Interspecies Conflict/More of the same.

Hi I'm back because I'm bored big surprise there huh. What do I have today same old same old big and more of the same old.

1. Candiru vs. Tiger leech
2. Cookie cutter Shark vs. Barracuda
3. Sailfish vs. Bottlenose dolphin
4. Trap jaw ant vs. Bullet ant
5. Ant lion vs. Tiger Beetle
6. Paper wasp vs. Robber fly
7. Yellow hornet vs. Tarantula hawk
8. Albertosaurus vs. Mapusaurus
9. Giant jaguar vs. Lion
10. Blue shark vs. Bull shark
11. Sand tiger vs. Oceanic white tip
12. Ceratosaurus vs. Nanotyrannus
13. Megaraptor vs. Utahraptor
14. Haast eagle vs. Dimorphodon
15. Apatosaurus vs. Indricotherium

And again unbalanced matchups.

1. Pachycepholosaurus vs. Silverback gorilla
2. Styracosaurus vs. Megatherium
3. Giant eland vs. Forest buffalo
4. Wild boar vs. Mandrill
5. Stag beetle vs. Japanese giant hornet
6. Polar bear vs. Allosaurus
7. 100 Piranhas vs. Great white shark
8. Argentinosaurus vs. Triceratops
9. Arctotherium vs. Long horned bison
10. Chimpanzee vs. Dilophosaurus

If I'm overstepping my boundaries or asking too many questions in too little time feel free to tell me. I don't want to think I'm being a bother.

Take as long as you need.

Hello Max.

1. Candiru vs Tiger leech: The tiger leech has a supple body that enables it to get into a good position to latch onto its victims, and will have a mobility advantage over the more rigid-bodied candiru.  Even if the candiru landed the first bite, the tiger leech would be able to turn and land a counter-bite.  Tiger leech wins.

2. Cookie cutter Shark vs Barracuda: The barracuda will have a decent size advantage over the cookie cutter shark, and will have the edge in quickness.  Both have formidable bites, but the sharp, pointed teeth of the barracuda can inflict serious damage to the smaller fish.  Barracuda wins.

3. Sailfish vs Bottlenose dolphin: A bottlenose dolphin can weigh several times more than a sailfish.  Sailfish are very fast fish with a sharp bill.  Dolphins are intelligent mammals with great maneuverability in the water.  Dolphins fight by biting, ramming with their heads, and striking with their tail flukes.  The sailfish has the potential to inflict the more serious injuries (by stabbing with its bill), but it won't get many opportunities against the larger, slightly more mobile dolphin.  Bottlenose dolphin wins.

4. Trap jaw ant vs Bullet ant: The trap jaw ant's jaws open wide & shut with amazing speed, and it would likely be able to use this asset against the bullet ant before the bullet ant could utilize its powerful sting.  Both can win, but I'd probably favor the trap jaw ant here.

5. Ant lion vs Tiger Beetle: The ant lion adult isn't that formidable, but the larva is.  It is an ambush predator.  Ant lions dig holes in the sand to create a concaved pit that passing insects fall into.  The ant lion then seizes the victim with strong jaws from underneath.  The tiger beetle is a fierce, active predator that can run very swiftly.  They overtake prey items, latch onto them with their jaws, and extract the insides.  An ant lion would have trouble catching a tiger beetle on level ground in a face-to-face battle, but a tiger beetle entering one of these sand traps built by the ant lion would be in trouble.  Depends on the venue, but assuming this matchup discounts the ambush, the tiger beetle has the edge.

6. Paper wasp vs Robber fly: Both can win, but the edge in aerial mobility goes to the robber fly.  The robber fly injects its toxic saliva into its victims to immobilize them, and the paper wasp uses its stinger to do the same.  It would probably be able to land on the paper wasp (on some occasions) and be in a position where the paper wasp couldn't counter with its sting.  I'd favor the robber fly.

7. Yellow hornet vs Tarantula hawk: The yellow hornet will have a higher level of aggression, and its exoskeleton may be a bit tougher.  The stinger of the tarantula hawk can exceed the length of a thumbtack's point.  Both can win quickly, but I'd give the yellow hornet the edge.

8. Albertosaurus vs Mapusaurus: These 2 theropods were about the same weight, but Albertosaurus had a lighter build (a likely adaptation for pursuing prey).  Both had fearsome jaws & sharp teeth.  Edge to Mapusaurus.

9. Giant jaguar vs Lion: The giant jaguar was believed to be similar to a lion in size, but having the attributes of a modern-day jaguar, was probably a stronger animal.  This, coupled with the high bite force exerted by jaguars, would give the giant jaguar a slight edge over an African lion.  Giant jaguar wins.

10. Blue shark vs Bull shark: The bull shark typically weighs about 15% more than the blue shark, and is a bit more robust.  Edge to bull shark.

11. Sand tiger vs Oceanic white tip: The sand tiger shark can be somewhat heavier than the oceanic white tip shark, but its a slower swimmer.  The sand tiger might be a bit more powerful, but won't have quite the speed.  Close to 50/50.

12. Ceratosaurus vs Nanotyrannus: Nanotyrannus is believed by some to be a juvenile Tyrannosaurus, but if is indeed a separate species, it likely weighed less than a ton (which would put it close to Ceratosaurus' weight).  If Nanotyrannus was not a juvenile T-rex, it would probably be a close match for a Ceratosaurus at parity.  If it was indeed a juvenile T-rex, it would not have had the experience to deal with Ceratosaurus.

13. Megaraptor vs Utahraptor: Megaraptor was at least twice as heavy as Utahraptor.  While Utahraptor had claws on its feet to slash with, Megaraptor had claws on its "hands" to slash with.  Both could have inflicted grievous injuries to one another, but the larger size (and larger bite) of Megaraptor would make the difference.  Megaraptor wins.

14. Haast's eagle vs Dimorphodon: Haast's eagle was larger & heavier than Dimorphodon.  Dimorphodon was a lightly-built pterosaur, and had a proportionately large skull (10" in length & robust).  Its beak contained fang-like teeth suitable for ripping apart fish.  However, the Haast's eagle was much more maneuverable in flight & had powerful talons to grab & impale with.  Haast's eagle wins.

15. Apatosaurus vs Indricotherium: Apatosaurus (formerly known as Brontosaurus) was larger than Indricotherium (Paraceratherium), sometimes approaching twice its weight.  Indricotherium used its large size to deter predators, and a full-grown one likely had no threats.  Not a lot is known about its ability to fight.  Apatosaurus routinely dealt with predators (namely large theropods), and used its tail as a weapon.  Apatosaurus was likely more battle-tested than Indricotherium, and its size & weaponry would give it the nod in this matchup.  Apatosaurus wins.

And again unbalanced matchups.

1. Pachycepholosaurus vs Silverback gorilla: Pachycepholosaurus weighed over twice as much as a silverback gorilla.  Pachycepholosauruses may have used their thick-domes heads like battering rams (like bighorn sheep do today), and would have been able to injure the gorilla with this type of offense.  Gorillas aren't practiced at battling animals larger than themselves, and one would not know how to proceed against this dinosaur.  Pachycepholosaurus wins.

2. Styracosaurus vs Megatherium: Megatherium weighed 50-60% more than Styracosaurus.  Megatherium (giant sloth) had tough hide (with a bony-like armor underneath) and huge clawed forelimbs that could be swung against adversaries.  Styracosaurus was armed with a nose horn (not as long as the brow horns of a Triceratops, though), and had a spiked frill to help protect its shoulder & neck area.  Megatherium was huge, but its mobility was limited as a result.  It wouldn't have been able to avoid the charges of the Styracosaurus.  The horn of the ceratopsian may not have penetrated Megatheriums hide each time, but the impact of the charge would have been effective after repeated attacks.  However, the swipes from Megatherium would have been able to stun the smaller dinosaur with a blow to an unprotected area.  Styracosaurus was more accustomed to dealing with similar-sized animals, but it's giving up a lot of size here.  Close to 50/50.

3. Giant eland vs Forest buffalo: A giant eland weighs about 2/3 more than a large African forest buffalo.  Giant elands are athletic antelopes with long, spiral horns. The African forest buffalo is a hardy herbivore with thick horns.  A forest buffalo would prevail in a parity fight, but here it's giving up too much weight.  Giant eland wins.

4. Wild boar vs Mandrill: The wild boar will weigh over 4 times as much as the mandrill.  The tough hide of the wild boar will help protect it from any bite it may receive from the mandrill, but the mandrill's body won't be able to withstand a tusking from the much larger boar.  The wild boar will subdue the mandrill rather easily.  Wild boar wins.

5. Stag beetle vs Japanese giant hornet: Both of these creatures are protected by a hard exoskeleton.  The stag beetle is much stronger, but the hornet has the advantage of flight, mobility, & speed.  The mandibles of the stag beetle would finish the fight if it could catch the hornet in them, but the quicker hornet would avoid capture more times than not.  The hornet would need to find a vulnerable spot to sting, and that won't be easy.  They both have the ability to kill one another, but a stalemate can result.  The Japanese giant hornet is a practiced predator, though, and its ability to fly & maneuver is a huge asset.  I'd probably favor the Japanese giant hornet in this one.   

6. Polar bear vs Allosaurus: An Allosaurus weighed about 3-4 times more than a polar bear.  Bears are durable mammals with great durability, endurance, & weaponry (jaws, controlling forelimbs, swiping claws), but the Allosaurus is too big here.  The polar bear won't have a way to avoid the huge bite of the theropod, and will quickly succumb to its injuries.  Allosaurus wins.

7. 100 Piranhas vs Great white shark: A great white shark is a huge ambush predator with huge jaws and lot of teeth.  Piranhas are considerably smaller than sharks, but typically attack prey in a large group by biting with their scissor-like jaws & sharp teeth.  It would take a long time for 100 piranhas to overtake a great white shark with bites, but the shark would have trouble fending off the quicker fish if they coordinated their attack.  The scaly skin of the shark would be harder to penetrate than, let's say, a mammal's hide, but the razor-sharp teeth would get through.  Piranhas would probably ignore an animal this size, but if they were determined to attack without cessation, they would likely succeed in defeating it after much time had passed.  Edge to 100 piranhas.

8. Argentinosaurus vs Triceratops: Argentinosaurus likely weighed at least 10 times as much as Triceratops.  Triceratops could have walked underneath Argentinosaurus and barely grazed its belly!  Argentinosaurus used its great size as a defense, but also had a long tail it strike with.  The horns of the Triceratops could have been used to some effect, but not enough to inflict mortal wounds without an significant accumulation of charges (imagine a cape buffalo trying to injure an elephant).  Argentinosaurus had enough weight to push Triceratops around, and its tail may have stunned the ceratopsian with a good strike.  A Triceratops might have succeeded in driving Argentinosaurus away by being a nuisance (although in reality they would have peacefully coexisted), but simply didn't have the size to overcome it.  Argentinosaurus wins.

9. Arctotherium vs Long-horned bison: The long-horned bison (Bison latifrons) weighed a little bit more than Arctotherium (South American short-faced bear).  Arctotherium was believed to be closely related to the spectacled bear, and probably wasn't as formidable (pound-for-pound) as modern-day brown bears.  Bison latifrons looked like a bison with longer horns.  It probably preferred to use its head as a battering ram over using its horns as stabbing weapons (like current bison do), but we can't be sure.  Arctotherium may have been an active hunter, or simply bullied smaller predators off their kills.  Bears have great endurance, forearm usage for controlling/swiping, and strong bites.  In the same way a modern grizzly bear would have trouble tackling a mobile herbivore exceeding its weight (like a wood bison), Arctotherium may have had difficulty overpowering a long-horned bison (if they ever encountered one another).  Arctotherium was certainly capable of defeating a long-horned bison, but probably would have been repelled more times than not.  Edge to long-horned bison.     

10. Chimpanzee vs Dilophosaurus: Dilophosaurus weighed over 6 times more than a large chimpanzee.  Chimpanzees are strong, intelligent, & can grasp objects with hands, but they aren't practiced at battling other large animals solo.  Dilophosaurus was a lightly-built theropod that preyed on smaller animals, and it would have viewed a chimpanzee as a prey item.  The Dilophosaurus depicted in "Jurassic Park" was not an accurate representation (size-wise) of an adult.  Dilophosaurus wins.

I welcome any questions at any time.  I prefer shorter questions (fewer matchups) so I can spend more time on each of them and offer more detail, but I am OK with whatever I receive.  The time I dedicate to doing this is enjoyable, so ask whenever you need to.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.