Interspecies Conflict/Squid vs Hippo

Question
Hi again Bk,nice to be contacting you again.So any ways ive been wondering on who would win between a max sized colossal squid and a bull hippo.I would like your opinion.

Also if a gorilla did battle with a wolverine and the fight took place in deep snow who would emerge victories.

thank you

Answer
Hello Trish.  Good to hear from you.

max-sized colossal squid vs bull hippo: Interesting matchup!  The largest colossal squid ever measured weighed over 1/2 ton, and it's possible ones exist that exceed a ton.  Big bull hippos usually weigh 2-3 tons when fully grown, although some past-their-prime specimens may weigh even more.  Colossal squid are likely slow movers, but can quickly "wrap up" an animal that comes within range of their long tentacles (which are armed with hooks).  Sperm whales prey on prey upon colossal squid, but these cephalopods apparently put up a good struggle.  Hippo love the water, but they aren't swimmers.  They walk or bounce along the bottom of a river's deeper parts, but usually congregate in the more shallow areas.  Hippos can open their jaws almost 4ft wide, and are armed with forward-pointing incisors (to thrust toward adversaries) and large canines (to bite & slash with).  In a battle between a colossal squid and a bull hippo, there won't be a water depth the fight can take place in where both animals will be in their element.  In shallower water the hippo will be at home, and will have sufficient mobility to attack the squid with its jaws (and can kill it with a bite to the mantle).  The squid won't have much room to move in shallower water (especially up & down), and probably won't be able to get into the position it wants to wrap up the hippo before getting seriously injured itself.  The colossal squid may be able to secure its tentacles around the hippo's body (and perhaps be in a position of relative safety from a counter-attack), but the hippo will be strong enough to drag the cephalopod where it wants to go (even back onto land).  In deeper water (where the hippo's maneuverability will be limited), it won't be able to attack the squid as effectively and will be in danger of being drowned once ensnared by the squid's tentacles.  There's really not an arena where a fair fight can take place (even without considering climate considerations).  The hippo can kill the squid much easier than the squid can kill it in shallower water, but loses that advantage in deeper water.  In shallow water (probably 6-8ft deep or less) the hippo will be favored, but in deeper water (probably anything 6-8ft deep or more) the colossal squid will be favored.     

gorilla vs wolverine (in deep snow): A gorilla can weigh over 10 times as much as a wolverine.  Gorillas don't usually engage in serious fights even among themselves (usually resort to intimidation & bluffing), but can be dangerous adversaries with their long muscular arms (primarily for grabbing & pulling), sharp canines, & high bite forces.  Although these primates aren't practiced at fighting animals outside their own species, they aren't pushovers.  Wolverines are among the strongest mammals pound-for-pound, and are usually aggressive & confrontational when dealing with other animals.  They have bites strong enough to crunch through frozen meat & bone, and have powerful limbs armed with sharp claws.  Wolverines are supple mustelids that readily fight from their backs, and occasionally drive wolves, lynxes, & even bears from carcass sites.  A fight between a gorilla and a wolverine in deep snow will put the gorilla at a disadvantage (the gorilla won't be accustomed to moving around in deep snow/a wolverine's paws enable it to easily navigate over snow).  Wolverines can subdue elk & even moose in deep snow because these cervids get bogged down and can't move well at all; the wolverine attacks without fear from a counter-attack from hooves or antlers.  A gorilla won't be comfortable fighting in snow, but will be able to utilize its arms & bite against the wolverine better than a bogged-down cervid will be able to defend itself with its weapons.  The wolverine may rush in and attack the gorilla with jaws & claws, but the gorilla will be able to grab with its hands to control the mustelid despite being slowed by the presence of deep snow.  A gorilla's bite can seriously injure a wolverine, and its greater size will mean its strength will also be much greater.  The wolverine can win this with a quick, ferocious attack (and it's in its element), but it won't be favored against a gorilla due to the ape's assets & abilities being good enough to defend itself and counter-attack adequately (again, this is without considering climate, where the gorilla will realistically freeze very quickly in an area of deep snow).  Edge to gorilla.

Very good questions!

Best regards.

Interspecies Conflict

BK