Interspecies Conflict/giant panda

1) 200kg gorila vs 150kg giant panda
2) 85kg leopard vs 150kg giant panda
3) giant panda vs asian black bear (pariti)

Hi David,

1) I actually like the gorilla at parity against a panda, so with 50kg it should definitely win. Bears aren't good match ups for gorillas, but pandas aren't on the same level as most other bears. Good weaponry and well built sure, but they do very little fighting in their lives and I just can't really see a panda being able to do anything really decisive against a larger gorilla.

2) At these weights I'd probably lean towards the panda. The leopard is by far the more formidable animal but that weight gap is very large.

3) Could go either way really. I'll favour the black bear. It will be more agile and aggressive and that's really all we can go on.

Hope that helps.

Interspecies Conflict

Jim Wilson

I can answer most questions relating to real or hypothetical situations. I have a better understanding of animal behavior and specifically predatory behavior and interspecies predatory relationships. Mammals is my field of expertise but I can do my best in answering questions regarding other animals. Small mammals are my favourite matchups. One or two prehistoric match-ups is OK, but please do not focus on them as they are outside my expertise.

Even before completing my degree I considered myself an expert in mammal behavior. Doing my degree only furthered my interest and knowledge in the subject. After uni I got the opportunity to spend 6 months in South Africa and Kenya where I spent nearly every day basically observing and studying the animals of the savanna.

BSc Degree in Zoology from the Melbourne University, Australia.