Interspecies Conflict/tiger vs other big cats..

Question
198 lbs Bali tiger vs 203 lbs Persian leopard
260 lbs Malayan tiger vs 267 lbs cougar
310 lbs Sumatran tiger vs 312 lbs Pantanal jaguar
550 lbs Bengal tiger vs 550 lbs Transvaal lion
600 lbs Siberian tiger vs 586 lbs Barbary lion
530 lbs Caspian tiger vs 500 lbs Sabre toothed tiger

Answer
Hi Khan

I can pretty much just group all these together and discuss it that way. Even at parity I favour tigers over leopards, cougars and jaguars. I suppose its more a gut feeling than anything, but I just consider tigers and lions to be a step above the other big cats, even pound for pound, with their excellent mix of speed and power. The jaguar has the best chance of winning but my instinct is that it would need to have a decent weight advantage to win.

The tigers vs lions ones basically boil down to every other tiger vs lion fight, which if you've read my answers before, I consider 50/50. Changing the species involved really makes very little difference. No lion species is drastically better or worse than another, same with tigers.

Lastly, I would favour the Sabre-toothed tiger over an extant tiger at parity. The 30 lbs makes some difference, but probably not enough. I don't think the sabre-teeth are great for one-on-one conflict with other predators, but the Sabre-tooth is the more heavily built and powerful animal and I think it can control a wrestle with the tiger. If in control and able to get bites in, the tiger is done.

Cheers Khan.

Interspecies Conflict

Jim Wilson