Interspecies Conflict/Interspecies Conflict

Question
Hello again Bk,here are some more animal battles I would like to get your opinion on.matches-

Nile crocodile vs Wolrus

Clouded Leopard vs Wolverine

White Rhino vs Hippo

Wildebeest vs Ostrich

Gray Kangaroo vs Cheetah

Chimpanzee vs Orongatan

Thanks

Answer
Hello Gian.

Nile crocodile vs Walrus: The walrus will weigh over 50% more than the crocodile.  Walruses have thick, tough skin that is very difficult to penetrate.  Crocodile's teeth aren't meant to puncture, but to grab & hold (so the croc can kill by drowning).  A crocodile can overpower a large herbivore at the water's edge because there are many places on the victim's body for the jaws to latch onto (leg, head, etc.),  but the rotund body of the walrus will make it hard for the crocodile to open its jaws wide enough to get a decent grip.  The crocodile could target the tail or a flipper, but this won't likely disable the larger walrus.  The walrus will have the mobility to get into position to impale the crocodile with its tusks (in the side or belly), and should be able to prevail on most occasions (in water or on land).  Walrus wins.

Clouded Leopard vs Wolverine: The clouded leopard will weigh about 20% more than the wolverine.  Wolverines are powerful & ferocious fighters, with strong jaws (able to crunch through frozen meat & bone) & sharp claws.  They have few equals in their weight range when it comes to confrontation.  Wolverines routinely chase formidable predators away from kills (black bears, wolves, lynxes, etc.), and rarely back down from a conflict with them.  Clouded leopards are extremely agile, and have strong jaws armed with upper canines as long as matchsticks (almost like a miniature, less-stocky version of a saber-tooth cat).  The clouded leopard can use its quickness & front limbs to position an opponent for the delivery of a killing bite.  This battle is interesting because both animals have advantages over each other.  The wolverine is likely stronger pound-for-pound, has greater endurance, and its thick fur will protect it from injury more than the clouded leopard's fur will protect it.  The clouded leopard has better agility and a somewhat more formidable bite (and better tools to finish a fight).  This will be a fierce altercation, and the wolverine will likely drive the clouded leopard away in a realistic encounter, but the cat's larger size will give it the edge here if they choose to engage.  At equal weights I will favor the wolverine, but the clouded leopard with a 20% weight advantage gets the nod.  Almost a 50/50; slightest of edges to the clouded leopard.

White Rhino vs Hippo: These animals are similar in weight.  The white rhinoceros has tough hide and 2 nose horns (the front one reaching well over a meter in length).  This rhinoceros is well-adapted to a terrestrial lifestyle, and has strong, sturdy legs that enable it to make powerful turns with its body when using its horn to thrust at an adversary.  The thick-skinned hippopotamus can open it jaws over a meter wide, and have long, lower canines used for slashing and forward-protruding lower incisors used primarily for thrusting (in conflicts).  Hippos are able to move about on land (and can move quickly in short bursts), but their legs are too small (compared to their heavy bodies) to enable them to maintain a prolonged terrestrial lifestyle.  They are well-adapted to the water where their large bodies have buoyancy.  The advantages a white rhino enjoys in this contest is a weapon (horn) that has greater reach than the hippo's weapon (jaws), and stockier legs that allow for more powerful movements on land.  In a realistic confrontation the more aggressive hippo may succeed in driving the rhinoceros away (especially near water where the hippo is territorial), but if both parties are determined to fight, the white rhinoceros is better-equipped to win.  In shallow water the contest will be closer, but as long as the water depth is not enough to greatly impede the rhino's movement, it will still be favored.  A hippopotamus will need a decent weight advantage to be favored against a white (or black) rhinoceros on land.  White rhinoceros wins.

Wildebeest vs Ostrich: The wildebeest will weigh almost twice as much as the ostrich.  Wildebeests are sturdy antelopes with ox-like horns approaching 2 1/2ft in length.  They commonly deal with predators like lions, leopards, hyenas, African hunting dogs, & crocodiles.  Wildebeests primarily use their horns to defend themselves, but their hooves can be potentially dangerous as well.  The ostrich is the world's largest bird, and  it can stand close to 9ft tall and weigh over 300lb.  It uses its long neck and large eyes to scan the landscape for predators (primarily cheetahs, lions & hyenas).  If it spots a predator it will attempt to hide, flap its wings in an effort to intimidate, or run.  If forced to fight, it will kick with strong legs armed with long claws.  An ostrich can be very territorial, and I've seen a video of a large male charging toward members of a wildebeest herd and making them scatter.  A kick from an ostrich can certainly injure a wildebeest, but the horns of a wildebeest can seriously injure an ostrich.  A wildebeest is quite nimble for its size, and is practiced at defending itself (as it is a primary food target).  It will be able to avoid the ostrich's offense much better than the other way around (the bird won't have an effective way to block the antelope's charges), and the mammal will pack more power in its punch.  Wildebeest wins.

Gray Kangaroo vs Cheetah: The animals will be similar in weight.  Kangaroos are robust herbivores with very strong back legs that provide great power when hopping or kicking.  A kangaroo can bound at speeds close to 30mph.  When kangaroos fight among themselves, they typically stand up and spar (boxing & grabbing with their forelimbs), but when confronting predators, they use their thick tails for support & balance while delivering powerful kicks with their large clawed hindlimbs.  The impact of this kick can cause injury with the force applied alone, but the claws can also rip open an attacker.  Cheetahs are fantastic hunters, but aren't built to fight well.  They have slender, streamlined bodies & small heads.  Cheetah's claws aren't sharp compared to other large cats, because they are semi-retractable and serve as "cleats" to help the cat grip the ground when running (and can attain speeds faster than cars on a highway).  A cheetah will use this speed to overtake swift herbivores like gazelle, and trips the fleeing animal to bring it to the ground.  It will then apply a bite to the throat to induce suffocation.  Cheetahs often get driven away from their kills by animals they are capable of defeating in a serious fight, but will relent to avoid injury (an injured cheetah can't hunt properly and will face possible starvation).  A kangaroo might be killed by a cheetah if it flees, but will have a great chance of repelling the cat if it stands its ground.  A cheetah won't be able to easily topple this sturdy marsupial, and won't be able to consistently avoid its dangerous kicks while trying to engage it.  Grey kangaroo wins.

Chimpanzee vs Orangutan: An orangutan can weigh 2/3 as much as a chimpanzee.  Orangutans are massively strong apes with long arms spanning over 2.2 meters wide.  They are typically peaceful animals & aren't skilled combatants, but can deliver a decent bite if threatened.  The orangutan's limbs are very flexible, and it is capable of great range of motion.  Chimpanzees are strong primates, and can be aggressive at times, but usually employ a defensive display to intimidate rivals as opposed to physically engaging them.  They have good mobility, use of their hands, and a dangerous bite to serve them in a conflict.  Chimpanzees don't have the ability to easily dispatch another large animal solo (they aren't practiced at this/usually attack in groups) because they don't have the finishing ability of a predator (like a big cat).  Chimpanzees are more aggressive & boisterous than orangutans (and will have better lateral movement & quickness), and a single chimp will probably be able to force a retreat from the more timid ape in a realistic confrontation.  The orangutan may sustain injuries in a down & dirty fight with a chimpanzee, but its long arms, grabbing hands, & greater strength will be perfect for controlling the movements & positioning of the smaller animal.  A chimpanzee will definitely be favored at parity, but it will have trouble against an orangutan weighing significantly more than it does.  Slight edge to orangutan.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

BK