Interspecies Conflict/more balanced matchups

Hi ya I've come for that encore I talked about last time presenting

1. Grasshopper Mouse vs. Least Weasel
2. Wildebeest vs. Musk. Ox
3. Allosaurus vs. Mapusaurus
4. Waterbuck vs. Mountain Goat
5. Yak vs. Forest Buffalo
6. Bull Shark vs. Oceanic White Tip
7. Barracuda vs. Anglerfish
8. Sailfish vs. Sawfish
9. Ceratosaurus vs. Carnotaurus
10. Bull Gaur vs. Sumatran Rhino
11. Funnel Web Spider vs. Camel Spider
12. Giant Eland vs. Bull Moose
13. Japanese Giant Hornet vs. Bulldog Raspy Cricket
14. Pygmy Elephant vs. White Rhino
15. Ancylotherium vs. Chalicotherium

I've decided to put the next set of matchuops in their own category.

Unbalanced Matchups

1. Megatherium vs. Tarbosaurus
2. Megatherium vs. Elasmotherium
3. Megatherium vs. Deinotherium
4. Megatherium vs. Indricotherium
5. Megatherium vs. Carcharodontosaurus
6. Arctotherium vs. Therizinosaurus
7. Dunkleosteus vs. Oarfish
8. Megatherium vs. Titanoboa

Yike had to rewrite this because I accidently deleted it the first time. I would have asked this as a follow up from my last question but I was unable to reach you at the time. Anyway take your time to form those well written answers of yours!

Hello Max.

1. Grasshopper Mouse vs Least Weasel: The least weasel can weigh several times more than the grasshopper mouse.  The least weasel is an agile, supple mammal that feeds primarily on voles & birds.  It can tackle prey much larger than itself (and kills with a bite to the back of the skull).  The grasshopper mouse is a stocky rodent that feeds on scorpions, beetles, grasshoppers, & smaller mammals (which it kills with a bite to the back of the neck).  The weasel is too large to lose to the aggressive mouse.  Least weasel wins.

2. Wildebeest vs Muskox: The muskox will weigh almost 50% more than the wildebeest.  The battering-ram attack by the muskox will likely topple the wildebeest, and can seriously injure it.  The battle-tested wildebeest can be a tough customer (dealing with lions, leopards, hyenas, crocodiles, & African wild dogs), but the compact & robust muskox will simply be too strong.  In most bovid vs bovid matchups the heavier animal will win, and that is the case here.  Muskox wins.

3. Allosaurus vs Mapusaurus: Mapusaurus was a little heavier than Allosaurus (typically), and the 2 theropods had similar weapons & attributes.  Allosaurus likely delivered large, slashing bites with its sharp, serrated teeth.  Mapasaurus had a formidable bite of its own, and its size advantage is enough to favor it more times than not.  Mapusaurus wins.

4. Waterbuck vs Mountain Goat: A waterbuck weighs over twice as much as a mountain goat.  Mountain goats are stocky, strong, & can be aggressive, but the waterbuck has longer horns & a significant weight advantage.  The mountain goat would be favored at parity, but not at normal weights.  Waterbuck wins.

5. Yak vs Forest Buffalo: A yak will typically weigh about 75% more than an African forest buffalo (and perhaps more).  Yaks aren't as aggressive as most other bovids (including the forest buffalo), but can be capable combatants when they need to be.  A parity battle would certainly go to the African forest buffalo, but at normal weights the yak is too large.  Yak wins.

6. Bull Shark vs Oceanic White Tip: Bull sharks typically get heavier than oceanic white tip sharks (by 35% or more).  Both of these sharks have dangerous jaws with razor-sharp teeth, and both can be aggressive.  The size advantage is the determining factor in this matchup.  Bull shark wins.

7. Barracuda vs Anglerfish: Anglerfish are usually no larger than a bowling ball, but some types (like Kroyer's deep-sea anglerfish) can reach over a meter in length and weigh as much as a large barracuda.  Deep-sea anglerfish have bodies adapted to the extreme pressures of the deep waters (and aren't as solidly built as a barracuda), and can swallow prey items twice their own size.   Barracuda have sharp teeth that can cause serious injuries to victims (including humans), and are capable of moving at great speeds.  The barracuda's body will hold up better to attack than the anglerfish's will, and its quickness will allow it to make more effective attacks.  As scary-looking as the anglerfish is, it's a little outmatched here.  Barracuda wins.

8. Sailfish vs Sawfish: Sawfish are typically many times heavier than sailfish.  Sailfish are very fast and have a sharp bill that can be used to impale other fish, but sawfish have a rostrum (snout) shaped like a chainsaw blade that can be used to slash back-and-forth with great effect.  The sawfish can implement its weapon more readily, and it has a huge size advantage.  Sawfish wins.

9. Ceratosaurus vs Carnotaurus: Carnotaurus was a little bit heavier than Ceratosaurus.  Carnotaurus had a short snout and a small lower jaw, but had strong biting muscles.  Ceratosaurus had larger teeth than Carnotaurus, and a small horn over its nose (probably for display only).  Ceratosaurus, although a bit smaller, had a better set of jaws than Carnotaurus.  Close fight, edge to Ceratosaurus.

10. Bull Gaur vs Sumatran Rhino: A gaur will typically weigh over 20-30% more than the Sumatran rhino.  Gaurs are huge, well-muscled bovids with large curved horns.  The Sumatran rhino is stocky & stout, with a frontal horn up to 40cm in length (but usually shorter).  The Sumatran rhino isn't as formidable as some of the larger rhinos (white/black) on a pound-for-pound basis, but is should be strong enough to be favored over an equal-weight bovid if it is determined to rumble.  In this matchup, however, the gaur is larger.  Edge to the gaur.

11. Funnel-Web Spider vs Camel Spider: Camel spiders are larger than funnel-web spiders, and have large mouthparts capable of tearing into victims with great effect.  However, the funnel-web spider is aggressive & venomous, and would likely incapacitate the camel spider with a single bite.  This would likely depend on who got the first bite in.  Probably 50/50.

12. Giant Eland vs Bull Moose: The moose will only be 70-80% of the eland's weight.  The moose's antlers are large and wide, and would serve as a barrier between itself and the eland, but wouldn't be able to be used offensively to cause serious wounds to the larger antelope.  The moose could use them to try to push or ram the eland, but the eland's larger size will give it the edge in a battle of strength.  The eland is more agile than the top-heavy moose, and will eventually find an opening to stab with its spiral horns.  At equal weights I would slightly favor the moose (because it would then be the stronger animal), but with the weight advantage here the eland would be favored.  Giant eland wins.

13. Japanese Giant Hornet vs Bulldog Raspy Cricket: Japanese giant hornets have tough exoskeletons, powerful stings, & shearing mandibles.  Not sure how the rasping sound made by the cricket would effect the hornet, but it's unlikely it would be enough to deter an aerial assault from a determined one.  Japanese giant hornet wins.

14. Pygmy Elephant vs White Rhino: The white rhinoceros typically weighs about 25% more than a pygmy elephant, but a large one can be close to double its weight.  I usually favor rhinos over elephants at equal weighs due to their ability to more effective wield their weapons, and the rhino's weigh advantage here puts the icing on the cake.  White rhinoceros wins.

15. Ancylotherium vs Chalicotherium: These animals were very similar in appearance & function, but the Chalicotherium was typically heavier than Ancylotherium.  These herbivores probably wouldn't tangle under normal circumstances, but if they were to, the larger animal would be favored.  Chalicotherium wins.

1. Megatherium vs Tarbosaurus: Megatherium was slightly heavier than Tarbarosaurus (up to 25% more).  Megatherium had huge claws that could serve as weapons similar to the front claws of a grizzly bear or a giant anteater.  The giant sloth's skin was reinforced with small pieces of bone that served as a type of armor.  Tarbosaurus was similar to a Tyrannosaurus (predatory/huge jaws), but weighed almost half its weight.  Megatherium would have been able to drive Tarbosaurus away in a confrontation on occasion, but its limited mobility would have made it difficult to consistently keep the carnivore in front of it.  The powerful jaws of Tarbosaurus would have some difficulty tearing into the tough hide of Megatherium, but they still would have been capable of inflicting serious wounds over the course of a conflict (especially to the head/neck/limb areas).  Tarbosaurus was also more accustomed to dealing with adversaries close to its own weight than Megatherium.  I'd give Tarbosaurus the edge at parity, but the slightly heavier Megatherium will be an even fight for it.  50/50.

2. Megatherium vs Elasmotherium: These animals were close in weight.  Elasmotherium had a long, thick horn protruding from its forehead that provided great reach & injury potential.  Megatherium had a tough hide & clawed forelimbs to swipe with.  The Megatherium would not have had the mobility to avoid the charges of Elasmotherium, and the force of the horn driving into its body would have eventually caused injury.  Elasmotherium has the potential to injure Megatherium more seriously than Megatherium could injure it.  Elasmotherium wins.

3. Megatherium vs Deinotherium: Deinotherium was at least as heavy as Megatherium, but some estimations place it as being much heavier.  Deinotherium was elephant-like in appearance, but its tusks curved abruptly downward from its lower jaw.  Megatherium wasn't fast enough to avoid Deinotherium's charges, and the force of the impact may have caused internal injuries to the giant sloth (despite its tough hide).  Megatherium's claw swipes would have been an effective offense, but its mobility issues would have created problems for it in this matchup.  At close weights the edge goes to Deinotherium.

4. Megatherium vs Indricotherium: Indricotherium (Paraceratherium) was likely the largest mammal to ever walk the earth.  Upper-limit estimates for its shoulder height are nearly 18ft tall (and its head towered almost 26ft off the ground).  Weights of over 20 tons have been assigned to this animal as well.  It may not have gotten quite this big, but it was still quite massive.  Megatherium (giant sloth) could stand tall enough to easily peer inside a 2-story window, and had huge forelimbs armed with sharp claws with which to swipe.  It weighed about 4.5 to 5 tons (almost as much as an Asian elephant).  Megatherium's hide was very tough, as a layer of tiny bony lumps created an armor just beneath the thick fur.  Idricotherium didn't have to deal with adversaries once full-grown (except maybe others of its kind), and was likely a peaceful creature.  A few swipes by Megatherium would have probably driven the Indricotherium away, but a Indricotherium determined to attack the giant sloth would have the size to trample it.  Being over 4 times as heavy, Indricotherium would have been too large for Megatherium to overpower if both animals were determined to engage.  Indricotherium wins.

5. Megatherium vs Carcharodontosaurus: Carcharodontosaurus weighed about 60% more than Megatherium.  Carcharodontosaurus was one of the largest theropods that ever existed, and was armed with huge jaws full of sharp teeth.  Megatherium was a huge ground sloth that could stand up to be just as tall as Carcharodontosaurus (close to 6 meters) and was armed with claws on it forelimbs.  It also had layer of tiny bony lumps that created an armor just beneath its thick fur.  Megatherium may have been able to drive Carcharodontosaurus on occasion, but it would have had trouble repelling a determined one.  Carcharodontosaurus was practiced at overcoming animals larger than Megatherium, and the theropod's powerful jaws would have been able to breach many areas on the mammal's body.  Carcharodontosaurus wins.

6. Arctotherium vs Therizinosaurus: Therizinosaurus weighed about 70% more than Arctotherium (South American short-faced bear).  Therizinosaurus was the "Edward Scissorhands" of the dinosaur world, as it was armed with scythe-like claws (almost 1 meter long each) on its front limbs.  These may have been used to merely intimidate adversaries, but may have been decently effective weapons against attacking theropods (although some scientists don't believe they were very combat-effective).  Therizinosaurus stood close to 6 meters in height (3 times the shoulder height of Arctotherium).  Arctotherium was related to the modern spectacled bear, but was about 9 times as heavy.  Bears are durable mammals with good weaponry (strong jaws, forelimbs to grab/control/swipe, long claws) & great endurance, but aren't generally practiced at taking down animals heavier than they are.  It would be difficult for the bear to win a "swipe war" against this much taller animal, and bringing it to the ground would be problematic as well.  Arctotherium would be favored at parity, but the dinosaur is a bit too heavy here.  Edge to Therizinosaurus.

7. Dunkleosteus vs Oarfish: An oarfish is a very long slender fish (over 8 meters in length), and it is much, much lighter than Dunkleosteus (giant armored fish).  Oarfish feed upon nothing larger than small fish & squid, but Dunkleosteus fed upon large marine creatures unfortunate enough to cross its path.  Dunkleosteus was heavily armored on the anterior half of its body, and its jaws were extremely powerful.  The oarfish would have been a snack for this fearsome predator.  Dunkleosteus wins.

8. Megatherium vs Titanoboa: Megatherium weighed approximately 4 times as much as Titanoboa.  Titanoboa was a terrific ambush hunter, but like today's constrictors, wasn't as effective as a face-to-face combatant on land (poor mobility & poor stamina).  Megatherium was a huge mammal with forelimbs armed with large claws, and these could have cause significant injury to Titanoboa.  Constricting Megatherium would have been close to impossible for Titanoboa due to the giant sloth's great size (imagine a green anaconda successfully constricting an animal as large as a Kodiak bear) & height (it's neck, possibly its only vulnerable spot, would be close to 6 meters off the ground).  Only in deep water would Titanoboa have a decent chance.  Megatherium wins.

Best Regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.