Interspecies Conflict/Matchups on the spot!

Today I'm just going too list them as I think them. You know me I know you and your available. Lets go!

1. American Lioness vs. African Lion
2. Musk Ox vs. Forest Buffalo
3. Goliath Heron vs. Bald Eagle
4. Flamingo vs. Peacock
5. Platypus vs. Beaver
6. Capybara vs. Raccoon
7. Megalodon vs. Sperm Whale
8. Liopleurodon vs. Deinosuchus
9. Mosasaur vs. Sarcosuchus
10. Striped Hyena vs. African Wild Dog
11. Peregrine Falcon vs. Great Horned Owl
12. Harpy Eagle vs. Emu
13. Mountain Goat vs. Ram
14. Ox vs. Yak
15. Water Buffalo vs. Bison
16. Warthog vs. Peccary
17. Bottlenose Dolphin vs. Bull Shark
18. Leaf Cutter Ant vs. Trap jaw Ant
19. Velvet Ant vs. Bullet Ant
20. Giant Anteater vs. Mandrill
21. Sauroniops vs. Megatherium
22. Female Elephant Seal vs. Leopard Seal
23. Bull Elephant Seal vs. Female Walrus
24. Alligator Snapping Turtle vs. Komodo Dragon
25. Reticulated Python vs. Oarfish
26. Cicada Killer vs. Paper Wasp
27. Jackal vs. Honey Badger
28. Dingo vs. Coyote
29. Koala vs. Wolverine
30. Lynx vs. Caracal

I'll readz em when iz seez them! The misspelling there was deliberate don't you know. have a good laugh about it. We all need to lift our spirits once in awhile. Especially me considering I'm starting up a new online math course this Fall. A whole new responsibility plus experience awaits me. Back to the subject at hand. I'll I can say is make sure you enjoy yourself while typing up your response. I don't wanna think your overexerting yourself. Have a blast!

Hello Max.

1. American Lioness vs African Lion: The American lioness is smaller than her counterpart (the American lion), but will still outweigh the African lion male by approximately 20%.  African lions are excellent combatants, but will be a little outmatched by the heavier cat with similar assets & attributes.  American lioness wins.

2. Musk Ox vs Forest Buffalo: These animals can be close in size, but the African forest buffalo can weigh over 1/3 more.  Muskoxen fight by charging like a battering ram, but will hook with their horns in a conflict.  Close battle at equal weights, but the larger bovid will be favored here.  Forest buffalo wins.

3. Goliath Heron vs Bald Eagle: A bald eagle can weigh about 25% more than a goliath heron.  A bald eagle with have a huge advantage in weaponry in an air battle (talons), but a ground battle will be closer.  The heron can use its bill like a spear, and might stave off an eagle's attack, but will be in trouble once the eagle grabs it.  Overall edge to bald eagle.

4. Flamingo vs Peacock: A peacock can weigh about 1/3 more than a flamingo.  Peafowls can kick when they need to, and their larger size will likely give them the edge over a flamingo.  Edge to peacock.

5. Platypus vs Beaver: A beaver can weigh 10 times as much as a platypus.  A beaver has a robust body, and like all rodents, can deliver a nasty bite with its incisors.  A platypus has spurs on its back limbs that can deliver venom with a kick, and this can injure a careless beaver.  The size advantage of the beaver should enable it to bully the smaller mammal on most occasions, but a well-placed kick will turn the tide.  Edge to beaver.

6. Capybara vs Raccoon: A capybara can weigh over 5 times as much as a raccoon.  Capybaras defend themselves by biting, and can cause injury to an attacker (many anacondas have injuries from predating on capybaras).  A raccoon is a feisty fighter with sharp teeth & a rotund body, but it's too small to overcome the world's largest rodent.  Capybara wins.

7. Megalodon vs Sperm Whale: Megalodon was not quite as heavy (or long) as a sperm whale, but it was close.  Megalodon has huge jaws filled with razor-sharp teeth, and its bite can cause significant avulsions quite readily.  Sperm whales can butt with their large heads and bite (with teeth on their lower jaws the size of bananas), but their weaponry is not on the same level as the huge shark's.  Megalodon wins.

8. Liopleurodon vs Deinosuchus: Deinosuchus was twice as long as today's longest crocodiles, and probably weighed 8 times as much.  There are lots of varying estimates for the size of Liopleurodon, some placing it close to Deinosuchus' weight and some placing it well above.  One of the more commonly used weight ranges for Liopleurodon assign its weight between 5 & 15 tons, others between 20-25 tons, while still others have its weight rivaling some of today's whales.  Liopleurodon had a torpedo-shaped body with four large flippers that enabled it to achieve great agility & acceleration through the water.  Its jaws were huge, lined with sharp teeth designed to grab & crush.  Deinosuchus was armored much like today's crocodiles & alligators, and had massive jaws with incredible chomping power.  It relied on its tail for most of it's locomotion.  In an open-water battle, the Liopleurodon will have a distinct mobility advantage and will be able to deliver many bites while avoiding the jaws of Deinosuchus.  If Deinosuchus clamps on a vulnerable spot during the altercation, it will be able to turn the tables, but most of the time it will be outmatched by the Liopleurodon.  I would favor the Liopleurodon to win if it weighed 75-80% of Deinosuchus' weight or more, and one weighing twice as much would likely dominate.  Overall, Liopleurodon wins.

9. Mosasaur vs Sarcosuchus: The largest mosasaur was about 40% heavier than Sarcosuchus (SuperCroc).  Mosasaurs were agile aquatic predators than navigated by use of 4 flippers & a rudder-like tail.  They had formidable jaws with sharp teeth.  Sarcosuchus was twice as long as modern-day crocodiles and over 8 times as heavy.  It had relatively slender jaws, but was still capable of tackling decent-sized prey.  The armored hide of Sarcosuchus will help protect it from many of the mosasaur's attacks, but it won't have the mobility to mount an effective counter-attack on most occasions.  The larger, more manueverable mosasaur will prevail more times than not.  Mosasaur wins.

10. Striped Hyena vs African Wild Dog: A striped hyena will typically weigh at least 15% more than an African hunting dog.  Both are battle-tested predators, but the larger hyena has a bigger bite & a more durable build.  The hunting dog will have an edge in lateral quickness, but it won't be enough to close the gap.  The striped hyena is on another level.  Striped hyena wins.

11. Peregrine Falcon vs Great Horned Owl: With raptor conflicts, any of them can ambush the other with an air strike and finish the encounter with ease with the right level of accuracy.  However, in face-to-face, the smaller bird will probably be wise to simply fly away.  In the case of these 2 birds, the peregrine falcon will probably need to avoid a face-to-face with the owl.  The great horned owl will be over twice as heavy, and can kill the falcon with its powerful talons.  The falcon might have a maneuverability advantage in open air & have a chance to drive the owl away, but a down & dirty, talon-gripping fight will likely favor the larger bird.  Without an ambush, the falcon probably won't have a great chance to succeed.  Great horned owl wins.

12. Harpy Eagle vs Emu: The emu weighs over 6 times as much as a harpy eagle.  The harpy eagle is a powerful predator with sharp talons & a strong beak.  Emus can deliver dangerous kicks to defend themselves, but won't have a way to injure a harpy eagle without the raptor landing on the ground.  A harpy eagle can attack the emu from the air, and this gives it enough of an advantage to be favored.  The now-extinct Haast's eagle routinely predated upon moas (similar in appearance to an emu, but over 3 times as heavy), and moas weighed well over 12 times as much as the Haast's eagle.  Harpy eagle wins.

13. Mountain Goat vs Ram: A ram is a male sheep, and there are several different types of sheep.  The most famous ram is probably the bighorn sheep, which can weigh 127kg or more.  It has heavy horns (14kg) and often battles other males by bashing heads together with a lot of force.  Mountain goats have sharp horns, and can be aggressive.  Even a heavier ram will be driven away by them.  The largest ram, the argali, can weigh 200kg, and will likely get the better of an encounter with a much smaller mountain goat.  Mountain goat wins at parity (and even at lesser weights on occasion), but this really depends on the type of ram.

14. Ox vs Yak: A yak can exceed 1000kg in weight.  An ox isn't a specific species of animal, but any castrated bovid used for labor.  Oxen range in size from much less than a yak to somewhat more than a yak.  How well an ox will fare against a yak will depend on the type of bovid used & the size of that particular bovid.  Yaks aren't as formidable or aggressive as many other bovids (like Cape buffalo, bison, Spanish fighting bulls, rodeo bulls, etc.), and will likely need a weight advantage to defeat many types of oxen in battle.  This depends on the ox.

15. Water Buffalo vs Bison: These animals will be close in size, but a water buffalo can be slightly heavier.  The bison has very muscular forequarters, and a large head.  Both have sharp horns to gore with, but the bison also uses its head like a battering ram.  The bison will have the edge at parity, but the weight advantage of the water buffalo will help it even things out.  Close to 50/50; slight edge to water buffalo.

16. Warthog vs Peccary: A warthog can weigh over 3 1/2 times as much as a peccary.  Warthogs have long curved tusk to use as a defense against predators (like lions & hyenas).  Peccaries have sharp tusks, but they aren't as long as a warthog's tusks.  A parity fight will be close, but a peccary generally will be too small to compete here.  Warthog wins.

17. Bottlenose Dolphin vs Bull Shark: The bottlenose dolphin will weigh at least 50% as much as a bull shark.  Dolphins have greater mobility in the water than sharks.  A bottlenose dolphin should be able to avoid the dangerous jaws of the shark, and will be able to ram into it to drive it away.  Bottlenose dolphin wins.

18. Leaf Cutter Ant vs Trap jaw Ant: The trap-jaw ant has very powerful mandibles that can close with extreme speed.  Both of these ants can bite & sting, but the jaws of the trap-jaw ant give it the edge.  Trap-jaw ant wins.

19. Velvet Ant vs Bullet Ant: Both of these insects have powerful stings, but the velvet ant has a more robust build & a tough exoskeleton that will protect it from the bites & stings of the bullet ant.  Edge to velvet ant.

20. Giant Anteater vs Mandrill: These animals may be close in weight, but a large anteater can weigh over 1/3 more on occasion.  Mandrills are mobile primates with grabbing hands and sharp canines (2" long).  Anteaters have long, sharp claws on their forelimbs & can repel attackers with them (even jaguars & cougars).  This will be a bite vs claw affair, and the larger anteater should prevail more times than not.  Giant anteater wins.

21. Sauroniops vs Megatherium: Sauroniops weighs slightly more than Megatherium.  Megatherium has huge claws that can serve as weapons similar to the front claws of a grizzly bear or a giant anteater.  The giant sloth's skin is reinforced with small pieces of bone that serve as a type of armor.  Sauroniops is a large theropd with very long jaws filled with blade-like teeth.  Megatherium will be able to drive Sauroniops away in a confrontation on occasion, but its limited mobility will make it difficult to consistently keep the carnivore in front of it.  The powerful jaws of Sauroniops will have some difficulty tearing into the tough hide of Megatherium, but they will still be capable of inflicting serious wounds over the course of a conflict (especially to the head/neck/limb areas).  Sauroniops is more accustomed to dealing with adversaries close to its own weight than Megatherium.  Edge to Sauroniops.

22. Female Elephant Seal vs Leopard Seal: The female Northern elephant seal will be a little heavier than the leopard seal (approximately 30% more).  Leopard seals are aggressive, active predators with impressive jaws.  Elephant seals are predators as well, but a female one isn't likely to be a formidable as a male leopard seal.  The small weight difference might make it interesting, but I'd favor the leopard seal more times than not.  If a female Southern elephant seal is used, she will be too heavy for the leopard seal to deal with on most occasions.  In regards to the Northern one, edge to leopard seal.

23. Bull Elephant Seal vs Female Walrus: A bull elephant seal (Southern) can weigh 4 times as much as a female walrus.  The presence of tusks certainly gives the walrus an advantage in the weaponry department, but she's giving up a lot of size to an aggressive pinniped with a decent bite.  The walrus can possibly win with a well-placed strike, but on most occasions she will be bullied around by the larger mammal (even if it's a Northern elephant seal, which will still be significantly heavier).  Bull elephant seal wins.   

24. Alligator Snapping Turtle vs Komodo Dragon: The alligator snapping turtle can weigh more than a komodo dragon, but their weights won't be too far off.  Alligator snappers have a tough shell covering their bodies, and a sharp-edged set of jaws (and a bite force comparable to a spotted hyena's bite).  Komodo dragons have potentially deadly bites (bacteria/toxin), but this bite won't have as profound an effect on another reptile as it will on a mammal, and there won't be many vulnerable areas on the turtle available for a komodo to attack.  The snapping bite of the turtle will likely deter the komodo from persisting in any attack.  Edge to alligator snapping turtle.

25. Reticulated Python vs Oarfish: An oarfish is a very long fish that can likely get longer & heavier than a reticulated python, but offers nothing in regards to offense in this battle.  Oarfish predate upon very small organisms, and reticulated pythons tackle large prey items.  The python can constrict animals larger than itself, and is better equipped to succeed here than the oarfish.  Reticulated python wins.

26. Cicada Killer vs Paper Wasp: The cicada killer is a stout wasp, and it's about twice the length of a paper wasp.  Both wasps can sting.  The larger cicada killer can make better use of its large jaws, and the paper wasp will probably be quicker.  Not sure here, but I'd probably go with the cicada killer.

27. Jackal vs Honey Badger: The largest jackals will have a small weight advantage over a honey badger.  The jackal will have better lateral quickness, but the honey badger has strong jaws, sharp claws, & a ferocious disposition.  The jackal's bite won't have great effect on the honey badger's thick hide, and the honey badger will easily drive it away.  Honey badger wins.

28. Dingo vs Coyote: These canids have similar abilities & attributes, but the coyote is typically heavier.  Both have good lateral quickness, decent bites, and good endurance.  Both are more comfortable engaging adversaries in a pack.  Dingoes don't have other large predators to compete with, but coyotes do (wolves, wolverines, bobcats, etc.).  Edge to coyote.

29. Koala vs Wolverine: The wolverine will weigh at least 30% more than the koala.  Koalas seem cute & cuddly, but they can be quite temperamental & aggressive when annoyed.  Koalas have sharp claws to scratch with, and will also bite.  Wolverines are strong, fierce predators that rarely back down from a tussle.  They have powerful jaws & sharp claws.  A koala won't be able to put up enough resistance to keep a wolverine from overpowering it.  Wolverine wins.

30. Lynx vs Caracal: Depends on the type of lynx.  These animals are very similar in attributes & abilities, so size will be the primary deciding factor in determining a winner.  Caracals weigh more than Iberian lynxes, less than Eurasian lynxes, and about the same as Canadian lynxes.  A caracal will be favored against the Iberian lynx, lose to the Eurasian lynx, and be an even fight for the Canadian lynx.  Overall a 50/50.

I wish you well in your educational endeavors!

Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.