Interspecies Conflict/Same old matchups

Hello I'm back and will be a regular from now on unless there's a rule against that which I doubt. Maybe once or twice a week get ready.

1. Barracuda vs. Blufin Tuna
2. Bull Shark vs. Tiger Shark
3. Wooly Rhino vs. Styracosaurus
4. Nanotyrannus vs. Megalosaurus
5. Acrocanthosaurus vs. Tarbosaurus
6. Torvosaurus vs. Tarbosaurus
7. Saurophaganax vs. Tarbosaurus
8. Acrocanthosaurus vs. Saurophaganax
9. Acrocanthosaurus vs. Torvosaurus
10. Saurophaganax vs. Torvosaurus
11. Argentinosaurus vs. Ultrasaurus
12. Hammerhead vs. Greenland Shark
13. Mugger Crocodile vs. American Alligator
14. Giant Cheetah vs. Gray Wolf
15. Giant Cheetah vs. Spotted Hyena
16. Dimorphodon vs. Harpy Eagle
17. Deinocherius vs. Utahraptor
18. Bulldog Raspy Cricket vs. Praying Mantis
19. Therizinosaurus vs. Iguanadon
20. Giant Eland vs. Spanish Bull

Bonus Questions

On one of your earlier answers regarding how painful a Scolopendra bite is compared to a Bullet Ant sting you leaned towards the Bullet Ant. I'm having my doubts because in the Guinness world records Scolopendra is mentioned as having the most painful bug bite known to man that those bitten submerge the bitten area in boiling water to mask the pain. your thoughts?

Also what's more Painful between a Bullet Ant sting or the after effects of being stung by an Irukandji Jellyfish?

Insightful Excitement awaits me!

Hello Max.

1. Barracuda vs Bluefin Tuna: The bluefin tuna will weigh much more than the barracuda (in some cases close to 20 times as much).  Both have bites capable of injuring the other, but the barracuda is more aggressive (and has longer teeth in relation to its body size).  Still, it wouldn't likely bother with such a large fish in a realistic encounter.  Assuming both are willing to battle each other, the huge size advantage enjoyed by the bluefin tuna gives it the edge here.  Bluefin tuna wins.

2. Bull Shark vs Tiger Shark: Both of these sharks have similar attributes (jaws filled with razor-sharp teeth, tough scaly skin, aggression, etc.), but the tiger shark is typically much larger than the bull shark.  Tiger shark wins.

3. Woolly Rhino vs Styracosaurus: These animals were reasonably close in weight, but the upper-end estimates of the woolly rhinoceros placed it as being about 33% heavier.  The woolly rhino's frontal horn was long & curved, and was somewhat flattened on the edge (as opposed to being perfectly round) like a sword.  Styracosaurus had a short frontal horn, but had a protective frill around its neck lined with spikes (which likely offered decent protection for the anterior portion of its body).  Styracosaurus was more accustomed to dealing with large predators (especially theropods) than the woolly rhinoceros.  The rhino's horn gives it the reach advantage, but the dinosaur has more protection from attack.  Edge to Styracosaurus.

4. Nanotyrannus vs Megalosaurus: Megalosaurus had a decent weight advantage over Nanotyrannus.  Megalosaurus was an early predator with large jaws & sharp teeth.  Nanotyrannus is believed by some to be a juvenile Tyrannosaurus, but may have been a separate species.  The larger Megalosaurus wins.

5. Acrocanthosaurus vs Tarbosaurus: Acrocanthosaurus was about 33% heavier than Tarbosaurus.  Acrocanthosaurus was similar to Carcharodontosaurus, but smaller.  Close at parity, but the size difference is important here.  Acrocanthosaurus wins.

6. Torvosaurus vs Tarbosaurus: Tarbosaurus weighed somewhat more than Torvosaurus (though weight estimates for Torvosaurus vary a bit), and both had similar weaponry (large jaws/sharp teeth).  Torvosaurus was similar in appearance to an Allosaurus, and Tarbosaurus was similar in appearance to Tyrannosaurus.  Tarbosaurus wins.

7. Saurophaganax vs Tarbosaurus: Tarbosaurus was a little over 25% heavier than Saurophaganax.  Tarbosaurus was similar in build to a Tyrannosaurus (but smaller), and Saurophaganax was similar in build to an Allosaurus (but larger).  Good fight at parity, but size makes a difference with theropods that have similar attributes.  Tarbosaurus wins.

8. Acrocanthosaurus vs Saurophaganax: Acrocanthosaurus was over 70% heavier than Saurophaganax.  Both were very similar to Allosaurus in appearance.  Acrocanthosaurus wins.

9. Acrocanthosaurus vs Torvosaurus: Acrocanthosaurus was almost twice as heavy as Torvosaurus.  Both were very similar to Allosaurus in appearance.  Acrocanthosaurus wins.

10. Saurophaganax vs Torvosaurus: These 2 were very similar in build (both very close to Allosaurus in appearance), but Saurophaganax likely had a weight advantage.  Saurophaganax wins.

11. Argentinosaurus vs Ultrasaurus: The maximum weight of both of these sauropods is estimated to be around 100 tons (as much as 16 elephants).  Argentinosaurus was a titanosaur, and Ultrasaurus was a brachiosaurid.  The tail of a titanosaur wasn't as stocky as a brachiosaurid's, but was a bit longer, and probably could have been wielded more effectively as a weapon.  These 2 dinosaurs would have peacefully coexisted, but if there was a disagreement between the 2, I would slightly favor Argentinosaurus.

12. Hammerhead shark vs Greenland Shark: Both of these sharks have similar attributes (tough scaly skin, decent mobility, razor-sharp teeth), but the Greenland shark has a significant size advantage over the hammerhead shark.  Greenland shark wins.

13. Mugger Crocodile vs American Alligator: The American alligator typically has a decent weight advantage over the mugger crocodile.  Both reptiles have similar attributes (armor-like hide, powerful bodies, vice-like jaws), and would be closely matched at parity (with a slight edge to the quicker mugger).  The weight advantage is the deciding factor here.  Edge to the American alligator.

14. Giant Cheetah vs Gray Wolf: The giant cheetah (Acinonyx pardinensis) was double the gray wolf's weight.  The giant cheetah, like today's version, wasn't built for combat (built for speed).  Gray wolves are pack hunters that have strong jaws & great endurance.  The giant cheetah would have enough of a size advantage to potentially knock the wolf over and finish it with a throat bite if it chose to flee, but a conflict starting face-to-face will take the cat out of its comfort zone.  Gray wolves are better engaging opponents as a team than solo, but a single one will still be better equipped to do battle than the giant cheetah.  However, the size difference can't be ignored.  Slight edge to giant cheetah.

15. Giant Cheetah vs Spotted Hyena: The spotted hyena will weigh about 60% of the giant cheetah's weight.  Spotted hyenas are somewhat clumsy with their movements, but are extremely durable animals with great endurance.  Their jaws are extremely powerful (bone-crushing), and these mammals are accustomed to conflict with other dangerous animals (lions, leopards, African wild dogs).  Like wolves, hyenas are better working as a team than solo, but are capable combatants.  The giant cheetah has a decent size advantage here, but it's not built for battle.  Like today's cheetahs, the giant cheetah was a lightly-built felid that used great speed & technique to overcome animals in the course of a chase.  A cheetah will typically back down from a conflict to avoid injury (an injured cheetah can't hunt & will likely starve) even if it's a fight it can win.  A determined giant cheetah won't be a pushover (and might drive a hyena away on occasion), but it will be outmatched by the battle-hardened spotted hyena in a serious confrontation.  Spotted hyena wins.

16. Dimorphodon vs Harpy Eagle: These animals were similar in size, but the harpy eagle is a heavier, more solidly-build creature.  Dimorphodon was a lightly-built pterosaur, and had a proportionately large skull (10" in length & robust).  Its beak contained fang-like teeth suitable for ripping apart fish.  However, the harpy eagle is much more maneuverable in flight & has powerful talons to grab & impale with.  The eagle also deals with larger prey items.  Harpy eagle wins.

17. Deinocherius vs Utahraptor: Not a lot is known about Deinocherius, but it is believed to be similar in appearance to Therizinosaurus (but much smaller).  This dinosaur was armed with clawed forelimbs that likely provided strong defense as well as offense, but it's not known if it was a predator or a herbivore.  Utahraptor was an active predator, and was well-armed (decent bite, grabbing claws, kicking claws).  Deinocherius may have had a chance against the agile Utahraptor if it was an active hunter/fighter & reached the top-end estimates for its weight (3 1/2 times heavier than Utahraptor), but otherwise would not have had the ability to win a close-quarters battle once Utahraptor leapt upon it.  Without knowing more about Deinocherius, I tend to favor Utahraptor here.

18. Bulldog Raspy Cricket vs Praying Mantis: The praying mantis is an active predator with grabbing/stabbing forelegs that can be used to capture prey & repel attackers.  Not sure how the rasping sound made by the cricket would effect the mantis, but it's unlikely it would be enough to deter a predatory attack from a determined one.  The bulldog raspy cricket does predate upon insects & spiders, so I wouldn't count it out.  Edge to praying mantis.

19. Therizinosaurus vs Iguanadon: These animals were close in weight (and close in height when upright; Iguanodon a bit shorter), and not a lot is known about the exact use of their weaponry.  Therizinosaurus was armed with meter-long claws on its front limbs, but they may have been used to intimidate enemies as opposed to being effective "slashing" weapons.  Iguanodon had a spike on each forelimb (where a thumb would be) that was close to a foot in length.  These may have been used to stab attackers, but we're not sure.  The "reach" advantage of Therizinosaurus' claws would probably be enough of an asset to favor it.  Edge to Therizinosaurus.

20. Giant Eland vs Spanish Bull: The Spanish fighting bull will weigh approximately 80% of the giant eland's weight.  Spanish fighting bulls are muscular, powerful animals that are capable of making violent turns & thrusts to impale adversaries with their forward-pointing horns.  Elands are the largest antelopes, and are very athletic for their great size.  However, they aren't as powerfully built as the Spanish bull, and aren't nearly as aggressive.  The giant eland's horns aren't positioned as well for battle as the bull's either.  Spanish bull wins.

Q: On one of your earlier answers regarding how painful a Scolopendra bite is compared to a Bullet Ant sting you leaned towards the Bullet Ant.  I'm having my doubts because in the Guinness world records Scolopendra is mentioned as having the most painful bug bite known to man that those bitten submerge the bitten area in boiling water to mask the pain.  Your thoughts?
A: The bullet ant's sting is rumored to feel like getting shot with a bullet (hence the name), and is rated as the most painful on the Schmidt sting pain index (which only includes certain stinging insects).  The bite of the Scolopendra is no doubt painful (and creates a larger puncture area), but I'm not sure how it would stack up against the sting of a bullet ant.  Submerging an area of the body in boiling water (212 degrees Fahrenheit) can cause permanent injury (as well as intense pain), and doesn't seem like a plausible remedy for any bite or sting from any creature.  It's entirely possible that the bite of the Scolopendra is more painful than the sting of a bullet ant, but superiority regarding bite vs sting might be hard to accurately determine.  I remember as a kid (maybe 9 or 10) getting stung by an insect when I attempted to "pet" it without thinking first.  This occurred at night, and I only remember that it had black & orange on it.  I strongly suspect it was a velvet ant, and its sting felt like being stabbed with a hot needle (and my entire index finger was throbbing instantly).  Velvet ants are rated a "3" on the pain scale, as compared to a "4+" for a bullet ant.  The pain from a bullet ant sting can last for a whole day in some cases.

Q: What's more painful between a Bullet Ant sting or the after effects of being stung by an Irukandji Jellyfish?
A: The initial sting of the bullet ant is much more painful than the initial sting of the Irukandji jellyfish (which sometimes stings without the victim realizing it), but the after-effects of the jellyfish's sting (which is what you've asked to be compared) is a much more miserable experience.  While the bullet ant's intense sting will eventually abate after several hours, the gradual onset of symptoms (including painful cramping & nausea) from the Irukandji jellyfish may last for weeks.  The long duration of a high level of discomfort can be much worse to experience than a single moment of intense pain.  I remember passing a small kidney stone a few years back.  The pain was never intense, but hours & hours of that high discomfort level was absolutely miserable.  I would rather experience another velvet ant sting than to have another kidney stone experience like that.  I also remember seeing a special on TV about the Irukandji jellyfish, and recall the misery experienced by some of the victims.  I would rather be stung by a bullet ant than be stung by an Irukandji jellyfish.

Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.