Interspecies Conflict/Deadly Fights

Hi Jim,

Alligator vs Burmese python

Rock python/ burmese vs nile croc

anaconda vs nile croc

If spotted hyenas shifted to south america how will they fair against

Lion vs 10 dholes

Hey Siddharth

Alligator vs Burmese Python - The alligator should probably win, with two prime specimens. A real solid, compact animal that will be hard for the python to kill, and obviously some extremely dangerous weaponry.

Rock/Burmese Python vs Nile Croc - As above.

Anaconda vs Nile Croc - As above. Basically, you need a really massive python and a smaller croc for the snake to win. A prime croc or gator is too much.

Spotted hyenas are plains animals so they would only really survive in the Pampas region of Uruguay and Argentina. They would probably do well as there is no competition for prey and the deer there would really be at their mercy. There are no anacondas, alligators, caimans or jaguars in these areas, and very few cougars. But to answer your question; if hyenas could survive in the habitats that the mentioned animals are found, they would really struggle. In an actual fight they would dominate all the other animals obviously (except for the reptiles in water), as they are in a group; but actually competing with them, they would be severely lacking. Too much vegetation, too much water, they would have no hope competing with animals that are far better designed for these environments.

Lion vs 10 Dholes - No where near enough. Ten dead dholes.

Cheers Siddharth.

Interspecies Conflict

Jim Wilson

I can answer most questions relating to real or hypothetical situations. I have a better understanding of animal behavior and specifically predatory behavior and interspecies predatory relationships. Mammals is my field of expertise but I can do my best in answering questions regarding other animals. Small mammals are my favourite matchups. One or two prehistoric match-ups is OK, but please do not focus on them as they are outside my expertise.

Even before completing my degree I considered myself an expert in mammal behavior. Doing my degree only furthered my interest and knowledge in the subject. After uni I got the opportunity to spend 6 months in South Africa and Kenya where I spent nearly every day basically observing and studying the animals of the savanna.

BSc Degree in Zoology from the Melbourne University, Australia.