Interspecies Conflict/fights

hello BK,
(a)What is the average weight of male:
1.chamaca baboon
2.african lion
3.asiatic lion
4.polar bear
5.grizzly bear
6.ussuri brown bear
7.kodiak bear
10.eastern gorilla
11.clouded leopard
13.eurasian lynx
14.siberian tiger
15.bengal tiger
16.american black bear
(b)assume each animal is equal in weight and no ambush:
1.chimpanzee vs gorilla
2.emu vs ostrich
3.african golden cat vs canadian lynx cat vs bop cat
5.african lion vs american lion rhino vs clouded leopard
7.alaskan grizzly vs clouded leopard
8.mandrill vs bop cat
(c)assume each animal is male(unless stated)and average sized and no ambush.
1.sun bear vs spotted hyena(female)
2.striped hyena vs grey wolf
3.bop cat vs coyote
4.clouded leopard vs spotted deer
5.caracal vs black buck
6.serval vs golden jackal
7.african leopard vs giant panda
8.asiatic lioness vs spectacaled bear
9.cape buffalo vs american bison
10.alaskan moose vs african lion
11.american black bear vs elk
(c)I see most experts favor sun bear over snow leopard but I have a doubt.Did you also favor sun bear?If that so,then please give me a detailed answer.
(d)This one is my favorite fight:
average sized male bengal tiger vs average sized male grizzly bear(no ambush)
Please give me a detailed answer.

Hello Mukul.

(a) What is the average weight of male (these are approximate):

1. chacma baboon: about 26-30kg
2. african lion: about 182kg
3. asiatic lion: about 140kg
4. polar bear: about 450-500kg
5. grizzly bear: about 318kg overall, but varies from area-to-area
6. ussuri brown bear: about 450kg
7. kodiak bear: about 450-500kg
8. mandrill: about 37kg
9. chimpanzee: about 45-55kg
10. eastern gorilla: about 160-165kg
11. clouded leopard: about 19kg
12. wolverine: about 14kg
13. eurasian lynx: about 25kg
14. siberian tiger: about 220-225kg; perhaps more
15. bengal tiger: about 200kg; perhaps more (varies from region-to-region)
16. american black bear: about 193kg; in some areas less (large range in weight)

(b) assume each animal is equal in weight and no ambush:

1. chimpanzee vs gorilla: At equal weights these 2 will be comparable in strength, but the gorilla has a more robust build and teeth better suited for causing damage with a bite (strong bite force).  The gorilla's arms will be thicker and likely be able to be used with more success (grabbing/pulling/striking) & force.  The chimp will be a bit more agile, though.  Actually a close fight, but the edge goes to the gorilla.

2. emu vs ostrich: The ostrich will be more robustly built, and frequently deals with more formidable adversaries (lions, hyenas, etc.).  Both have formidable kicks, though.  Ostrich wins.

3. african golden cat vs canadian lynx: Both of these cats are solidly built and take decent-sized prey items.  Close to 50/50.

4. fishing cat vs bobcat: The bobcat is very aggressive, and has the edge in most physical attributes.  Edge to bobcat.

5. african lion vs american lion: These animals were quite similar overall, but the American lion was built more for speed (to catch swift prey items).  Male African lions are frequently engaged in fierce combat with other male lions, so their cat vs cat abilities are quite honed.  It's hard to say without knowing more about the American lion, but I'd probably give the edge to the African lion.

6. black rhino vs clouded leopard: Black rhinos are aggressive, built like tanks, have long frontal horns, & deal with lions on occasion.  Clouded leopards are extremely agile, and have long upper canines to impale prey items with.  With any scaled-up fight, the smaller animal's speed & mobility will be amplified.  The clouded leopard will be quick enough to avoid the rhino's offense on most occasions, but will have difficulty delivering a precise bite on the tough-skinned rhino while it is violently resisting.  Hard to say with this kind of matchup, but I'd probably give the slightest of edges to the clouded leopard.

7. alaskan grizzly vs clouded leopard: I consider brown bears and big cats to be close at parity, and a clouded leopard is a small cut below (pound-for-pound) than a typical big cat (lion/tiger/jaguar/leopard).  Bears have great strength, durability, & endurance.  Grizzly bears are probably the most formidable of all bears (pound-for-pound), and can be very aggressive & combative.  The clouded leopard's unique weaponry (long upper canines), agility, & quickness give it a decent chance, but it won't prevail on most occasions.  Alaskan grizzly wins.

8. mandrill vs bobcat: Good fight.  Mandrills are mobile primates with hand usage, good leaping ability, & very sharp canines that can cause serious injuries in a short amount of time.  Bobcats are ferocious & well-armed (jaws & claws), and can inflict deep scratches with their forepaws & hindlimbs.  Cats have a tendency to disengage a battle once they've received a few moderate injuries (can't afford to have their ability to hunt compromised), and their endurance is short-lived.  The bobcat will have a hard time controlling the mandrill with its forepaws without receiving bites itself (because of the primate's grabbing hands), and the mandrill's offense will cause more damage from moment-to-moment.  Edge to mandrill.

(c) assume each animal is male (unless stated) and average-sized and no ambush.

1. sun bear vs spotted hyena (female): The sun bear will weigh slightly less than the female spotted hyena.  Spotted hyenas have bone-crushing jaws & great durability.  Sun bears have sharp claws & loose skin that enables them to effectively counter-attack even when grabbed in an attacker's jaws.  Even if the hyena latches onto the bear, it will likely be in a position to inflict damage to the hyena with its claws.  A sun bear will be able to repel a spotted hyena on most occasions in a realistic confrontation, and will be slightly favored in a serious fight.  Edge to sun bear.

2. striped hyena vs grey wolf: An average gray wolf will typically weigh about 25-30% more than the striped hyena.  Striped hyenas are bold & aggressive, and can usually drive a wolf away in an actual encounter.  However, if a gray wolf is determined to fight, it will have a decent chance.  Wolves are nimble, and have strong bites, but they are better suited for confrontation when joined with other members of the pack.  Striped hyenas have strong bites as well (and it may be just as strong as the wolf's despite its smaller size).  The striped hyena will probably need to be at least 85% of the wolf's weight to give it an even contest, and it's not quite there on average.  Close fight, but edge to the gray wolf.

3. bobcat vs coyote: The bobcat will weigh a little bit less than the coyote.  The coyote will have the advantage of a bigger bite & greater stamina, but the bobcat will exceed it in quickness, agility, athleticism, & weaponry (presence of sharp claws).  The coyote will likely rush right in and try to bite the bobcat, and be met with a face full of claws & fury.  The bobcat will likely roll on its back (a tactic most cats use) and use all four claws to rake away at the coyote.  The coyote's bite is its only weapon.  This is a decent fight, and most encounters will end with the bobcat driving the coyote away.  A determined coyote will have a chance, but will need a decent weight advantage to be favored.  Edge to bobcat.

4. clouded leopard vs spotted deer: The spotted deer (chital) will weigh anywhere from 3 to 3 1/2 times as much as the clouded leopard.  A clouded leopard is a very agile, athletic felid with long upper canines used to dispatch prey items (sometimes larger than themselves).  A spotted deer has antlers with many points, and can use these for defense.  A clouded leopard can certainly win with an ambush, but face-to-face is another matter.  Probably close to a 50/50; slight edge to the clouded leopard.

5. caracal vs black buck: The black buck will weigh about 2 1/2 times as much as the caracal.  Caracals can overpower antelopes larger than themselves, but this isn't an easy task without ambush.  A black buck will defend itself with its long sharp horns, and a caracal will find it challenging to get into position to apply a throat bite in a face-to-face confrontation.  Probably close to a 50/50; slight edge to the black buck.

6. serval vs golden jackal: The serval will weigh about 20% more than the golden jackal.  Servals are great hunters, runners, & leapers.  They aren't solidly built (slender & gracile), and aren't equipped to fight as well as, let's say, bobcats & caracals.  Servals prey on rodents, birds, & other small animals.  Golden jackals have long, pointed jaws and greater endurance than a serval.  A serval will probably succeed in driving a golden jackal away, but won't best it in a down & dirty fight.  Golden jackal wins.

7. african leopard vs giant panda: The leopard will weigh less than 70% of the giant panda's weight.  Leopards are fantastic hunters, and have the strength to haul heavy kills up into trees.  They have the typical felid attributes (speed, agility, explosiveness, athleticism, jaws & claws, killing know-how), and are battle-tested (frequently clash with hyenas, baboons, chimpanzees, etc.).  Giant pandas may be adorable, but can be dangerous when angered or threatened.  They have strong, robust bodies with sharp claws & powerful jaws (to crunch through tough bamboo stalks).  The giant panda will be on the defensive in this battle, but should be able to provide enough resistance to the leopard's attack to make it relent.  African leopards don't encounter anything resembling a bear, but giant pandas occasionally cross paths with leopards & snow leopards in their habitat.  The leopard can subdue animals much larger than themselves (like wildebeest), but won't be favored against a larger, stronger panda.  Edge to giant panda.

8. asiatic lioness vs spectacled bear: The spectacled bear will weigh about 40% more than the Asiatic lioness.  The lioness will have the advantages of speed, agility, & killing know-how, but the bear will have advantages in strength, endurance, & size.  The lioness will be quick enough to engage the bear in a favorable position at times during the battle, but won't be able to keep the bear from using its claws & forelimbs to repel the cat's attack.  Spectacled bears aren't as formidable (pound-for-pound) as brown bears, but they're still bears.  The lioness will put a good fight, but the bear will be a bit too much for it on most occasions.  Spectacled bear wins.

9. cape buffalo vs american bison: The American bison will weigh about 35% more than the Cape buffalo.  The bison has a very robust neck and shoulder area (its body in front of its shoulders is close to the weight of its body behind the shoulders) and fights primarily by using its head as a battering ram.  The Cape buffalo is not as stocky, but is still a well-proportioned & powerful animal.  It is very aggressive, well-practiced in battling predators, and has horns that curve outward that it uses to gore adversaries with. At these weights the bison would dominate this encounter.  I would still favor the massive bison at parity, but only slightly so.  American bison wins.

10. alaskan moose vs african lion: The moose will weigh about 3 times as much as the African lion.  A bull moose will be a dangerous quarry for any predator (large antlers/sharp hooves), but conquering one is within the capabilities of a large male lion.  African lions routinely predate upon Cape buffalo, and a Cape buffalo is a more formidable & powerful animal than a moose (even though their weights are similar).  The lion will instinctively avoid the sweeping antlers of the moose (like it does with the horns of a Cape buffalo) and leap upon it or grab onto it using its front claws.  The moose will try to use its antlers to ram & push against the attacking lion (and the sharp tines along the antler's edges can cause stabbing injuries) and kick/trample by using its hooves.  A moose can certainly drive a lion away in a realistic scenario, but will have trouble with a determined one.  The lion (with its quickness, agility, & explosive movements) should be able to defeat the bull moose on most occasions without sustaining any major injuries if it's careful.  Edge to African lion.

11. american black bear vs elk: The elk will weigh almost twice as much as the black bear.  Black bears sometimes prey on elk, but aren't equipped to tackle ones with a decent weight advantage over them.  Like other bears, they are durable, strong, have great endurance, & formidable weaponry (jaws & claws).  Elk have great reach with their antlers, and can cause serious injuries to an adversary with the sharp points on them.  They also kick with their hooves.  The black bear won't be experienced enough in tackling large animals to successfully bring the elk down with its forelimbs, and won't have the mobility to avoid a charge from the cervid.  The bear won't be without hope (as it can dish out a lot of damage with its claws), but it will struggle more times than not against an elk.  Edge to elk.

Q: I see most experts favor sun bear over snow leopard but I have a doubt.  Did you also favor sun bear?  If that so, then please give me a detailed answer.
A: A big snow leopard can outweigh the sun bear by 10-15%, but their weights are usually close.  Here is an answer I gave a while back matching up these 2 animals at parity: [The sun bear is not as powerful pound-for-pound as a brown bear or even a black bear, but it brings a lot to the table.  It is known to be a fierce fighter, and has long, sharp claws that can do a lot of damage.  The snow leopard is also not as formidable pound-for-pound as the larger big cats, but it can tackle prey over 3 times its weight.  In a normal encounter, the sun bear would drive the snow leopard away, but in a fight to the finish I would favor the more-predatory snow leopard.  Close fight, though.]  In this answer I indicated the snow leopard will have a slight edge at parity, and if it has a weight advantage, I agree with you that the snow leopard should be favored.  A sun bear with a decent weight advantage will have the edge (more strength & endurance), but a snow leopard will have the edge at parity or with a weight advantage (greater speed, agility, killing know-how).

(d) average-sized male bengal tiger vs average-sized male grizzly bear (no ambush): The grizzly bear will weigh about 60% more than the Bengal tiger.  Here is an answer to a previous matchup of average grizzly bear vs average Siberian tiger:

[Grizzly bear vs Siberian tiger: The average weigh of these 2 animals varies greatly for different reasons.  The grizzly bears in Alaska, for example, weigh much more than those in the other states (United States). In some areas the bears may average as little as 160kgs (or less) and others may average over 400kgs. For this scenario, we'll use a 318kg bear.  The Siberian tiger is not as large as it once was.  A long time ago, these great cats averaged over 250kg and maxed out at well over 300kgs.  Today's Siberian tigers are much smaller.  A big one today might range between 180kgs and 225kgs, but the average is probably even less.  Overall, an average grizzly bear will outweigh the average Siberian tiger.  We will use 225kgs for the weight of the tiger.

The Eurasian brown bear (which interacts with Siberian tigers) is similar to a grizzly bear.  They have reportedly preyed on one another, and have driven each other off of kills.  Tigers, for the most part, are used to dealing with bears.  Grizzly bears don't have any large cats to deal with in North America.  Cougars, which can tip the scales at 100kgs, are no match for a full-grown grizzly bear.  Grizzly bears have humped, muscular shoulders and huge paws.  Their claws can exceed 4", and their swipes are very powerful.  Bears have stellar endurance as well.  Tigers are very established hunters and are experts at killing large prey.  Their sharp claws & teeth, agility, and quickness are formidable assets.  Tigers are experts at getting into position to be able to hold on with sharp claws, deliver a killing bite to the neck or the spine, and avoid getting injured in the process (as with a water buffalo; biting the throat while holding on closely with its claws to keep the bovid from effectively striking with its horns).  This will be difficult against a grizzly bear.  Engaging the bear head-on will be risky and avoiding getting hit with a paw swipe will be crucial.  The tiger's goal will be to use its quickness to latch onto the bear at a point where it can bite effectively and avoid getting bit or hit by the bear.  The bear will likely have the strength advantage, but it won't be as fast.

Bear advantages: size, strength, endurance, big paws & long claws
Tiger advantages: agility, speed, familiarity with bears, killing skill, sharp claws

In this scenario the grizzly bear would win.  It's just too big for the tiger.  The tiger can win, but he weighs less than 3/4 of the bear.  The tiger might get the better of the bear at first with its quickness, but as the fight wears on, the bear's endurance will swing the advantage in its favor.  I would favor a tiger slightly at equal weights, but not average vs average.]

There's not a lot of difference between Siberian tigers & Bengal tigers in regards to pound-for-pound fighting prowess, but the Siberian tiger is more practiced at dealing with brown bears, and would likely be more prepared in a battle with a grizzly bear.  No tiger will be favored against a brown bear with this much of a weight advantage.  Grizzly bear wins.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.