall as Ankylosaurus' shoulder height.  It also was protected by an armor-like covering under its fur (made of small pieces of bone) that acted somewhat like chain mail armor.  Megatherium also had large claws on its forelimbs that could be swung at opponents.  Ankylosaurus was accustomed to defending itself against large theropods (which were active predators with huge bites), and would have been able to utilize its tail club effectively against the much slower (in comparison to a theropod) Megatherium.  The armored hide of the giant sloth would have helped to deflect the full force of a tail club swing from the Ankylosaurus, but repeated blows would take their toll.  If Megatherium tried to attack the underside of Ankylosaurus with its claws, it would expose its head (now lowered) to a strike from the dinosaur's weapon.  Interesting battle, but the Ankylosaurus was more practiced at dealing with large, formidable adversaries than Megatherium was.  Edge to Ankylosaurus.

22 Pachycephalosaurus vs Megatherium: Megatherium weighed about 8 or 9 times as much as Pachycephalosaurus.  Pachycephalosaurus had a thick dome of bone on its skull close to 10" thick (more than the width of a regulation basketball), and it may have used this to headbutt rivals & enemies (much like the bighorn sheep does today).  Megatherium's great size & tough hide would have made it relatively safe from Pachycephalosaurus' offense, and the giant sloth could have easily injured the dinosaur with a few swipes from its huge forelimbs.  These 2 would have likely coexisted peacefully if they lived at the same time, but a battle between the 2 would certainly favor Megatherium.

23 Zebra vs Gorilla: The zebra will be about double the gorilla's weight.  The zebra's kicks can cause quick injury to the gorilla (and zebra bite as well).  A gorilla will not know how to overcome a zebra.  It doesn't have claws to grip onto it, and doesn't know how to apply its physical attributes (strength, long arms) in regards to taking down a zebra.  An angry zebra will send the gorilla packing.

24 Giant Eland vs Gorilla: The giant eland will weigh over 4 times as much as the gorilla.  Gorillas are physically impressive primates, but they don't have the weaponry or predatory know-how to tackle an eland.  Elands are strong, athletic antelopes (can easily jump a fence as tall as their own shoulder height), and can defend themselves with their long, spiraled horns.  A giant eland would simply ram the gorilla into a retreat.  Giant eland wins.

25 Gorilla vs Tapir: There are several types of tapirs; some are slightly heavier than a gorilla and some are twice its weight.  Gorillas are strong primates with long, powerful arms & decent bites, but they aren't accustomed to battling other types of animals.  What they look like they can do and what they actually can do are 2 different things.  Tapirs have nasty bites, but usually try to flee from predators.  A gorilla might succeed in intimidating a tapir into a retreat, but will have difficulty prevailing in an actual battle with one.  Tapir wins.

* I couldn't provide a lot of detail on some answers due to the length of the question, but if you need more detail on a particular matchup, just follow-up and I'll see what I can do! *

Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.