Interspecies Conflict/kangaroo

Hello, Jim.  Welcome back!

There is a video on YouTube that shows a kangaroo kicking a man into a lake.  Are kangaroos mean, or just mischievous?

Thanks, Brad

Thank you very much Brad!

That would depend on who you ask and what kind of experiences they have had with kangaroos! Also depends on the species. Grey roos are generally quite placid and barely give humans a second glance. During mating season it can be different, and you don't really want to get very close to either the males or females with joeys. Male Red Kangaroos tend to be a bit more aggressive by nature, but even then, they usually are not a problem.

So basically they are normally very placid and nice animals, but catch them in the wrong moment and they can be downright mean!

Cheers Brad

Interspecies Conflict

Jim Wilson

I can answer most questions relating to real or hypothetical situations. I have a better understanding of animal behavior and specifically predatory behavior and interspecies predatory relationships. Mammals is my field of expertise but I can do my best in answering questions regarding other animals. Small mammals are my favourite matchups. One or two prehistoric match-ups is OK, but please do not focus on them as they are outside my expertise.

Even before completing my degree I considered myself an expert in mammal behavior. Doing my degree only furthered my interest and knowledge in the subject. After uni I got the opportunity to spend 6 months in South Africa and Kenya where I spent nearly every day basically observing and studying the animals of the savanna.

BSc Degree in Zoology from the Melbourne University, Australia.