Interspecies Conflict/Big battles 3

Question
hello,

Your answers are really good. Thank you. I hope my questions are interesting. Everywhere always gives the maximum size. I'm having fun.

1) 12kg koala "bear" vs 4kg domestic cat
2) 12kg koala "bear" vs 4kg compsognatus
3) Megatherium 5 tons vs 11 tons deynosuchus (0.5 m deep water)
4) 5 tons Megatherium vs 4x 500kg Smilodon populator
5) hyaenodon gigas 500kg vs 400kg cave lion
6) 500kg Smilodon populator vs 20x 20kg dhole
7) 350kg siberian tiger vs 900kg  Sumatran rhino
8) 300kg wild boar vs 100kg cougar (surprise)
9) 2 x 1,600kg arctotherium angustidens vs Daspletosaurus (3.5 tons)
10) 350kg siberian tiger vs 300kg   smilodon fatalis
11) 14kg wild cat (very great specimen) vs 16kg dhole (litle
specimen)
12)megatherium (5t) vs stegosaurus (6t)

How do you look Megatherium? It was extremely stocky and solid fat a big bear? For example big brown bear??  I think of him a lot of fat. What do you think? I Megatherium of prehistoric animals like best. Please give a detailed description of the appearance as you think about looking.

Answer
Hello David.

1) koala "bear" (12kg) vs domestic cat (4kg): Koalas seem cute & cuddly, but they can be quite temperamental & aggressive when annoyed.  Koalas have sharp claws to scratch with, and will also bite.  Domestic cats aren't practiced at taking down larger animals like some big cats are, and would probably avoid contact with the larger koala.  If a domestic cat did attempt to attack a koala, it would be repelled by the koala's defenses.  Koala wins.

2) koala "bear" (12kg) vs Compsognathus (4kg): Compsognathus was one of the smallest dinosaurs, and had a slender build and a small head.  It hunted animals smaller than itself, and was not equipped to seriously injure a koala.  Koalas don't like to expend energy, but not a lot would be needed to drive a Compsognathus away.  Koala wins.

3) Megatherium (5 tons) vs Deinosuchus (11 tons) in 0.5 m deep water: The water would not be deep enough to give Deinosuchus much more mobility than it would have on dry land.  If on its belly, the water covers less than the bottom 1/3 of Deinosuchus' body.  It would still need to walk to move, and this would expend energy.  Megatherium was slow-moving, but was armed with claws on its large forelimbs.  Both animals were protected by an armor-like hide.  The Megatherium's swiping claws would not easily breach the bony plates of Deinosuchus, and the powerful bite of the reptile would not easily puncture the giant sloth's hide.  However, if Deinosuchus grabbed onto an extended area (head or limb) of Megatherium, it would be able to hold on tightly without fear of an effective counter-attack.  Without having deeper water to utilize, Deinosuchus would probably tire and eventually give up.  With deep water available to drag the giant sloth into, Deinosuchus would have the power to do so.  In only 1/2 meter of water, a stalemate would likely occur, but the Deinosuchus would be more powerful physically, and would control any contact positioning better.  Edge to Deinosuchus.  

4) Megatherium (5 tons) vs 4 Smilodon populators (500kg each): From a size perspective, this would be like 4 snow leopards attacking a Kodiak bear.  Smilodons were powerful predators with muscular bodies & long upper canines.  They were capable of subduing animals larger than themselves by grabbing onto them with their forelimbs, getting into a suitable position, and impaling a vulnerable area (like the neck) with their "sabers".  Megatherium didn't have great mobility, and would have had to repel the cats with claw swipes while standing stationary.  The Smilodons would have difficulty penetrating an armored area of Megatherium (and risk breaking a tooth), but would have had a chance to successfully bite its throat if one of them could reach it during the conflict.  A direct hit from Megatherium's huge forelimbs would stun or disable a Smilodon, but the cat's agility would make this far from a certainty.  The Smilodons can pull this off, but the Megatherium is too large & well-protected to fall victim every time.  Edge to Megatherium.

5) Hyaenodon gigas (500kg) vs cave lion (400kg): Hyaenodon gigas had powerful jaws made to crush bone & tear flesh.  The cave lion was a large predator with typical cat attributes (agility, athleticism, explosiveness, finishing know-how, jaws & claws), and likely battled with cave bears on occasion.  The Hyaenodon's only weapon (jaws) would need to be avoided by the cave lion, and the cat's agility would allow it to do so on most occasions & get into position to land a solid bite.  Could go either way, but the presence of claws is huge for the cave lion.  Edge to cave lion.

6) Smilodon populator (500kg) vs 20 dholes (20kg): Smilodon populators were stocky, muscular, cats with sharp claws & long upper canines.  They likely dealt with dire wolves on occasion, which were formidable canids that weighed about 4 times as much as a dhole.  Dholes work well as a team to successfully predate on larger animals, but routinely avoid contact with the tigers that share their habitat.  A Smilodon populator of this size would easily be able to kill a dhole with a single bite or paw swipe, and the dhole's bites would have minimal effect without great accumulation.  The dholes would have the advantage of numbers and endurance, but would not persist in this battle once their numbers began to drop (which would happen).  Success for the dholes is not an impossibility, but certainly an improbability.  Imagine 20 Chihuahuas attacking a snow leopard!  Smilodon populator wins.

7) Siberian tiger (350kg) vs Sumatran rhino (900kg): Sumatran rhinos aren't as formidable (pound-for-pound) as white or black rhinos, but can still use their strength & weaponry (frontal horn) to effectively defend themselves.  Tigers are expert ambush predators and can tackle animals larger than themselves, but face-to-face is a different challenge.  This is a huge tiger, however, and even face-to-face it will have a decent chance to get into a favorable position with its agility.  Big cats don't have great endurance, and a tiger will have a small window of time in which to operate against this solidly-built animal.  The tiger certainly can win, but will definitely have its paws full.  Close to 50/50; slight edge to the Sumatran rhino.

8) wild boar (300kg) vs cougar (100kg): Cougars are capable of tackling prey items much larger than themselves, but a wild boar is one tough customer.  Wild boars have tough hides, fierce dispositions, and sharp tusks.  Cougars are agile, fast, & athletic.  They have great weaponry (jaws, claws, killing know-how), but one would need to use its forepaws to control the anterior end of the boar to keep from getting tusked.  The wild boar here has too much of a size advantage to be easily controlled by the cougar.  The cougar can win, but it won't on most occasions.  Wild boar wins.

9) 2 Arctotheriums (1,600kg) vs Daspletosaurus (3.5 tons): With each animal standing upright, the Arctotheriums (South American giant short-faced bear) will be about 85% of Daspletosaurus' height.  Bears are durable, have great stamina, and are well-armed (jaws & claws).  They can use their forelimbs to swipe/grab & control against many adversaries, but bears aren't built to effectively tackle mobile animals much larger than themselves.  The jaws of Daspletosaurus were large & full of teeth, and a bite would have caused significant injury to the bears.  If the Arctotheriums worked together (which may not have been in their nature), they may have been able to topple Daspletosaurus, but this wasn't likely.  The dinosaur could have dished out more damage to the bears than the other way around.  Edge to Daspletosaurus.

10) Siberian tiger (350kg) vs Smilodon fatalis (300kg): Smilodons were stockier than tigers, and were well-practiced at wrestling adversaries into position to be fatally bitten by their long upper canines.  Siberian tigers are quick & agile (and likely exceed the Smilodon in these categories), and commonly tackle large cervids & suids when hunting.  Siberian tigers encounter brown bears on occasion (which are stocky & strong), and both have fallen victim to one another.  The specialized weaponry of the Smilodon (its "sabers") can end the fight quickly, but gaining positioning against a heavier felid like a tiger won't be easy.  At equal weights I favor the Smilodon, but at the weights given here the battle could go either way.  Close to 50/50.

11) wild cat (14kg) vs dhole (16kg): The wild cat will have the edge in quickness & agility, and will have the use of claws to swipe/grab.  The dhole will have the advantage in stamina & bite (larger, stronger jaws).  A wild cat will be able to put up enough fierce resistance to drive a dhole away in a realistic encounter, but won't be able to easily kill it.  If the dhole is determined (and willing to endure multiple scratches), it can eventually wear the wild cat down with multiple bites, but it will more likely break off its attack once the felid begins fighting back.  The dhole has a better chance of winning a fight to the finish, but the wild cat has a better chance of prevailing in a realistic encounter.  Depends on how you look at it, but slight edge overall to the wild cat.

12) Megatherium (5t) vs Stegosaurus (6t): Megatherium was a huge mammal with powerful forelimbs (armed with claws) and tough hide (consisting of a layer of tiny bits of bone that acted as chain mail).  When standing, it was close to 60% taller than the height of Stegosaurus.  Stegosaurus was a herbivorous dinosaur with large plates along its back and a tail ending in 4 spikes (each almost a meter long) that made formidable weapons against attacking theropods (like Allosaurus).  Megatherium could have injured Stegosaurus with a few well-placed claw swipes, but would not have had the mobility to avoid being struck by the reptile's spiked tail.  While the spikes may not have penetrated some areas on the Megatherium's body every time, the force of the blow would likely have resulted in some degree of injury (especially if it struck the head area).  Megatherium didn't deal with adversaries close to its size, but Stegosaurus did.  The Megatherium might have been able to pull a smaller Stegosaurus onto its side, but not one weighing more than it.  Megatherium might be favored at parity, but not against a Stegosaurus with a 20% weight advantage.  Edge to Stegosaurus.

Q: How do you look Megatherium?  It was extremely stocky and solid fat a big bear?  For example big brown bear??  I think of him a lot of fat.  What do you think?  I Megatherium of prehistoric animals like best.  Please give a detailed description of the appearance as you think about looking.
A: It was probably much like a brown bear in overall physical appearance, but with a few differences.  Its front limbs weren't as thick as its back limbs, and while this is somewhat true in bears, the difference was more profound in Megatherium.  It also had a tail like a kangaroo's, but thicker.  Its head was closer to a herbivore's (maybe horse or camel? maybe a kangaroo without ears?) in appearance than a bear's, but wasn't exactly like the head of any modern animal.  A bear with a thick kangaroo tail probably isn't too far off.

Good questions!

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

BK