Interspecies Conflict/varied

hi there bk.500lb siberian tiger vs 500lb giant forest hog.500lb black bear vs 500lb giant forest hog.200lb male leopard vs 200lb female jaguar.large male sloth bear vs large green anaconda.gray wolf vs game bred american pit bull terrier.thanks bk:)

Hello Chris.

500lb Siberian tiger vs 500lb giant forest hog: Giant forest hogs among the largest of all suids, and have stocky, durable bodies and sharp tusks that can be used to effectively defend themselves.  The tiger's quickness, agility, and killing know-how will be great assets, but it will need to be careful in a face-to-face encounter.  Suids are a common menu item for the Siberian tiger, but large ones can present a unique challenge for any big cat due to their tough hides, formidable weaponry, and good lateral movement.  The tiger will need to use its forelimbs (and claws) to control the movement of the giant forest hog's head, and apply a finishing throat/spine bite while the tusks of the suid are neutralized (and may use its body weight to knock the hog over before biting it).  The tiger won't succeed every time (and will be driven away on many occasions without the benefit of an ambush), but should have enough experience to prevail more times than not if it's determined.  Edge to Siberian tiger.

500lb black bear vs 500lb giant forest hog: Black bears have typical ursid attributes (strength, endurance, durability, jaws & claws), but aren't as formidable (pound-for-pound) as brown bears are.  Giant forest hogs live in Africa and don't encounter bears, but have the means to deal with one in a battle (tough hides, sharp tusks, good lateral quickness).  Black bears primary eat vegetation, fish, insects, & fruit, but will occasionally predate upon small-to-medium sized animals.  They aren't practiced at dealing with animals in their size range, but will have the ability put up a fierce fight in a confrontation with one.  The bear's forelimbs (and body weight) will need to be used to control the anterior portion of the giant forest hog's body to keep the tusks at bay.  In a realistic encounter the giant forest hog will drive the bear away, but a battle between determined individuals can go either way.  The bear will have more strength, more diverse weaponry, and greater stamina.  The giant forest hog will be quicker and be able to inflict damage quickly if the bear doesn't arrest its movements.  Close to 50/50.

200lb male leopard vs 200lb female jaguar: These cats are generally considered to be the strongest pound-for-pound (with the jaguar having the edge).  Leopards drag heavy prey items into trees to protect them from other predators, and this is an impressive feat.  They also are battle-tested, often dealing with lions, hyenas, baboons (among others).  Jaguars also drag prey items into trees from time-to-time to escape rising water, and occasionally deal with caimans & anacondas.  Jaguars have a unique way of dispatching prey, which is biting through the skull or spinal cord of their quarry (some other cats will employ a neck bite, but most clamp onto the throat or snout to induce asphyxiation).  Their bite force is the strongest among cats (in ratio to their body size), and the force generated can crush turtle shells & caiman armor.  The leopard, being male, will likely have an edge in aggression over the female jaguar.  The leopard will probably have an advantage in quickness & agility, but the jaguar will have a stockier & more powerful build.  In a realistic confrontation, the male will have enough fight in him to drive the female away, but I favor the jaguar slightly in a down & dirty battle due to her bigger bite & finishing method.   

large male sloth bear vs large green anaconda: The sloth bear will weigh slightly more than the anaconda.  Anacondas are great ambush hunters, but aren't great combatants on land due to poor mobility & limited stamina.  Sloth bears have strong jaws & sharp claws that can injure adversaries, and have great endurance.  Most animals that anacondas begin wrapping up don't have the means to fight back & escape, but the sloth bear will.  The violent resistance of the sloth bear (with biting & clawing) will quickly cause the anaconda's endurance to wane.  A battle on land or shallow water will favor the sloth bear, but the anaconda will have the advantage in deeper water.

gray wolf vs game-bred American pit bull terrier: A grey wolf can weigh twice as much as an American pit bull terrier.  Game-bred pitbulls are custom-made for combat with another canid, and have the power, strong jaws, athleticism, durability & mentality to be great at it.  Grey wolves are typically physically superior than domestic dogs (wild instincts, stronger jaws, more powerful builds, etc.), but aren't as accustomed to one-on-one fighting as a pit bull that's trained to do just that (wolves usually deal with other animals in a pack).  Most domestic dogs (even trained ones) won't stand a chance against a grey wolf without a weight advantage, but the APBT (game-bred) is probably the most formidable domestic dog (pound-for-pound) on the planet.  The APBT will rush in immediately to attack the wolf, and the wolf will attempt to counter with its huge bite.  The intensity & duration of the APBT's attack will have a small chance of wearing the wolf down before the wolf's bite does enough damage to subdue the pit bull, but the weight advantage enjoyed by the wolf here will make this occurrence improbable.  An APBT will be favored at close weights, but not against a grey wolf double its own weight.  Edge to grey wolf.

Best regards.  

Interspecies Conflict

Questions regarding animal conflicts within realistic or unrealistic settings are welcome; my strength lies in medium-to-large species. Small animals (including birds of prey), prehistoric animals, sea creatures, and domestic dog breeds are usually within my scope, but to a lesser degree. I can't confidently answer hypothetical questions about human vs animal, arachnids, insects, or amphibians, but I am willing to field them nonetheless.

From a young age, I have been interested in animals. Starting with the original Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and World Book Encyclopedias, I have seen many animal shows and documentaries and have read multiple books on the subject. I have a solid understanding of the physiology of many animals and interspecies conflict in general.

Associate degree in unrelated field; biology classes in college.