Interspecies Conflict/wild animals

Hi bk,some more questions
you said that the average weight of Yellowstone grizzly is 250 kg so lion vs Yellowstone grizzly
you said that the largest prey of leopard is eland so a leopard can hunt bigger prey than a lion?cant a lion hunt a bull eland?isn't a eland the biggest prey item of lion.
600 kilo cape buffalo vs 1000 kilo giant eland
sumatran tiger vs jaguar
What is the average weight of eastern lowland gorilla.
If a jaguar is shifted to African Savannahs and if it gets used to the climate can it survive.

Hello Gautam.

Yellowstone grizzly (250kg) vs lion: If we are using the top weight for an African lion, these animals will weigh about the same.  If we are using an average African lion, the grizzly will weigh over 35% more.  A grizzly bear vs a lion at equal weights is a close fight.  The grizzly bear will be stronger, more durable, and have greater endurance.  The lion will be quicker, more agile, and will be more practiced at killing other large animals (with the technique of getting into position to secure a finishing neck/throat/snout/spine bite).  Bears typically overpower adversaries with brutalization (bites/paw swipes/clawing).  A Yellowstone grizzly with a 35% weight advantage will be favored against a lion, but a battle at parity will close to 50/50.

Q: You said that the largest prey of leopard is eland, so a leopard can hunt bigger prey than a lion?  Can't a lion hunt a bull eland?  Isn't an eland the biggest prey item of lion?
A: A leopard can overcome a subadult eland, but a full-sized bull eland will be beyond a leopard's capabilities due to weighing over 10 times as much.  A male lion is capable of tackling a bull eland solo, but it won't be easy without an ambush.  An eland may be the heaviest prey item a lion can overpower solo, but the Cape buffalo is a more dangerous adversary for it (despite weighing a lot less than the eland).

Cape buffalo (600kg) vs giant eland (1000kg): Giant elands are huge antelope with spiral-shaped horns than point backward (level with the plane of their faces).  These horns aren't positioned as well for combat than the Cape buffalo's (curve down & then up; protruding from the sides of the head).  Cape buffalo are much more aggressive & battle-tested than giant eland (who prefer to run from danger), and have been known to mortally wound attacking lions.  The Cape buffalo is much more formidable than the giant eland pound-for-pound, but the eland's huge size advantage in this scenario can't be ignored.  Very close fight, but the giant eland has too much of a size advantage here.  Slight edge to giant eland.

Sumatran tiger vs jaguar: These animals will be close in weight, but a big jaguar can outweigh the tiger by over 10%.  Both cats have the typical felid assets (speed, agility, jaws & claws, killing know-how), but have different builds & different preferred finishing techniques.  The jaguar will be slightly stronger than the tiger (jaguars are generally considered to be the strongest felids pound-for-pound), and will have a stockier build with shorter legs.  Jaguars are the reptile-killing experts of the big cat world, and typically dispatch them & other prey items with a powerful bite to the skull (or back of the neck).  The bite force of a jaguar is the strongest among big cats in proportion to its size, and the jaws can crush turtle shells & penetrate caiman armor.  Sumatran tigers typically kill with a throat bite (as with most big cats).  A "swipe war" would likely favor the tiger (will be slightly faster & have a reach advantage), but a physical battle for positioning will likely favor the jaguar.  The jaguar's unique (and more diversified) finishing method will be easier to employ than the tiger's throat bite (which has a more specified target area), and its slight weight advantage will aid in in this battle as well.  Edge to jaguar.  

Q: What is the average weight of Eastern lowland gorilla?
A: According to the National Audubon Society's Field Guide to African Animals (by Peter C. Alden, Richard D. Estes, Duane Schlitter, & Bunny McBride), the average weight of the Eastern lowland gorilla is 363lb/165kg.  Female gorillas average slightly more than 50% of the male's weight (usually between 53% and 54%).

Q: If a jaguar is shifted to African savannahs and gets used to the climate, can it survive?
A: The jaguar will have trouble adapting initially, but after many years of acclimation, it may be able to adjust.  Jaguars rely on dense cover (provided by their current habitat) for successful hunting forays, and the wide-open savannah would make them relatively easy to spot.  Leopards are similarly marked, and are successful hunters, but jaguars have different builds.  Jaguars have short legs (in comparison) & stocky, muscular bodies custom-made to tackle low-to-the-ground prey items like tapirs, peccaries, caiman, capybaras, & anaconda.  A jaguar is physically capable of overpowering any prey item a leopard is, but doesn't have the skill set necessary to do it as successfully.  A jaguar can't consistently run down antelope & other swift herbivores, but can drag prey items into trees the same way a leopard can (they do this in the jungle to move kills higher up to escape rising water).  Jaguars love the water, and will need to be near a water source to thrive.  Crocodiles would be a potential target for a hungry jaguar.  If placed in the parts of the savannah that have the most trees & water sources, the jaguar would probably be OK, but out in the open would be a poor habitat due to sparse coverage, competition with hyenas & lions, and lack of water.  Without time (many years) to evolve to this new ecosystem, I don't think most jaguars would fare well.  

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.