Interspecies Conflict/Vs. Battles, Randome Questions, ect.

Hiya It's my younger brothers 20th birthday and he has a job now yay for him!

As for me however I'm almost 23 and don't have a job and I've finsished up college so I literally have all the time in the world I slept in till 5 today can you believe it.

Anyway for the subject at hand when it comes to dinosaur battles I mainly like to use theropods and I'm discovering new ones everyday. Whenever I match them up with one another and receive the results of your response I match them up again with what I believe to be the closest matchup based on what you said. Here we go.

1. Tarbosaurus vs. Sauroniops
2. Dryptosaurus vs. Afrovenator
3. Yutyrannus vs. Megalosaurus
4. Nanotyrannus vs. Sinotyrannus
5. Utahraptor vs. Monolophosaurus
6. Megaraptor vs. Deltadromeus
7. Gorgosaurus vs. Allosaurus
8. Daspletosaurus vs. Torvosaurus
9. Saurophaganax vs. Mapusaurus

Random Question. Why is it that conservationists first priority is to the carnivorous wildlife? Example a lioness nearly had her leg torn off by a buffalo and they sent in a medical team to patch it up. Now I've never seen the same done for a buffalo injured by lions they usually just leave them to be preyed upon by the lions I gauss that makes sense with it being a kill for survival kind of situation but aren't the buffalos doing the same thing? I mean if buffalos provide prey for carnivores can't lions do the same for other species?

Unbalanced Matchups

1. Sarcosuchus vs. Megatherium
2. Deinosuchus vs. Megalodon
3. Sarcosuchus vs. Orca
4. Deinosuchus vs. Megatherium
5. Sarcosuchus vs. Dunkleosteus
6. Deinosuchus vs. Orca
7. Sarcosuchus vs. Titanoboa
8. Deinosuchus vs. Elephant
9. Giant Jaguar vs. Gigantopethicus
10. Elephant Seal vs. Gigantopethicus
11. Yak vs. Gigantopethicus
12. Spanish Bull vs. Gigantopethicus
13. Giant Eland vs. Gigantopethicus
14. Entelodont vs. Gigantopethicus
15. Megalania vs. Gigantopethicus

Whoa have I certainly got a load on my hands. Take as long as you need.

Hello Max.  Happy birthday to your brother!

1. Tarbosaurus vs. Sauroniops: Sauroniops probably weighed close to 1/3 more than Tarbosaurus.  Tarbosaurus was similar to a Tyrannosaurus in abilities & attributes, while Sauroniops was akin to Giganotosaurus.  Both theropods had huge jaws, but the larger dinosaur is favored here.  Sauroniops wins.

2. Dryptosaurus vs. Afrovenator: These dinosaurs were close in weight, but Dryptosaurus typically got heavier.  As neither theropod had a significant advantage in weaponry, the larger one will be favored.  Edge to Dryptosuarus.

3. Yutyrannus vs. Megalosaurus: Yutyrannus, by most accounts, was about 40% heavier than Megalosaurus.  Both were fearsome carnivores with large jaws & sharp teeth, but the larger size of Yutyrannus would give it the advantage here.  Some estimates of Megalosaurus place it as being close to 2 tons, but that may be an exaggeration.  Edge to Yutyrannus as long as it has the weight advantage.

4. Nanotyrannus vs. Sinotyrannus: Sinotyrannus was heavier than Nanotyrannus, and Nanotyrannus may have been a juvenile Tyrannosaurus.  Even if it was a separate species, its smaller size would be a disadvantage against the larger theropod.  Sinotyrannus wins.

5. Utahraptor vs. Monolophosaurus: Utahraptor was approximately 3/4 the weight of Monolophosaurus, but was much more formidable (pound-for-pound).  Monolophosaurus had decent jaws, but so did Utahraptor, and the dromaeosaurid was also armed with claws on its forelimbs (for grasping) and hindlimbs (for kicking/slashing).  Utahraptor was quite agile, and was a good leaper.  Utahraptor wins.

6. Megaraptor vs. Deltadromeus: Deltadromeus may have been double the Megaraptor's weight.  Deltadromeus had formidable jaws, and a light build that suggested it was likely a swift, agile predator.  Megaraptor was a theropod with slashing claws on its forelimbs (as opposed to its hindlimbs like a Utahraptor has).  Good fight at close weights, but the larger dinosaur is favored here.  Deltadromeus wins.

7. Gorgosaurus vs. Allosaurus: These dinosaurs may have been similar in weight, but some estimations of Allosaurus place it as being heavier (20% or more).  Both had dangerous jaws with sharp teeth, but the larger Allosaurus has the edge.  Allosaurus wins.

8. Daspletosaurus vs. Torvosaurus: These 2 were close in weight by most accounts.  Daspletosaurus was akin to Tyrannosaurus, and Torvosaurus was akin to Megalosaurus.  Both had the typical theropod attributes (large jaws/sharp teeth), and there were subtle differences, but nothing profound enough to give either one a huge advantage at parity.  Some estimates of Torvosaurus (particularly the ones found in Europe) place it as being somewhat heavier than Daspletosaurus.  The larger theropod will likely be the winner.

9. Saurophaganax vs. Mapusaurus: Not a lot is known about Saurophaganax, but it was probably close to the weight of Mapusaurus.  Many estimations place Saurophaganax as being heavier than Mapusaurus, and some assign Mapusaurus as the heavier dinosaur.  With both having fearsome jaws & teeth and formidable predatory capabilities, the heavier theropod will likely be the winner.

Q: Why is it that conservationists first priority is to the carnivorous wildlife?  Example a lioness nearly had her leg torn off by a buffalo and they sent in a medical team to patch it up.  Now I've never seen the same done for a buffalo injured by lions they usually just leave them to be preyed upon by the lions I guess that makes sense with it being a kill for survival kind of situation but aren't the buffalos doing the same thing?  I mean if buffalos provide prey for carnivores can't lions do the same for other species?
A: The animals that typically take priority are the endangered & vulnerable ones.  Lions, tigers, polar bears, pandas, elephants, rhinos, California condors, & mountain gorillas are just a few examples of these.  Cape buffalo are not endangered; there are lots of them.

1. Sarcosuchus vs. Megatherium: Sarcosuchus (known as "SuperCroc") weighed almost 2/3 more than Megatherium's weight (and perhaps more).  Megatherium was a huge mammal with powerful forelimbs (armed with claws) and tough hide (consisting of a layer of tiny bits of bone that acted as chain mail).  When standing, it was close to 4 times the shoulder height of Sarcosuchus (when flat on the ground).  Sarcosuchus was covered in osteoderms (bony growths) on its body, and was armed with huge jaws.  Its jaws weren't as powerful as the jaws of Deinosuchus (which had a more robust head), but it was still capable of capturing large prey items.  Neither animal had great mobility on land.  Sarcosuchus likely had poor stamina on land as well, but would not have to exert a great deal of energy defending itself from the slow-moving Megatherium (which wouldn't be quick enough to circle around to avoid the jaws).  Megatherium's offense (swiping claws) would only have moderate effect against the armored hide of Sarcosuchus, and the reptile's bite would have moderate effect against the armored hide of the giant sloth.  However, once the jaws of Sarcosuchus clamped onto an extremity (or the head) of Megatherium, it would gain a great deal of control of the mammal's movements, and have a chance to cause injury if it chose to spin (crocodilians can twist & spin even if on land).  There's always the small chance of Sarcosuchus tiring before it subdues Megatherium, at which point the mammal might gain the advantage, but the reptile will be the more powerful combatant in this matchup.  A water battle would be strongly in favor of Sarcosuchus, but a land battle will be reasonably close, and may end in a stalemate.  Edge to Sarcosuchus.

2. Deinosuchus vs. Megalodon: Megalodon weighed over 5 times as much as Deinosuchus.  Megalodon resembled a great white shark, but was more robust, and much larger (2 1/2 times as long and approximately 15-20 times as heavy).  Its huge jaws were armed with numerous razor-sharp teeth.  Deinosuchus was an alligator-like creature that was twice as long as a saltwater crocodile and over 8 times as heavy.  It had powerful jaws for gripping prey (to drown), and was covered in osteoderms (bony growths).  The bite of a crocodilian doesn't have as profound an effect against a large aquatic animal as it does a large land animal being pulled into a river, and the huge size & girth of Megalodon would make it nearly impossible for Deinosuchus to land a solid bite.  One bite from Megalodon could seriously injure Deinosuchus despite its armor.  From a size perspective, this would be like a great white shark taking on an American alligator.  Megalodon wins.

3. Sarcosuchus vs. Orca: Sarcosuchus weighed about the same as a large orca (killer whale).  Sarcosuchus had an osteoderm-covered body & long slender jaws.  Orcas are intelligent mammals, great hunters, and have jaws lined with teeth & good mobility in the water.  Sarcosuchus can win with a few bites (even though its bite isn't as formidable as Deinosuchus' bite), but it would likely fall victim to the numerous bites of the more maneuverable orca.  Reasonably close battle, but orca wins.

4. Deinosuchus vs. Megatherium: Deinosuchus weighed over 85% more than Megatherium. Megatherium was a huge mammal with powerful forelimbs (armed with claws) and tough hide (consisting of a layer of tiny bits of bone that acted as chain mail).  When standing, it was close to 4 times the shoulder height of Deinosuchus (over 3 times the shoulder height if Deinosuchus is walking and not flat on the ground).  Deinosuchus was an alligator-like creature that was twice as long as a saltwater crocodile and over 8 times as heavy.  It had powerful jaws for gripping prey (to drown), and was covered in osteoderms (bony growths).  As in the Sarcosuchus vs Megatherium battle, these animals will find it difficult to serious injure one another on many occasions, and a stalemate may occur.  The jaws of Deinosuchus were probably a lot more powerful than those of Sarcosuchus, and it likely weighed a little bit more.  Deinosuchus easily wins in water, but a land battle will be closer.  Edge to Deinosuchus.

5. Sarcosuchus vs. Dunkleosteus:  Sarcosuchus (also known as SuperCroc) weighed about twice as much as Dunkleosteus.  Dunkleosteus (giant armored fish) was covered anteriorly by armored plating, and had an extremely strong bite force that enabled it to bite through almost anything with ease.  Sarcosuchus was covered in osteoderms (bony knobs), but Dunkleosteus would have been able to breach this hide.  Sarcosuchus had long, powerful jaws of its own, but they were slender compared to the similarly-sized Deinosuchus.  Dunkleosteus was capable of moving swiftly at times to pursue prey, but it wasn't a very agile creature.  Neither animal would have a significant edge in mobility.  However, the posterior end of Dunkleosteus was unprotected, and the Sarcosuchus would have been able to clamp onto this area at some point during the fight & seize the advantage.  Both animals are capable of victory, but most of the time the larger Sarcosuchus will prevail.  Edge to Sarcosuchus.

6. Deinosuchus vs. Orca: An orca weighs about 85% of Deinosuchus' weight and can be 75% of its length.  The main points to consider in this battle are bites, maneuverability, & hide.  Deinosuchus was a giant alligator-like reptile with a huge bite force & teeth designed to grip, hold, & crush.  The orca's bite is designed to hold prey in place, but can remove large chunks of flesh (with 4" teeth).  Deinosuchus wasn't as mobile in open water as an orca is, but was capable of turning quickly to snap with its jaws.  The hide of Deinosuchus would make it somewhat difficult to penetrate, but the orca's jaws would be effective in areas other than the heavily-protected top side of the reptile.  The robust body of the orca would mean that a bite by Deinosuchus would need to be applied on a fin or the tail to have the greatest effect, and the agility of the killer whale in the water would make this action problematic.  Although it would take an accumulation of bites for the orca to overcome Deinosuchus, it should have the mobility (and stamina) to achieve this before receiving a serious bite from the Deinosuchus (assuming the weights are close).  Close to 50/50 at these weights, edge to orca.

7. Sarcosuchus vs. Titanoboa: Sarcosuchus & Titanoboa were about the same length (the snake slightly longer), but Sarcosuchus was about 7 times heavier (and perhaps much more).  Titanoboa frequently attacked & overcame large animals, but the Sarcosuchus would have been out of its league.  This battle would be similar to a green anaconda trying to tackle a huge saltwater crocodile.  Titanoboa simply wouldn't have much success suffocating an animal of this size & weight.  Titanoboa would have found a worthy adversary in today's saltwater crocodile.  Large constrictors usually meet their match in crocodilians that weigh more than they do (even though they can be almost twice as long at similar weights).  The huge bite of Sarcosuchus would likely do major damage to the spinal column of Titanoboa when it clamped on, and a skull bite would certainly dispatch the snake.  Sarcosuchus wins.

8. Deinosuchus vs. Elephant: Deinosuchus weighed about 55% more than an African elephant, and was almost 45% of its shoulder height when flat on its belly.  Of all modern land animals, only the elephant & the white rhino would have any reasonable chance of winning a land battle with Deinosuchus.  Although Deinosuchus would have limited mobility & stamina on land, its armored hide would make it difficult for the elephant to mount an effective offense against it.  The powerful jaws of the huge crocodilian could grasp a limb (or trunk) and limit the elephants mobility (and options) considerably.  The elephant won't have the quickness to circle around to the side of Deinosuchus, and won't be heavy enough in comparison to it to crush it underfoot.  Ramming into Deinosuchus' side might have some effect, but the reptile will likely counter quickly with its bite.  Without water nearby for Deinosuchus to utilize, a stalemate may occur, but a water battle will strongly favor the reptile.  Overall edge to Deinosuchus.  

9. Giant Jaguar vs. Gigantopithecus: Gigantopithecus weighed over twice as much as the giant jaguar.  Giant jaguars were estimated to be close to the size of a modern-day lion or tiger, and had the attributes of a modern-day jaguar (powerful stocky bodies, large heads, tremendous jaw strength).  Gigantopithecus shared attributes with modern-ape orangutans & gorillas (hairy bodies, strength, long arms, etc.).  Apes usually grab & bite in conflicts that get serious, but typically use displays of intimidation (sometimes as a group) as opposed to physical means.  Big cats are specialists at killing, and are adept at maneuvering into a favorable position to land a finishing bite to the throat/neck/spine/skull/snout of their quarry.  Jaguars can crunch through skulls or spinal columns, and a giant jaguar certainly had the ability to dispatch a Gigantopithecus in this manner.  The arms of the huge ape would be able to keep the giant jaguar at bay on occasion, but the quickness, agility, athleticism, & claw usage would give the cat a decent chance to prevail.  From a size perspective this is similar to a leopard taking on a western gorilla, but jaguars are a bit more formidable (pound-for-pound) than leopards, and the modern gorilla was likely a bit more formidable (pound-for-pound) than Gigantopithecus.  Edge to giant jaguar.

10. Elephant Seal vs. Gigantopithecus: A Northern elephant seal weighs over 4 times as much as the Gigantopithecus, and a Southern elephant seal weighs almost 7 times as much.  Elephant seals fight by rearing up to face one another, and forcefully crashing their upper bodies into their opponent while attempting to deliver a bite.  These battles can be rather bloody.  Apes don't have a predatory nature that enables them to overpower a similar-sized animal using a specific killing technique, and Gigantopithecus would have no clue how to proceed against an opponent of this size.  The giant ape doesn't have the offensive tools to make a meaningful dent in an elephant seal's defenses, and the massive pinniped would simply bully it around when it came into range.  Elephant seal wins.

11. Yak vs. Gigantopithecus: A yak can weigh over twice as much as Gigantopithecus.  Yaks are typically docile, but can defend themselves with their horns & hooves if threatened.  Gigantopithecus would not have the power or know-how to subdue a yak, and would be driven away by the stronger animal.  This would be akin to a gorilla taking on a muskox.  Yak wins.

12. Spanish Bull vs. Gigantopithecus: A Spanish fighting bull can weigh 1/3 more than Gigantopithecus.  Spanish fighting bull have powerful, muscular bodies, and forward-pointing horns that can be used to impale adversaries.  Gigantopithecus has long arms, great strength, and a decent bite, but doesn't have the know-how to use its assets to effectively subdue the bovid or repel its violent attacks.  The bull has the means at its disposal to dispatch the ape, and the same is not true with the reverse.  Spanish bull wins.

13. Giant Eland vs. Gigantopithecus: A giant eland can weigh over 2/3 more than Gigantopithecus.  Elands are the largest antelopes, and have very athletic bodies.  They have spiral-shaped horns, and are accustomed to defending themselves against lions, leopards, & other African predators.   Gigantopithecus is a strong animal with long arms and a decent bite, but no predatory instincts/abilities.  It likely won't have the know-how to wrap its arms around the eland's neck to choke it or tackle it (no modern ape does this).  Gigantopithecus' arsenal will likely consist of flailing, pulling, grabbing, biting, and displays of aggression (modern apes do this).  None of these things will be reasonably effective against an angry eland armed with sharp horns & hooves.  Giant eland wins.

14. Entelodont vs. Gigantopithecus: The largest entelodont, Daeodon, weighed almost twice as much as Gigantopithecus.  Daeodon was about the size of a bison, but somewhat resembled a giant warthog.  It had a bone-crushing bite, and was accustomed to dealing with dangerous rivals.  Gigantopithecus was a huge ape with characteristics of orangutans & gorillas, but was probably a relatively peaceful animal compared to the entelodont.  Despite what Gigantopithecus looked like it could physically do, it likely didn't have the know-how to bring its physical assets to bear in regards to effectively subduing an attacking entelodont (or other large animal).  Daeodon's jaws & tusks would probably finish off the ape without too much trouble.  Entelodont wins.

15. Megalania vs. Gigantopithecus: Megalania weighed over twice as much as Gigantopithecus.  Megalania was a giant monitor lizard (but stockier) with similar attributes as modern-day ones (tough hide, sharp teeth & claws, whip-like tail), and may have had a toxic bite like today's Komodo dragons do.  Gigantopithecus had a decent mobility advantage on land, but didn't have the proper weaponry (or experience) to take advantage of this.  Megalania's bite, which would have a good chance of landing, would likely affect the ape rather quickly, and the advantage would shift rapidly to the carnivore.  From a size perspective, this would be like a Komodo dragon taking on a bonobo chimp.  Megalania wins.

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.