Interspecies Conflict/Vs Battles Again

Question
Hi your available as it says. Right after the previous answers I thought up some new ones.

1. Dunkleosteus vs. Xiphactinus
2. Giant Orthocone vs. Colossal Squid
3. Majungasaurus vs. Ceratosaurus
4. Megaraptor vs. Allosaurus
5. Utahraptor vs. Dilophosaurus
6. Ankylosaurus vs. Gastonia Nodosaurid
7. Tiger Shark vs. Greenland Shark
8. Blue Shark vs. Oceanic White Tip
9. Camel Spider vs. Trap door Spider
10. 2 Mapusaurus vs. 1 Tarbosaurus
11. 3 Utahraptor's vs. 1 Allosaurus

Bonus Questions

Could a Megalodon eat a T rex through ambush? Say the T Rex is drinking at a lake or near the ocean and the body of water is big enough to support a Megalodon.

How did you get stung by a Velvet Ant? did it get into your house, were you keeping it as a pet, are they common in the area you were living at the time?

What's more painful between a Bullet Ant sting and a Platypus Sting?

Take your time hope this isn't too soon after the last question.

Answer
Hello Max.

1. Dunkleosteus vs Xiphactinus: Dunkleosteus was approximately 50% longer than Xiphactinus, and weighed at least twice as much.  The anterior half of Dunkleosteus' body was covered in armor plating, and this plating (in part) formed the sharp edges of its extremely powerful jaws (likely able to easily crush anything that got between them).  Xiphactinus had bulldog-shaped jaws with sharp, pointed teeth for impaling prey items.  It was likely a powerful swimmer (with greater mobility than the armored Dunkleosteus) due to its large forked tail & flexible spine.  The greater size & protective armor plating would be great assets for Dunkleosteus in this battle, and despite being a bit slower, it would create massive injuries with just a few bites.  Dunkleosteus wins.

2. Giant Orthocone vs Colossal Squid: Orthocones were believed to be as long as a crocodile (estimates of length vary), and had a cone-shaped shell that offered protection from attack.  It also had 8 tentacles to trap victims and pull them toward its sharp beak to be crushed.  Colossal squids are approximately twice the length of a giant orthocone, and are believed to weigh over 1/2 a ton.  The colossal squid is slow-moving, but can quickly "wrap up" anything that comes near.  The longer tentacles of the squid will enable it to seize the orthocone & hold it in place, but may not be able to dispatch it easily due to the hard shell.  The shorter tentacles of the giant orthocone won't be able to hinder the squid quite as much, and a stalemate might result.  The ability to control the fight better gives the colossal squid the edge.

3. Majungasaurus vs Ceratosaurus: Majungasaurus weighed somewhat more than Ceratosaurus.  Majungasaurus had a short skull, but had strong jaws filled with long, sharp teeth.  Ceratosaurus also had short, strong forelimbs, and had a large, deep skull with long teeth (especially in the top jaw) which made this theropod suitable for hunting large game.  The weight advantage of Majungasaurus gives it the edge.

4. Megaraptor vs Allosaurus: Allosaurus was considerably heavier than Megaraptor (at least double in most cases).  Allosaurus' jaws were much larger, and its slashing bite would have caused a lot of damage to the smaller theropod.  Megaraptor's claws (on its forelimbs) were dangerous weapons, but they would not have been able to cause serious enough injuries to Allosaurus before the larger dinosaur landed with a significant bite.  Allosaurus wins.

5. Utahraptor vs Dilophosaurus: Utahraptor weighed about 10% more than Dilophosaurus.  Utahraptor had a decent array of weapons at its disposal (decent jaws, grabbing claws, kicking/slashing claws) and good agility (and jumping ability).  Dilophosaurus had a formidable set of jaws as well, but didn't have the kicking/slashing offense to match Utahraptor.  At equal weights, I consider dromaeosaurids to be a cut above the traditional theropods in combat.  Utahraptor wins.  

6. Ankylosaurus vs Gastonia Nodosaurid: Ankylosaurus & Gastonia were both well-armored herbivores, but Ankylosaurus was much larger.  Ankylosaurus was covered in bony plates, and had spikes on each side along the edge of this armor.  It also had a club of bone at the end of its powerful tail to defend against attacking theropods.  Gastonia was armed with long spikes on its shoulders, and plates jutting from its body and along its tail.  It was capable of causing injuries with these weapons.  The larger size of Anylosaurus gives it more power in this battle, and its club can be swung with more force than the tail of the smaller dinosaur.  Ankylosaurus wins.

7. Tiger Shark vs Greenland Shark: The Greenland shark is somewhat larger than the tiger shark, but is a slower swimmer.  The tiger shark will likely be able to use its speed advantage to bite more effectively (and frequently, if it doesn't bite & retreat).  The size of the Greenland shark can't be discounted, though.  Probably close to a 50/50.

8. Blue Shark vs Oceanic White Tip: Blue sharks typically weigh close to 20% more than the Oceanic whitetip shark.  Both sharks can be aggressive, and have relatively similar weaponry.  Edge to heavier blue shark.

9. Camel Spider vs Trap door Spider: Camel spiders are larger & more aggressive than trapdoor spiders, and have large mouthparts capable of tearing into victims with great effect.  Trapdoor spiders are primarily ambush predators, and hide in a tunnel (that they made themselves) with a "lid" on top and wait for prey to approach.  Without the benefit of an ambush, the trapdoor spider will be outsized & outgunned.  Camel spider wins.

10. 2 Mapusaurus vs 1 Tarbosaurus: Tarbosaurus weighed about 1/5 more than Mapusaurus (according to some estimates).  If the 2 Mapusauruses work together, they will probably be able to overcome Tarbosaurus.  If they do not, the bigger bite of Tarbosaurus will be more effective in fending the 2 smaller theropods off.  Close battle, but the edge goes to the 2 Mapusauruses.

11. 3 Utahraptors vs 1 Allosaurus: Allosaurus weighed about 4 1/2 times as much as Utahraptor.  Allosaurus will have the bigger bite by far, but the numbers advantage & diverse weaponry (jaws, grabbing claws, kicking/slashing claws) of the agile Utahraptors will make it interesting.  Allosaurus will have the means to easily dispatch a single Utahraptor in its jaws, but may have difficulty reaching the ones that attack from behind (this assuming Utahraptors hunted in packs).  The amount of damage the raptors inflict will be significant after some time has passed, and Allosaurus will need to move & attack quickly to be able to defeat all of them. The outcome here depends largely on how well the Utahraptors will strategize.  If their teamwork is as efficient as, let's say, that of an African wild dog pack, they should be able to use their agility, weaponry, & cooperation to wear Allosaurus down.  If they simply attack all at once without a definite game plan, Allosaurus should hold on long enough to use its big bite to overpower the trio of Utahraptors (but will sustain serious injuries).  Overall, I'd say it's close to a 50/50.

Bonus Questions

Q: Could a Megalodon eat a T rex through ambush? Say the T Rex is drinking at a lake or near the ocean and the body of water is big enough to support a Megalodon.
A: Sharks don't ambush animals at the water's edge the way crocodiles do, but Megalodon was an enormous fish with a huge mouth full of sharp, slicing teeth.  Considering the way some sharks leap with their bodies coming completely out of the water, Megalodon would have the ability (assuming the water depth close to the shore was adequate) to grab a Tyrannosaurus in its jaws & fatally wound it.  Megalodon weighed over 6 times as much as Tyrannosaurus Rex.  This huge shark had the ability to ambush a T-rex, but it would not have posed a real threat unless the theropod decided to enter the water while Megalodon was close by.  The chances of Megalodon coming close to shore would have been rather slim considering its great size.

Q: How did you get stung by a Velvet Ant? Did it get into your house, were you keeping it as a pet, are they common in the area you were living at the time?
A: I had just arrived home with my family after dark (from eating, shopping, or something similar - not sure).  I arrived at the back door (which is how we typically entered) first, and waited for my parents to walk up & open the door.  I looked down on the brick steps leading up to the door, and saw the black & orange insect sitting on the first step facing to the left.  The porch light was the only real illumination, so I didn't see it clearly.  Being an animal lover (insects included), I decided to "pet" the insect with my right index finger.  It did not occur to me at the time to be cautious, and I assumed the insect was a friendly one.  I remember yelling (a lot) immediately after I touched it, and trying to tell my parents what happened.  I had been stung by insects before that incident (bees, yellow jackets, etc.), but nothing compared to the pain of that particular sting.  Velvet ants have a furry body that might lure some carefree 9-year old to "pet" it, and I believe that is exactly what happened to me.  We had a field next to the house (in which we annually grew a garden), and I saw velvet ants walking around from time-to-time.  Now I make sure to admire them from a safe distance!

Q: What's more painful between a Bullet Ant sting and a Platypus Sting?
A: I'm not sure.  Both have been described as extremely painful.  The stinger of the bullet ant is not as large as the spur of the platypus, so the entry wound is probably smaller.  However, the pain is primarily caused by the substance that is injected into the body and not the actual breaching of the skin.  I'd guess they are very comparable.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

BK